Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ATL Bans Smoking, starting January 2, 2020

ATL Bans Smoking, starting January 2, 2020

Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Good news for nonsmokers who have to walk by those smoking rooms on the way to their gate. Hard to enforce if a passenger on a layover goes in to a SC or public bathroom stall for a few puffs instead of exiting security to do so outside.
Yep, bad news for nonsmokers in the bathrooms who will now have to breathe in the toxic byproduct of the rule-breaking, inconsiderate addicts who light up in a stall.
cmd320 and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BenA

Same; I thought this was a relic basically everywhere except Europe, which is pretty behind the times on public health smoking restrictions.
Europe is certainly not behind when it comes to public health smoking restrictions. When was the last time you tried to smoke in the UK/Europe?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
finally the cancer rooms will be gone.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by MichaelBaku
Europe is certainly not behind when it comes to public health smoking restrictions. When was the last time you tried to smoke in the UK/Europe?
Smokers in Europe (at least in England and France) can still smoke in the outdoor parts of cafes and restaurants, which is not true in the US. It has made sitting outdoors in a cafe a smokier experience than it used to be, as all the smokers are now concentrated at those tables.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by koreanair720
There are at dulles, though!
Yes and I didn't include IAD in my response. Your point?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by hockeystl
Yep, bad news for nonsmokers in the bathrooms who will now have to breathe in the toxic byproduct of the rule-breaking, inconsiderate addicts who light up in a stall.
Many smokers are inconsiderate. I was at a hotel restaurant on Saturday, and used the restroom. Some guy was smoking in the next stall. He then proceeded to try and flush the cigarette down the toilet 20 times.

The stupid thing was that the front entrance where you can smoke is only 100 feet away from the restaurant. Id be for a $1000 fine and banishment from an airport.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

Many smokers are inconsiderate. I was at a hotel restaurant on Saturday, and used the restroom. Some guy was smoking in the next stall. He then proceeded to try and flush the cigarette down the toilet 20 times.

The stupid thing was that the front entrance where you can smoke is only 100 feet away from the restaurant. Id be for a $1000 fine and banishment from an airport.
Someone was definitely smoking in one of the DTW bathrooms last week. The whole place reeked.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

Originally Posted by cmd320
Someone was definitely smoking in one of the DTW bathrooms last week. The whole place reeked.
Write this up as being an unintended consequence of treating smokers worse than we as a society treat dead-beat dads. As a former smoker, I'm telling you that it is a serious addiction that will override your common sense...I never smoked where I wasn't supposed to but I wasn't that heavy a smoker.

Smoking should absolutely not be allowed inside anymore. But half the time to have a "quick" smoke break its a 20 minute walk, then you need a team of sled dogs, and then you have to answer the bridge troll's three questions to get to the 2 square feet in a city block it's "ok" to smoke...I'm exaggerating but not all that much for people who work in skyscrapers.

We can get a small outdoor area at most airports where someone can smoke quick before their flight. It wouldn't be that hard or expensive. Some Cyclone fencing and a few old coffee cans will be more than enough for the smokers to not sneak one in the airport bathroom.

Yes I know people should quit. But it's perfectly ok at the airport to have a huge steak, loaded baked potato, and a huge slice of cheesecake, washed down with 3 beers and a scotch, then hop on a motorized cart to get dropped off at the gate, or maybe a quick pit stop to grab a Double Shake Shack burger for the flight complete with a Coke the size of a large movie theater popcorn. And just before you board pop a couple of Xanax to help you relax.

TLDR: give smokers a tiny outdoor area and they won't smoke inside.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Bradhattan
Think about the repercussions to social security if we don't let people enjoy vices that shorten their lives (I smoke). This push toward health will have its consequences....long live transfats and cigarettes....in fact, make it Gitane!
Remember that "being healthy" just means that you are dying at the slowest possible rate!
SSF556 and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Remember that "being healthy" just means that you are dying at the slowest possible rate!
As my doctor dad always said. We are all dying just at different rates.
obscure2k and strickerj like this.

Last edited by apodo77; Jul 16, 2019 at 11:55 am
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Oh man that smoking room in F in the corner where no one goes - REAL offensive ;-) . But seriously - 15 hrs 20 mins to Seoul, that's a haul. Looks like it's gonna be 17 hrs and 20 mins - once you step foot in that airport NOPE no going back haha!
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Doesn't ATL have a bar where smokers can smoke?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:01 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by steveholt
Yes. The Terrapin Tap House and Lounge in D.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:08 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by steveholt
see post #9
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:19 am

Flying through ATL a few Sundays ago, I saw a Delta FA in one of the smoking rooms - I would be peeved if an FA on my flight reeked of cigarette smoke.

I try to be a live-and-let-live kind of guy but smoking is just absolutely the most illogical, irrational behavior I can think of and I don't care if it's banned/regulated out of existence. (Which is to some extent illogical and irrational, I know...)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.