Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ATL Bans Smoking, starting January 2, 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags

Last week, the Atlanta City Council passed a smoking ban that will take effect on January 2, 2020. Smokers will need to exit security before being able to light up at ATL. An article: AJC.com -Atlanta City Council votes for ban on smoking in public places (July 1, 2019)

And from an Associated Press story:
Atlanta’s airport will fully comply with the ordinance, and the current smoking rooms inside Atlanta’s airport “will be converted to other spaces,” airport spokesman Andrew Gobeil said in an email to The Associated Press on Tuesday.
Link: Associated Press - Atlanta OKs ban on smoking inside bars, restaurant, airport (July 2, 2019)
DenverBrian and davidlhanson like this.

Last edited by RatherBeOnATrain; Jul 7, 2019 at 2:54 pm Reason: Added AP article link & quote
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:54 am

Good news for nonsmokers who have to walk by those smoking rooms on the way to their gate. Hard to enforce if a passenger on a layover goes in to a SC or public bathroom stall for a few puffs instead of exiting security to do so outside.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
MSP has not allowed any indoor smoking anywhere in the airport for years. I didn’t realize there were still US airports with smoking rooms.
Redhead, trooper, BenA and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
MSP has not allowed any indoor smoking anywhere in the airport for years. I didn’t realize there were still US airports with smoking rooms.
Wow; I thought every airport provided a place to smoke.
Boturham likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I bet these smoking rooms will never go anywhere in states in the deep south where tobacco is grown IE CLT.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 11:51 am

I didn’t know airports still had smoking rooms in the USA. I see them in Japan, but guess I have never looked for them here. I am based at MSP, and know we don’t have them.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Same; I thought this was a relic basically everywhere except Europe, which is pretty behind the times on public health smoking restrictions.
wrldwide1 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Vegas has rooms.
I think I saw one in BWI.
Nashville has a "smoke shop/cigar joiint" where you can smoke.

As nasty as I think smoking is, forcing people to leave security is just moving the problem. I would then expect as said earlier - folks will just smoke in the bathroom.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:59 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
I’m not a smoker and have a good sense of smell. I’ve never noticed any smell coming out of the smoking rooms.
BTW, on A, there is the TAP bar where smoking is allowed, you have to be drinking to be smoking. Also allowed in areas of Gordan Biersch and Terrapin.
angra, HotelHacker and GagaPilot like this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:39 pm

Reminds me of being in CDG a few years ago. Ladies room smelled like my middle school bathroom. All the airline and airport employees in their puffing away.

as I understand it the smoking bars also got banned in the new city council regs
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Tomphot
I’m not a smoker and have a good sense of smell. I’ve never noticed any smell coming out of the smoking rooms.
I agree, I actually think this is a pretty stupid idea. I'm not a smoker, but I've walked by these a few hundred times and have never had an issue with them at all. They're tucked out of the way and they bother no one. I don't see any positives whatsoever by eliminating these spaces. All this is going to accomplish is adding just a little extra strain on ATL's already miserable security experience or encourage people light up in a bathroom stall/public area where I'm going to have to smell it.
HotelHacker, emrdoc and dmarge18 like this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Dalewood
Wow; I thought every airport provided a place to smoke.
Sadly no, ATL was one of the few that did. IAD is the only other one in the USA that I know of, now.

I quit smoking years ago but don't understand how the rooms caused any issues for anyone who didn't smoke. If you don't smoke, don't go in there.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by Tomphot
BTW, on A, there is the TAP bar where smoking is allowed, you have to be drinking to be smoking. Also allowed in areas of Gordan Biersch and Terrapin.
My understanding is that the new City ordinance will cause smoking to be banned from those establishments starting January 2, 2020.

The ordinance does allow smoking in tobacco stores, private clubs and cigar bars.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:52 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by enviroian
I bet these smoking rooms will never go anywhere in states in the deep south where tobacco is grown IE CLT.
There is no smoking anywhere in CLT. Hasn't been for years.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Did SLC take out smoking rooms? I thought I saw them there a couple years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.