Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ATL Bans Smoking, starting January 2, 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATL Bans Smoking, starting January 2, 2020

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by SSF556
Smoking/smokers have in my opinion been unfairly picked on for years. The repercussions of alcohol abuse go away beyond what smokers do. When was the last time you heard about a tobacco smoker driving the wrong way on a road taking out an entire family! Also isn't tobacco a natural earth made plant?
Drinking and "Drinking and Driving" are two totally different things. The vast majority of drinkers DONT drink and drive. Just like the vast majority of tobacco users don't discard lit cigarettes into flammable materials. There's nothing a drinker can drive while in an airport or on a plane, so your comparison isn't relevant.

A person drinking doesn't affect anyone else. A person smoking affects everyone who inhales their second hand smoke. Just ask us old folks who used to have to have no choice but to hang out in smoky bars. We may not have gotten lung cancer (yet), but we darn sure smelled like an ashtray the next day. Nowadays, thankfully we don't have to deal with that in most restaurants/bars.

Disclaimer: I drink and smoke cigars.
DenverBrian, lsquare and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
There is no smoking anywhere in CLT. Hasn't been for years.
Thanks for the correction. Obviously it's been a while. Perhaps I'm thinking of another southern hub. RDU?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
When are they going to ban alcohol? How many times have belligerent drunk passengers caused issues inside the airport and on the airplane?

Smoking/smokers have in my opinion been unfairly picked on for years. The repercussions of alcohol abuse go away beyond what smokers do. When was the last time you heard about a tobacco smoker driving the wrong way on a road taking out an entire family! Also isn't tobacco a natural earth made plant?
In Florida there are many accidents caused by old people entering the freeway going the wrong way. Can we ban old people too?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:21 am
Formerly known as scootr29

Originally Posted by HDQDD
Drinking and "Drinking and Driving" are two totally different things. The vast majority of drinkers DONT drink and drive. Just like the vast majority of tobacco users don't discard lit cigarettes into flammable materials. There's nothing a drinker can drive while in an airport or on a plane, so your comparison isn't relevant.

A person drinking doesn't affect anyone else. A person smoking affects everyone who inhales their second hand smoke. Just ask us old folks who used to have to have no choice but to hang out in smoky bars. We may not have gotten lung cancer (yet), but we darn sure smelled like an ashtray the next day. Nowadays, thankfully we don't have to deal with that in most restaurants/bars.

Disclaimer: I drink and smoke cigars.
I am and always will be a skeptic when it comes to secondhand smoke. The internet has opened up the door to hundreds of articles that question the long term affects of secondhand smoke.

I am not a skeptic though when it comes to alcohol abuse and the death that it causes. Just had a neighborhood kid kill himself when he fell off the roof of a fraternity houses at Clemson University...guess what impaired his judgement? That "person" drinking has affected someone...he has affected his Mom and Dad, his brothers, his friends,....

Disclaimer - I am all about personal freedom BUT...I do see alcohol as a bigger personal threat to me than smoking, yet smokers have been banished to the bowels of buildings and to the sidewalks across the street. Yet I have watched many people drink and drink on an airplane or at a business function or on a golf course and then get in their car and drive home!
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by cmd320
In Florida there are many accidents caused by old people entering the freeway going the wrong way. Can we ban old people too?
Life is full of risk that is a given. Secondhand smoke is not one of them!. Old people and drunks now that makes life dangerous!
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dalewood
Wow; I thought every airport provided a place to smoke.
SEA does I'm pretty sure I remember an announcement as we were getting ready to land; FA said upon landing, if you want to smoke you have to proceed to a non-smoking area, which the area outside the terminal building and at least 25 feet away from the doors.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I am and always will be a skeptic when it comes to secondhand smoke. The internet has opened up the door to hundreds of articles that question the long term affects of secondhand smoke.

I am not a skeptic though when it comes to alcohol abuse and the death that it causes. Just had a neighborhood kid kill himself when he fell off the roof of a fraternity houses at Clemson University...guess what impaired his judgement? That "person" drinking has affected someone...he has affected his Mom and Dad, his brothers, his friends,....

