Premium Select VS vs DL

Old Jul 2, 19, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Premium Select VS vs DL

Two options - Same price

One VS Airbus 330-300
Two DL 767 -400 with the "updated interior" according to Delta.

I am leaning towards Virgin but wanted thoughts

(Flights are ATL to LHR)

Thanks!
Old Jul 2, 19, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL, HH
I prefer Premium on VS to C+ on DL all things otherwise being equal.

I wouldnít adjust my preferred routing on a daytime TATL to fly on VS, but would absolutely adjust to be able to be in VS Premium on an overnight TATL.
Schuhfly likes this.
Old Jul 2, 19, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! Both are overnight flights out of ATL, no real adjustment necessary

Plus there's the outside shot at using miles to upgrade to Upper Class on VS and no chance on DL
Old Jul 2, 19, 3:11 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
VS PE seats are two inches wider than Deltaís PS seats. Thatís a significant difference in an airline seat and makes for greater comfort, less claustrophobia. If youíre comparing PE to C+ then thereís no contest at all.
rucksack and DCAFly like this.
Old Jul 2, 19, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond
VS wins hands down. Also, if you purchase PS/PE on VS you can use 25,000 miles to upgrade to upper class if award space is available.
Old Jul 2, 19, 3:15 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter View Post
Thanks! Both are overnight flights out of ATL, no real adjustment necessary

Plus there's the outside shot at using miles to upgrade to Upper Class on VS and no chance on DL
You can upgrade from PS to D1 on Delta if there is availability. It’s also getting harder to find availability for mileage upgrades on VS. I’m trying right now for a September itinerary of MSP-ATL-MAN and LHR-JFK-MSP. No availability so far in either direction.

But I agree that VS PE is better than Delta PS.
Old Jul 2, 19, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Decision made. Going with VS.

Thanks everyone

I will set up an alert on ExpertFlyer for the VS upgrade. Maybe I will get lucky!
CarmenOM, rucksack and Schuhfly like this.
Old Jul 2, 19, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL FO
+1 on VS.

With itís best in class seat width and good service, itís widely considered to be one of the best (if not the best) Premium Economy product.
Old Jul 3, 19, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by catlike View Post
I prefer Premium on VS to C+ on DL all things otherwise being equal.
C+ is wholly irrelevant for this discussion. I don't know in what world one would prefer C+ over VS Premium Economy even if other things weren't equal.

Originally Posted by CarmenOM View Post
VS PE seats are two inches wider than Deltaís PS seats. Thatís a significant difference in an airline seat and makes for greater comfort, less claustrophobia.
Frankly, I'm not sure I entirely believe that, notwithstanding what SeatGuru shows or even Delta.com.
First of all, on a 767, premium economy will be 2-2-2. DL has seat width listed at 19"; on the old domestic 763s, first class was 2-2-2 with a published width at 18.5" but that included more console space than one typically gets with a PE product. While historically this type of 767 cabin got some complaints about seat width, that was relative to the domestic first class standard, which is typically wider than premium economy (though largely because of the console / seat separation).

Then take DL's A330neo, which is 2-3-2, the same configuration as VS's airbus. DL cites this seat width at 18.5", while VS's 330/340 family is supposedly 21". Sorry, I just don't buy that differential unless DL decided to go with narrower seats but more console space (which I still consider part of the seat width as you're still further from your neighbor's shoulders), or ultra-wide aisles.

I think it really comes down to the more "intangible" factors of the seat, like cushioning, angle of recline, controls, etc. and many of those are going to be a YMMV situation.

But again, in no circumstance would I choose C+ over PE!