Wiki Posts
Search

Odds on clearing a RUC...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Odds on clearing a RUC...

Any thoughts on the likelihood of clearing a RUC on JFK-SFO; 7 AM flight on Monday the 22nd? Showing 11/16 available seats, and currently only selling full priced non refundable J fares.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
7AM Monday is gonna be tough, especially as a PM.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
I thought so...
i miss the 767s on this route with all their extra J seats and direct aisle access...
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
If you have not booked yet, you can see whether you can get JFK-LAX-SFO... the 7 am flight from JFK is a 764, and chances of clearing there are as good as they will get transcontinentally.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 3:46 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by PHXflier
If you have not booked yet, you can see whether you can get JFK-LAX-SFO... the 7 am flight from JFK is a 764, and chances of clearing there are as good as they will get transcontinentally.
Or SDC-ing to it if the fare difference is too large
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:20 am

Programs: DL
A pro-tip for this route/competitive routes in general: on DoD, if there is another flight that day with confirmable space open, you can SDC to that flight (subject to typical restrictions), confirm the upgrade, and then SDC back to your original flight while keeping the upgrade.

This is a bit tricky (some agents will refuse to SDC a confirmed upgrade, but they are wrong) but can be done and has gotten me upgrades before.
KDCAflyer likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:39 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
Any thoughts on the likelihood of clearing a RUC on JFK-SFO; 7 AM flight on Monday the 22nd? Showing 11/16 available seats, and currently only selling full priced non refundable J fares.
In my experience J almost always sells out on that flight, especially since they switched to all 757s.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: DL DM, 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
“A pro-tip for this route/competitive routes in general: on DoD, if there is another flight that day with confirmable space open, you can SDC to that flight (subject to typical restrictions), confirm the upgrade, and then SDC back to your original flight while keeping the upgrade.

This is a bit tricky (some agents will refuse to SDC a confirmed upgrade, but they are wrong) but can be done and has gotten me upgrades before.”

Hmmm, I have been told that SDC can be invoked once, only. You are correct that some agents misunderstand the rules that SDC with an instrument such as an RUC already confirmed, entitles to the traveler to change to any other flight assuming available seat in D1 or F. But, if only 1 SDC is allowed, your suggested method would not be possible. Have you been successful in the past? If so, great tip. Might be another example of HUCA to get what you want.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JCWCVG
“A pro-tip for this route/competitive routes in general: on DoD, if there is another flight that day with confirmable space open, you can SDC to that flight (subject to typical restrictions), confirm the upgrade, and then SDC back to your original flight while keeping the upgrade.

This is a bit tricky (some agents will refuse to SDC a confirmed upgrade, but they are wrong) but can be done and has gotten me upgrades before.”

Hmmm, I have been told that SDC can be invoked once, only. You are correct that some agents misunderstand the rules that SDC with an instrument such as an RUC already confirmed, entitles to the traveler to change to any other flight assuming available seat in D1 or F. But, if only 1 SDC is allowed, your suggested method would not be possible. Have you been successful in the past? If so, great tip. Might be another example of HUCA to get what you want.
I've SDCd multiple times in one day. There's no published limit.
btonkid12345 and gooselee like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Or SDC-ing to it if the fare difference is too large
You can SDC is there is any change of fare at all?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by indufan
You can SDC is there is any change of fare at all?
I'm saying, if the fare difference to purchase it now is too large, its possible it will be eligible to SDC within 24 hours, when just fare class availability matters, not a fare difference
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
The point on SDC is worth noting, but in this particular case I would be shocked to see confirmable upgrade space on any JFK-SFO flight on day of departure. I do that r/t all the time. I’m very rarely upgraded, whether with upgrade instruments applied or not, even as a DM with reserve card and typically on high fares. I’m very often #1 for 0 seats. For personal travel, I just buy D1 outright on that route now. For work travel, I’m usually stuck in C+.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:59 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Summer business travel lull may help a tiny bit, but the Monday 7am JFK-SFO flight is nearly guaranteed to sell out with paying passengers. No-shows are very possible for any early morning flight, but even then, even waitlisting an RUC is far from a guarantee to be top of the upgrade list on this route (as a DM on a high fare waitlisting an RUC I've been #3-5ish on this route at less busy times of week).
Old Jul 4, 2019, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
Somewhere between 0 and 100%

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.