ATL Bans Smoking, starting January 2, 2020

Old Jul 8, 19, 9:00 am
  #31  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: RDU
Programs: DL DM(segs)/MM, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Posts: 2,445
Originally Posted by SSF556 View Post
Smoking/smokers have in my opinion been unfairly picked on for years. The repercussions of alcohol abuse go away beyond what smokers do. When was the last time you heard about a tobacco smoker driving the wrong way on a road taking out an entire family! Also isn't tobacco a natural earth made plant?
Drinking and "Drinking and Driving" are two totally different things. The vast majority of drinkers DONT drink and drive. Just like the vast majority of tobacco users don't discard lit cigarettes into flammable materials. There's nothing a drinker can drive while in an airport or on a plane, so your comparison isn't relevant.

A person drinking doesn't affect anyone else. A person smoking affects everyone who inhales their second hand smoke. Just ask us old folks who used to have to have no choice but to hang out in smoky bars. We may not have gotten lung cancer (yet), but we darn sure smelled like an ashtray the next day. Nowadays, thankfully we don't have to deal with that in most restaurants/bars.

Disclaimer: I drink and smoke cigars.
strickerj likes this.
HDQDD is offline  
Old Jul 8, 19, 9:34 am
  #32  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Frisco, TX
Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Posts: 17,580
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin View Post
There is no smoking anywhere in CLT. Hasn't been for years.
Thanks for the correction. Obviously it's been a while. Perhaps I'm thinking of another southern hub. RDU?
enviroian is online now  
Old Jul 8, 19, 9:59 am
  #33  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MCO
Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, RC/MR/SPG Plat, HHonors Gold
Posts: 6,185
Originally Posted by SSF556 View Post
When are they going to ban alcohol? How many times have belligerent drunk passengers caused issues inside the airport and on the airplane?

Smoking/smokers have in my opinion been unfairly picked on for years. The repercussions of alcohol abuse go away beyond what smokers do. When was the last time you heard about a tobacco smoker driving the wrong way on a road taking out an entire family! Also isn't tobacco a natural earth made plant?
In Florida there are many accidents caused by old people entering the freeway going the wrong way. Can we ban old people too?
cmd320 is offline  
Old Jul 8, 19, 10:21 am
  #34  
Formerly known as scootr29
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 621
Originally Posted by HDQDD View Post
Drinking and "Drinking and Driving" are two totally different things. The vast majority of drinkers DONT drink and drive. Just like the vast majority of tobacco users don't discard lit cigarettes into flammable materials. There's nothing a drinker can drive while in an airport or on a plane, so your comparison isn't relevant.

A person drinking doesn't affect anyone else. A person smoking affects everyone who inhales their second hand smoke. Just ask us old folks who used to have to have no choice but to hang out in smoky bars. We may not have gotten lung cancer (yet), but we darn sure smelled like an ashtray the next day. Nowadays, thankfully we don't have to deal with that in most restaurants/bars.

Disclaimer: I drink and smoke cigars.
I am and always will be a skeptic when it comes to secondhand smoke. The internet has opened up the door to hundreds of articles that question the long term affects of secondhand smoke.

I am not a skeptic though when it comes to alcohol abuse and the death that it causes. Just had a neighborhood kid kill himself when he fell off the roof of a fraternity houses at Clemson University...guess what impaired his judgement? That "person" drinking has affected someone...he has affected his Mom and Dad, his brothers, his friends,....

Disclaimer - I am all about personal freedom BUT...I do see alcohol as a bigger personal threat to me than smoking, yet smokers have been banished to the bowels of buildings and to the sidewalks across the street. Yet I have watched many people drink and drink on an airplane or at a business function or on a golf course and then get in their car and drive home!
SSF556 is offline  
Old Jul 8, 19, 10:23 am
  #35  
Formerly known as scootr29
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 621
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
In Florida there are many accidents caused by old people entering the freeway going the wrong way. Can we ban old people too?
Life is full of risk that is a given. Secondhand smoke is not one of them!. Old people and drunks now that makes life dangerous!
SSF556 is offline  
Old Jul 8, 19, 10:50 am
  #36  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SEA
Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,796
Originally Posted by Dalewood View Post
Wow; I thought every airport provided a place to smoke.
SEA does I'm pretty sure I remember an announcement as we were getting ready to land; FA said upon landing, if you want to smoke you have to proceed to a non-smoking area, which the area outside the terminal building and at least 25 feet away from the doors.
Carl Johnson is offline  
Old Jul 8, 19, 10:55 am
  #37  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: RDU
Programs: DL DM(segs)/MM, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Posts: 2,445
Originally Posted by SSF556 View Post
I am and always will be a skeptic when it comes to secondhand smoke. The internet has opened up the door to hundreds of articles that question the long term affects of secondhand smoke.

I am not a skeptic though when it comes to alcohol abuse and the death that it causes. Just had a neighborhood kid kill himself when he fell off the roof of a fraternity houses at Clemson University...guess what impaired his judgement? That "person" drinking has affected someone...he has affected his Mom and Dad, his brothers, his friends,....

