Scaring you into upgrading?

Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond MM, SPG Platinum, Skywards Silver
Scaring you into upgrading?

Background: I’ve booked 2 one way main cabin tix between LAX and MCO for travel in sept and oct. I booked one yesterday and one today. Each time, I do not clear the upgrade into C+, then it offers be the C+ for $84, and first for $238.

But ihere’s the kicker, it assigns me a seat in economy and then blocks out EVERY other seat in economy. When I do a dummy booking there are 50+ open seats. So I do nothing. Then an hour later I got upgraded to C+.

Is this scaring me into purchasing the upgrade immediately or just a systems error?

Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
When the system processes upgrades it locks up the seat map, preventing anyone from chainging/buying seats while it bumps you up.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:05 am

DL IT at it's finest Yes, sometimes there can be a period of time in which you will see the seat maps displayed like this when they are in the process of upgrading you. Once you are upgraded nowadays, they blackout the seats in Y in your view, but the timing of blacking out the Y seats and showing your upgraded seat can be out of sync. Often, if you are watching right at the upgrade window, you can do a dummy booking and see that your seat is now vacant and a bunch of new seats in the front cabin have become occupied, so you know you are upgrade before your itinerary updates.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
there's a time lag between confirming in Main Cabin and confirming a comp upgrade to C+; I typically get the email confirming the upgrade anywhere from 10 min to an hour after the email confirming the initial booking (and both seem to arrive later for Concur bookings)
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Not disagreeing with the lag/IT comments.

But I would guess they hold back upgrades let people panic still offer buy ups for a while, then finally clear some upgrades. I see this pattern of not clearing at the window yet clear before the gate, all the while the offer to buy the upgrade just sits on the my trips page.... could be coincidental, but could be interpreted like they are trying to "scare you into" paying for the upgrade.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by FlyingDL4Fun
So I do nothing. Then an hour later I got upgraded to C+.
This is just how it works. You don't get the C+ upgrade until your reservation tickets. That is usually within an hour.

This is actually pretty good, as I understand that AA and UA are much slower to issue tickets.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.