Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Been away (with AA) for 18 years ...but I'm back

Old Jul 4, 2019, 4:51 am
Original Poster

So I finally had it with "going for (not so) great" AA after 18 years of flying nearly exclusively with them (achieving EXP status in all but 3 of those years). I left DL in 2002 as we moved to Buenos Aires and AA was the best option for me out of EZE.

My profile is that we now live in southern Connecticut and I am almost equidistant from LGA and BDL (with HPN being much closer of course). Mix of travel for me, domestic business trips to ORD several times a year (I know), but also a lot of personal trips (say 10 a year) to MCO and MYR primarily. 4 international trips a year on average with 3 to Europe (typically multi countries including UK, France Italy and the Netherlands) as well as one Japan trip a year.

So wanted to say hello and get others opinions/tips/what to watch out for--how many of you will tell me the grass is not greener :-).

Also, assuming its relevant, DL has status matched me for the short term to Plat medallion. BTW, I swear that used to be the highest level when I had it in 2001 --is my memory correct? Also sky club as opposed to crown room club? What's up with that--I like the name crown room better.

I did have a specific question--I'm getting ready to fly DL on my return to JFK from LAS next week but will be leaving via the dreaded other airline. Is there a way to figure out if I should expect a T2 versus T4 return to determine best strategic place to park?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sky Clubs lounge rebranding happened in 2008 at the time of NW merger when the NW World Clubs and DL Crown Rooms were combined. The new top tier Diamond Medallion status was created a couple years later for the 2010 program year.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Welcome back. My occasional trip on AA persuades me that I did well to stick with DL after the DL/NW merger. I was living in DC at the time and US status-matched me to Chairman for a year and I kept gold on US for the year following, but ended up sticking with DL.
Maybe some of the JFK flyers can help out with your T2/T4 question. Or you might follow the LAS-JFK flights on flight status for a few days and see if there is a pattern.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:28 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
At JFK T2 is much smaller = less walking than T4. At one time intl departed (and due to CBP) also arrived in T4--I had a JFK-CPH (a month ago) which departed from T2.
I've had flts scheduled to depart T2 and just a few hours before T-0 were switched to T4 and vv. There is an airside shuttle between T2 and T4.
T4 is MUCH larger than JFK (AA) T8. CLEAR (which doesn't exist in T8) + pre-check covers all bases at T4. Precheck in T2 closes early.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by chfenton
So I finally had it with "going for (not so) great" AA after 18 years of flying nearly exclusively with them (achieving EXP status in all but 3 of those years). I left DL in 2002 as we moved to Buenos Aires and AA was the best option for me out of EZE.

My profile is that we now live in southern Connecticut and I am almost equidistant from LGA and BDL (with HPN being much closer of course). Mix of travel for me, domestic business trips to ORD several times a year (I know), but also a lot of personal trips (say 10 a year) to MCO and MYR primarily. 4 international trips a year on average with 3 to Europe (typically multi countries including UK, France Italy and the Netherlands) as well as one Japan trip a year.

So wanted to say hello and get others opinions/tips/what to watch out for--how many of you will tell me the grass is not greener :-).

Also, assuming its relevant, DL has status matched me for the short term to Plat medallion. BTW, I swear that used to be the highest level when I had it in 2001 --is my memory correct? Also sky club as opposed to crown room club? What's up with that--I like the name crown room better.

I did have a specific question--I'm getting ready to fly DL on my return to JFK from LAS next week but will be leaving via the dreaded other airline. Is there a way to figure out if I should expect a T2 versus T4 return to determine best strategic place to park?

Thanks in advance.
As far as flying to Orlando goes, T2 is almost always the terminal. In fact I've never departed to MCO from T4 that I can remember.

The grass is a bit greener. AA is particularly terrible now that it's being run by a drunken clown. Cabin crews tend to be considerably better on DL. The customer service experience is also considerably better. DL is operationally more consistent and on time than AA is.

Oh, and there's no 737MAX aircraft in the DL fleet so that's another bonus.
GUWonder and bostonkarl like this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I’ll likely get slammed for this, but AA is years ahead of DL in retiring their long-in-the-tooth MD80 fleet

I don’t have any AA flight experience in the last couple years since they no longer credit to AS, but I don’t recall they were in any way remarkable in either domestic F (738, 788, E75) or Y (321, CR7, E90) compared to DL
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jrl767
I’ll likely get slammed for this, but AA is years ahead of DL in retiring their long-in-the-tooth MD80 fleet

I don’t have any AA flight experience in the last couple years since they no longer credit to AS, but I don’t recall they were in any way remarkable in either domestic F (738, 788, E75) or Y (321, CR7, E90) compared to DL
That was the only halfway decent mainline aircraft left in the AA fleet. Their 738s are crap and getting worse, their new airbuses are crap except for a few that were configured pre-merger and even those I believe are having their IFE removed and seat pitch tightened, 757s are pretty much gone from domestic flying.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good chance LAS may come into T2 but I’d check flight stats for at least a few days to a week before to judge the odds of a T4 arrival.

DL is operationally more consistent for sure (the stats don’t lie). I believe better employee morale leads to generally better soft service, but to be sure I’ve had very good service on AA in the past and even some lackluster/crabby service on Delta, recently.
Skyclubs are pretty good though guests will cost extra $$.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:26 pm

Yes retiring them in favor of the Oasis version of their 738's & Max's which one look through the AA forum, or as OP is likely painfully aware, is far worse than their MD80 fleet..
hockeystl and DiverDave like this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by chfenton

Thanks in advance.
Welcome back! As a longtime DL flyer who remembers the old days, I can tell you it's a MUCH different airline, but most of the changes have been for the better.

Yes, Platinum (PM) used to be the highest tier but now there's Diamond (DM). If you travel a lot of international, DM is great because of global upgrade certificates that aren't available to PM. But I have had fantastic IRROP handling and general soft service as a PM.

As for JFK arrivals, if you find yourself on an internationally-equipped 752 (coded 75S), it's likely to arrive at T4. Otherwise it's sort of hard to tell. For a while flight numbers starting with a 4 flew in/out of T4 and starting with a 2 in/out of T2, but that wasn't really a sustainable policy as these things are highly variable on the best of days.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium

The AA MD-80s are old but I always found them to be nice rides. Those old style seats are definitely more comfortable than many of the options out there now in my opinion. And 2-3 seating is always nice.

I have two AA MD-80 flights coming up, including being on one of the final flights on Sept 4.

Funny how when I lived in the Southeast where it wasn’t uncommon for me to get itineraries with all 4 legs on MD-88s, I tried to find variety by finding anything but an MD-88. Now, I rarely get to fly the MD-88s and get excited when an itinerary has one (which sadly hasn’t been for a while).
Old Jul 4, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL's MD88s are supposed to all be retired sometime in 2020. By my count, that puts it at "a year" behind AA, not "years". They've already consolidated all MD88 flying to ATL. You won't find a single, solitary MD88 flight to/from any of the other hubs now. Avoid connecting at ATL, and you won't get one.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
DL is much better than AA at HPN.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
BDL now has an Escape lounge. It's not PP but an AmEx regular Plat/Centurion charge card gets you and two guests in for free. It's conveniently located between TSA airport security and the DL gates, on the right just as you enter the concourse.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.