Disclaimer - I am all about personal freedom BUT...I do see alcohol as a bigger personal threat to me than smoking, yet smokers have been banished to the bowels of buildings and to the sidewalks across the street. Yet I have watched many people drink and drink on an airplane or at a business function or on a golf course and then get in their car and drive home!
You can argue with science all you want. Go ahead and think the Earth is flat too...

Back in reality land: second hand smoke kills 4 times as many people per year as drunk driving. Smoking in general is tied to 480,000 deaths per year in the US. Drunk driving is about 11,000. (Source: CDC and MADD). Additionally the vast majority of fatal car accidents do not involve alcohol. So should we ban cars too?

Sorry about your neighborhood friend. We just buried my best friendís mother who smoked most of her life and died of lung cancer (she quit 10 years ago, but the damage was already done). Not that either of these anecdotes change the overall statistics.
HDQDD is offline  
Old Jul 8, 19, 10:59 am
  #38  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: RDU
Programs: DL DM(segs)/MM, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Posts: 2,445
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Thanks for the correction. Obviously it's been a while. Perhaps I'm thinking of another southern hub. RDU?
I think back in the 2000s RDU cut it out. I donít think either of the new terminals ever had smoking areas and T2 opened in 2010. The State of NC outlawed smoking in bars and restaurants (excl private clubs) back in 2010 as well. I donít know that any of our airports have had it since then.

Many large companies I work with are outlawing it on their whole campus to get better insurance rates.
davidlhanson likes this.
HDQDD is offline  
Old Jul 8, 19, 11:56 am
  #39  
Formerly known as scootr29
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 621
Originally Posted by HDQDD View Post


You can argue with science all you want. Go ahead and think the Earth is flat too...

Back in reality land: second hand smoke kills 4 times as many people per year as drunk driving. Smoking in general is tied to 480,000 deaths per year in the US. Drunk driving is about 11,000. (Source: CDC and MADD). Additionally the vast majority of fatal car accidents do not involve alcohol. So should we ban cars too?

Sorry about your neighborhood friend. We just buried my best friendís mother who smoked most of her life and died of lung cancer (she quit 10 years ago, but the damage was already done). Not that either of these anecdotes change the overall statistics.
Ah the ole earth is flat argument...the good ole go to. We are discussing secondhand smoke. There is no doubt that first person smoking has negative health benefits. Just like alcohol abuse has negative health impacts.

The CDC has made it very clear that actually linking secondhand smoke to death is sketchy at best. If smoking is a banned activity why are people still dying of secondhand smoke? Smoking in public has been banned for many years yet the amount of deaths the CDC links to secondhand smoking does not decrease...hmm. Maybe there are other environmental factors at play?

I suggest reading this great article published in the JNCI Journal of the the National Cancer Institute. Keep in mind we are discussing secondhand smoke.

https://academic.oup.com/jnci/articl...4/1844/2517805
SSF556 is offline  
Old Jul 8, 19, 11:58 am
  #40  
Formerly known as scootr29
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 621
Originally Posted by HDQDD View Post


I think back in the 2000s RDU cut it out. I donít think either of the new terminals ever had smoking areas and T2 opened in 2010. The State of NC outlawed smoking in bars and restaurants (excl private clubs) back in 2010 as well. I donít know that any of our airports have had it since then.

Many large companies I work with are outlawing it on their whole campus to get better insurance rates.
The company I work for charges people more if they smoke. Time will tell if they charge you more for drinking alcohol or being fat!
CO-PLAT likes this.
SSF556 is offline  
Old Jul 8, 19, 5:09 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Programs: aa gold...lol......now EXP
Posts: 341
Think about the repercussions to social security if we don't let people enjoy vices that shorten their lives (I smoke). This push toward health will have its consequences....long live transfats and cigarettes....in fact, make it Gitane!
Bradhattan is offline  
Old Jul 8, 19, 6:06 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Posts: 1,315
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
I bet these smoking rooms will never go anywhere in states in the deep south where tobacco is grown IE CLT.
There are no smoking rooms past security at DCA or RIC, both in Virginia, home to Philip Morris.
DCAproducer is offline  
Old Jul 15, 19, 2:41 am
  #43  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: LAS; home will always be DTW
Programs: Delta
Posts: 186
Originally Posted by CarmenOM View Post
I didnít realize there were still US airports with smoking rooms.
LAS has a few. Granted, the ashtrays are surrounded by slot machines and you're in a big glass box, but for some its better than trudging all the way outside.
Vegas Vegan is offline  
Old Jul 15, 19, 3:18 am
  #44  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: DL Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BW Diamond
Posts: 25,818
Originally Posted by Bradhattan View Post
Think about the repercussions to social security if we don't let people enjoy vices that shorten their lives (I smoke). This push toward health will have its consequences....long live transfats and cigarettes....in fact, make it Gitane!
Dying from cancer is often a pretty expensive way to go. Emergency rooms, operations, chemotherapy, medications and doctors often add up to 100k in their last year of life.

Jaimito Cartero is online now  
Old Jul 15, 19, 6:00 am
  #45  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: District of Columbia
Programs: Delta Plat, Amex Plat, Hotels.com Gold, Hertz 5 star, WMATA smartrip card
Posts: 1,065
Originally Posted by DCAproducer View Post
There are no smoking rooms past security at DCA or RIC, both in Virginia, home to Philip Morris.
There are at dulles, though!
koreanair720 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread