Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ATL Bans Smoking, starting January 2, 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATL Bans Smoking, starting January 2, 2020

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:28 pm

Another one bites the dust.

AFAIK, the following airports still have post-security smoking areas:

LAS - Indoor (with slots, of course)
IAD - Indoor
TPA - Outdoor, nice view of the planes in all honesty

There's probably a couple more, however I assume they'll be gone shortly. I'd put money on Vegas being the final hold-out.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by HotelHacker
I quit smoking years ago but don't understand how the rooms caused any issues for anyone who didn't smoke. If you don't smoke, don't go in there.
It's a plus for the airport which will have more rentable space.

A financial hit for smokers, who merely had to walk into these rooms and inhale without even needing to light up.
flg8rmatt and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by EmptyKim
Did SLC take out smoking rooms? I thought I saw them there a couple years ago.
Yes...gone from SLC.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
My understanding is that the new City ordinance will cause smoking to be banned from those establishments starting January 2, 2020.

The ordinance does allow smoking in tobacco stores, private clubs and cigar bars.
Can't any bar that wants to continue to allow smoking just declare themselves to be a cigar bar? Or do cigar bars have a different type of liquor license?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
There was one at CVG - at least as of maybe a year ago.

It was a 'pay to enter' - cost somewhere from $6-$8 but included a cocktail of choice and in-and-out privileges.

Besides what is listed above, that's all I can think of in the U.S.

Edit: MIA has a weird 'fish-bowl' TGIF where you also have to buy a drink. Off topic for the DL forum other than I was 'cheating' w/ AA.

Last edited by TommyD2; Jul 7, 2019 at 5:55 pm Reason: Added MIA
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
Simple economics...

Agree with others that as a non smoker, I was surprised at the lack of smoke noticeable in the concourse, unless walking very nearby as the doors open.

But, this is currently a cost center for the airport: retail space that has serviceable doors and pretty good ventilation system - again, maintenance, electricity = cost.
By banning the habit, it promotes a potential increase in other smoking bars, and certainly frees up the space for another retail who will pay rent.

Win-win for the airport.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Can't any bar that wants to continue to allow smoking just declare themselves to be a cigar bar? Or do cigar bars have a different type of liquor license?
20% of your profits must come from the sale of said cigars.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by HotelHacker
I quit smoking years ago but don't understand how the rooms caused any issues for anyone who didn't smoke. If you don't smoke, don't go in there.
Except for the employees who have to clean these rooms. Worker safety is usually one of the backbones of these types of regulations.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:36 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
I fly out of LAS. It seems like I have a magnet that my seatmate has spent as much of their time before boarding in the smoking areas as possible (often with the additional smells of still being drunk/not bothering to shower). What a lovely way to start the day.

While I doubt LAS will abolish the smoking spaces any time soon, I am thrilled ATL is doing so. It seems a lot of people transiting ATL-BHM use them too.
davidlhanson and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:23 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TommyD2
There was one at CVG - at least as of maybe a year ago.

It was a 'pay to enter' - cost somewhere from $6-$8 but included a cocktail of choice and in-and-out privileges.

Besides what is listed above, that's all I can think of in the U.S.

Edit: MIA has a weird 'fish-bowl' TGIF where you also have to buy a drink. Off topic for the DL forum other than I was 'cheating' w/ AA.
Yes, MIA has the TGIF Bar opposite the restaurant. It is open air with a canopy.

LAX has an outdoor smoking area in TBIA.

PHX has a smoking area in the secure outdoor causeway between Terminal 2 & Terminal 3.

Originally Posted by BHammy
Simple economics...

Agree with others that as a non smoker, I was surprised at the lack of smoke noticeable in the concourse, unless walking very nearby as the doors open.

But, this is currently a cost center for the airport: retail space that has serviceable doors and pretty good ventilation system - again, maintenance, electricity = cost.
By banning the habit, it promotes a potential increase in other smoking bars, and certainly frees up the space for another retail who will pay rent.

Win-win for the airport.
It isn't a win-win for merchants that sell cigarettes past security. I have purchased cigarettes, at a premium, in ATL. It is more than a habit, it is an addiction.

Typically the smoking areas are quite small and would not be suitable for retail establishments beyond maybe a 1 or 2 chair salon or a magazine store.

Personally, I have never lit up in an airport where it is banned.

I remeber when aircraft had smoking sections with ashtrays in the armrest.

James
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: ANA, JAL
Even in CHC where a pack costs $20 or more there is an Observation Deck (smoking deck) with not much to observe. I've always wondered if it was was due to local ordinances they couldn't call it what it was.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by xiphoid76
I didn’t know airports still had smoking rooms in the USA. I see them in Japan, but guess I have never looked for them here. I am based at MSP, and know we don’t have them.
Many European airports still have them.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:53 am
Formerly known as scootr29

When are they going to ban alcohol? How many times have belligerent drunk passengers caused issues inside the airport and on the airplane?

Smoking/smokers have in my opinion been unfairly picked on for years. The repercussions of alcohol abuse go away beyond what smokers do. When was the last time you heard about a tobacco smoker driving the wrong way on a road taking out an entire family! Also isn't tobacco a natural earth made plant?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by SSF556
When are they going to ban alcohol? How many times have belligerent drunk passengers caused issues inside the airport and on the airplane?

Smoking/smokers have in my opinion been unfairly picked on for years. The repercussions of alcohol abuse go away beyond what smokers do. When was the last time you heard about a tobacco smoker driving the wrong way on a road taking out an entire family! Also isn't tobacco a natural earth made plant?
It boggles my mind how extremely drunk passengers are still permitted to sit in the exit row.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:00 am

I used to be a smoker, but quit about 2 years ago now. I used the smoking room in ATL, and even as a smoker that place was depressing! I'd really like to see a lot more airports put in a small outdoor space. It will greatly discourage smoking in the bathrooms and other areas, and won't take up retail space. And at the airport do we need to turn relatively mild-mannered people into rage monsters because they're having a nicotine fit? Any flight with a connection is going to be bare minimum 4 hours without being able to smoke unless you have a very long connection. And take it from a former smoker, when you NEED a cigarette, you'd consider lighting up in the Sistine Chapel while they are giving a Make a Wish kid a tour...an airport bathroom isn't a big deal at that point! While I never lit up where I wasn't supposed to, I certainly darted off the plane and ran as fast as my smokers lungs would take me to the exit so I could smoke before my colleagues got out and we have to get in the Lyft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.