Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta business/first leg -- booked into Z fare bucket -- rerouting on an Alaska award

Delta business/first leg -- booked into Z fare bucket -- rerouting on an Alaska award

Old Jul 6, 19, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, BA, DL, AA, JL
Question Delta business/first leg -- booked into Z fare bucket -- rerouting on an Alaska award

Does anyone who is reading this know why a rerouting initiated at the gate by Alaska, on an Alaska award ticket, which saw me put on a Delta flight instead of Alaska or one of its partners, wouldn't earn SkyMiles? I ask because Delta flat-out refused me any mileage or flight credit. The fare bucket for the Delta leg is Z, so it looks like it should earn mileage/flight credit. The ticket remained an Alaska ticket, though, issued with an Alaska ticket number.
Old Jul 6, 19, 12:37 pm

Programs: Yes
Delta has treated such interline transfers from non-partners as mileage ineligible for some time now. Flight must be ticketed by DL or a DL partner in order to earn miles.

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 6, 19 at 12:58 pm
Old Jul 6, 19, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
I'm curious if they did this due to complexities in awarding mileage now that they're earned per $. I'm betting DL got tired of awarding mileage based on what was paid to OAL when getting paid less by OAL.
Old Jul 6, 19, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Maclock View Post
on an Alaska award ticket. The ticket remained an Alaska ticket, though, issued with an Alaska ticket number.
Alaska isn't a DL partner so there is no provisions for earning on an Alaska ticket regardless if it was endorsed to DL. Additionally since it was an award ticket, DL wouldn't give you credit anyways, regardless of what Alaska paid them. Keeping in mind interline fares aren't like fares you or I purchase and probably have it written into the fare rules they aren't eligible for FF program earnings.

This was 2 years ago, I've had experience in the reverse order getting credit on both airlines, but that was between DL and UA on a paid ticket that DL endorsed to UA. DL gave me ORC and UA gave me the equivalent of a $49 fare, much less than my segment had actually cost.
Old Jul 6, 19, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer View Post
This was 2 years ago, I've had experience in the reverse order getting credit on both airlines, but that was between DL and UA on a paid ticket that DL endorsed to UA. DL gave me ORC and UA gave me the equivalent of a $49 fare, much less than my segment had actually cost.
I've had this happen before too. Massive storm at ATL, Delta rebooked me onto Swiss. Got ORC with Delta and Y class miles credited on my UA account. But yeah, that was with a paid ticket and reverse direction.
Old Jul 6, 19, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Would another airline possibly accept credit for this Z class ticket?
Old Jul 7, 19, 10:04 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
As this has been cross posted in AS and is really an AS issue, please follow the discussion in the AS forum.

No courtesy compensation?

Ryandc99, Moderator Delta Air Lines

Search this Thread