Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping for Wheelchair Service

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Tipping for Wheelchair Service

I am required to fly in the near future and I was wondering how much I should tip a wheelchair attendant. Also is the tip included if I use the VIP Select Service? Thanks.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 5:05 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
In the past I’ve tipped anywhere from $5 to $20 depending on how long they spent with me. $5 would be just going from the gate to the curb at a relatively small terminal like PDX or SFO. $20 would be going through passport control or dropping off and later picking up at a lounge at a larger airport like JFK or ATL.

That said, tipping is highly personal and subjective, so I’m sure someone will say I’ve been way too stingy and someone else will say tipping shouldn’t be considered a requirement at all.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 5:18 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
I always give a little something...you know, for the effort.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
I always give a little something...you know, for the effort.
As should the Dalai Lama......
Old Jul 4, 2019, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by ftfmdtw
I am required to fly in the near future and I was wondering how much I should tip a wheelchair attendant. Also is the tip included if I use the VIP Select Service? Thanks.
$0
rtool, muji and Idaho Territory like this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
I was a wheelchair pusher for a summer back in college at a hub. The average seemed to be about $2-3 that'd I get. I was pretty happy with $5. Sometime I got nothing. Sometimes I got $20 or more. If they ask to take you to the bathroom or stop to get food and help you make your connection or anything like that, consider that. They make minimum wage plus tips. It was fun to be around airplanes and the airport, but it's not something I could do again.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Always tip, they deserve it far more than a waitress, or a hotel maid...

I am glad they are there, to help...
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Silver
I’d still encourage tipping, but most wheelchair attendants make well over minimum wage now. $9-10/hr isn’t uncommon.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I would hate to live on $10.00 an hour, and push heavyweights around all day, but back in the 69s it was not a bad wage..

I tip because they help my cause, what they make I could care less,

You take care of me, I will see you are taken care of, and even thanked..
cjjones051 and nogophers like this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by saxman66
I was a wheelchair pusher for a summer back in college at a hub. The average seemed to be about $2-3 that'd I get. I was pretty happy with $5. Sometime I got nothing. Sometimes I got $20 or more. If they ask to take you to the bathroom or stop to get food and help you make your connection or anything like that, consider that. They make minimum wage plus tips. It was fun to be around airplanes and the airport, but it's not something I could do again.
You have some pretty impressive credentials. How long ago were you in college?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I have been through two knee replacements never stopping flying but using the wheelchair service many times. These people always want to help you as much as they can and work quite hard. I will tip as acrophobia posted above, $5 to $20 depending on the amount of service that I needed.

Taking me from gate B38 through CBP over to baggage and then out to the taxi line is certainly assistance that is worth the maximum to me.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:03 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Well, gratuity is for good service and care, so tip according to how you feel. Since my mom's mobility has become limited, I've got more data points about US based wheelchair folks, some are super friendly, helpful, timely and genuine. Some are very aggressive about pushing for tips.

What's the VIP Select service??

Outside of the US, it seems tipping is totally not the custom.
Idaho Territory likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by satman40
Always tip, they deserve it far more than a waitress, or a hotel maid...

Why far more than equally underpaid employees like maids and waitresses? Or even just more?
WillBarrett_68 and CPMaverick like this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:46 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by satman40
You act like they are volunteers! They are they because they are paid to be there. And they get paid at least minimum wage, likely a LOT more than a waitress gets paid.

I'm not saying a tip is a bad idea, but I don't understand your perspective at all.
btonkid12345, muji, rtool and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 12:46 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by monitor
I have been through two knee replacements never stopping flying but using the wheelchair service many times. These people always want to help you as much as they can and work quite hard. I will tip as acrophobia posted above, $5 to $20 depending on the amount of service that I needed.

Taking me from gate B38 through CBP over to baggage and then out to the taxi line is certainly assistance that is worth the maximum to me.
My husband had a total hip replacement earlier this year. It has not stopped us from traveling but he does require a wheelchair for traversing the long hallways In airports. Denver was the worst. Long walk from Westin DIA to terminal, handed off to DL employee who navigated us through a labyrinth of moving sidewalks which were out of order , TSA lines, elevators, asked my husband if he needed to use rest room, placed one roll a board in the basket under the chair which meant I only had to pull one bag. She was frequently checking her iPad for updated boarding info. She stayed with us until we reached aircraft door. My husband was more than happy to tip her $20. Think of how much we tip a doorman at a Hotel for hailing a taxi.
monitor likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.