Disclaimer - I am all about personal freedom BUT...I do see alcohol as a bigger personal threat to me than smoking, yet smokers have been banished to the bowels of buildings and to the sidewalks across the street. Yet I have watched many people drink and drink on an airplane or at a business function or on a golf course and then get in their car and drive home!
You can argue with science all you want. Go ahead and think the Earth is flat too...

Back in reality land: second hand smoke kills 4 times as many people per year as drunk driving. Smoking in general is tied to 480,000 deaths per year in the US. Drunk driving is about 11,000. (Source: CDC and MADD). Additionally the vast majority of fatal car accidents do not involve alcohol. So should we ban cars too?

Sorry about your neighborhood friend. We just buried my best friend’s mother who smoked most of her life and died of lung cancer (she quit 10 years ago, but the damage was already done). Not that either of these anecdotes change the overall statistics.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
Thanks for the correction. Obviously it's been a while. Perhaps I'm thinking of another southern hub. RDU?
I think back in the 2000s RDU cut it out. I don’t think either of the new terminals ever had smoking areas and T2 opened in 2010. The State of NC outlawed smoking in bars and restaurants (excl private clubs) back in 2010 as well. I don’t know that any of our airports have had it since then.

Many large companies I work with are outlawing it on their whole campus to get better insurance rates.
davidlhanson likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:56 am

You can argue with science all you want. Go ahead and think the Earth is flat too...

Back in reality land: second hand smoke kills 4 times as many people per year as drunk driving. Smoking in general is tied to 480,000 deaths per year in the US. Drunk driving is about 11,000. (Source: CDC and MADD). Additionally the vast majority of fatal car accidents do not involve alcohol. So should we ban cars too?

Sorry about your neighborhood friend. We just buried my best friend’s mother who smoked most of her life and died of lung cancer (she quit 10 years ago, but the damage was already done). Not that either of these anecdotes change the overall statistics.
Ah the ole earth is flat argument...the good ole go to. We are discussing secondhand smoke. There is no doubt that first person smoking has negative health benefits. Just like alcohol abuse has negative health impacts.

The CDC has made it very clear that actually linking secondhand smoke to death is sketchy at best. If smoking is a banned activity why are people still dying of secondhand smoke? Smoking in public has been banned for many years yet the amount of deaths the CDC links to secondhand smoking does not decrease...hmm. Maybe there are other environmental factors at play?

I suggest reading this great article published in the JNCI Journal of the the National Cancer Institute. Keep in mind we are discussing secondhand smoke.

https://academic.oup.com/jnci/articl...4/1844/2517805
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:58 am

I think back in the 2000s RDU cut it out. I don’t think either of the new terminals ever had smoking areas and T2 opened in 2010. The State of NC outlawed smoking in bars and restaurants (excl private clubs) back in 2010 as well. I don’t know that any of our airports have had it since then.

Many large companies I work with are outlawing it on their whole campus to get better insurance rates.
The company I work for charges people more if they smoke. Time will tell if they charge you more for drinking alcohol or being fat!
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Think about the repercussions to social security if we don't let people enjoy vices that shorten their lives (I smoke). This push toward health will have its consequences....long live transfats and cigarettes....in fact, make it Gitane!
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by enviroian
I bet these smoking rooms will never go anywhere in states in the deep south where tobacco is grown IE CLT.
There are no smoking rooms past security at DCA or RIC, both in Virginia, home to Philip Morris.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:41 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
I didn’t realize there were still US airports with smoking rooms.
LAS has a few. Granted, the ashtrays are surrounded by slot machines and you're in a big glass box, but for some its better than trudging all the way outside.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Bradhattan
Think about the repercussions to social security if we don't let people enjoy vices that shorten their lives (I smoke). This push toward health will have its consequences....long live transfats and cigarettes....in fact, make it Gitane!
Dying from cancer is often a pretty expensive way to go. Emergency rooms, operations, chemotherapy, medications and doctors often add up to 100k in their last year of life.

lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
There are no smoking rooms past security at DCA or RIC, both in Virginia, home to Philip Morris.
There are at dulles, though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.