Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Medallion Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2019, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Delta Medallion Upgrades

If you’re eligible to select upgrades on Delta flights, does selecting comfort+ as well as first class hurt you chances of getting a first class upgrade? Also, on more than one occasion, I’ve lost out on an upgrade to someone on standby. How is that possible when they’re not even booked to travel on the flight in the first place?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 5:10 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Being on one list does not impact your position on the other.

Standbys will be upgraded ahead of you if they would have been ahead of you on the upgrade list in the first place. It is also possible that you’re seeing people on standby who were backed up on your flight and were confirmed on another flight in paid F; I’ve done that before.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by acrophobia

Standbys will be upgraded ahead of you if they would have been ahead of you on the upgrade list in the first place. It is also possible that you’re seeing people on standby who were backed up on your flight and were confirmed on another flight in paid F; I’ve done that before.
Standby's will not be on the upgrade list or upgraded until they are confirmed on a flight. There may be cases where an agent will clear some standbys before running the upgrades, but that generally doesn't happen. I've certainly missed upgrades when flying standby that I likely would have made if I had been confirmed (I'm a DM).
Quinlanty, MSPeconomist and cre95 like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 4, 2019 at 6:53 am
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Originally Posted by xliioper
Standby's will not be on the upgrade list or upgraded until they are confirmed on a flight. There may be cases where an agent will clear some standbys before running the upgrades, but that generally doesn't happen. I've certainly missed upgrades when flying standby that I likely would have made if I had been confirmed (I'm a DM).
That’s absolutely right - it depends on the order in which the GA processes standbys vs upgrades. I’ve been upgraded off the standby list quite a few times.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Standby includes both true standbys waiting to get on flight, confirmed F passengers that haven't been assigned a seat in F, and finally displaced F passengers that are confirmed in Y, but are standing by for a F seat. Bottom line the way DL shows the list makes it useless.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Standby includes both true standbys waiting to get on flight, confirmed F passengers that haven't been assigned a seat in F, and finally displaced F passengers that are confirmed in Y, but are standing by for a F seat. Bottom line the way DL shows the list makes it useless.
This is most likely what happened to OP. I do SDS a *lot* and I've never been cleared before upgrades were processed.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by acrophobia

Wrong. You cannot be on an upgrade list until you're confirmed on the flight.

The standby list includes people who are confirmed on the flight but don't have seat assignments, such as many BE fare passengers. It also can include those who are confirmed in FC or have paid for FC but don't yet have a FC seat assignment. This is probably what the OP saw.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
Don’t forget a DM who buys a last minute true Y fare and no Y seats are available for selection. They get a “seat request” card, are on the standby list but could well be #1 for upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.