Search

Another person trying to get to Rome

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2019, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Delta , Southwest, Amex Corp Plat, AA
Another person trying to get to Rome

Hello all,
I am trying to get my family of 4 to Rome for Spring Break (Mar 27-Apr 3). I'm looking at Friday to Friday. The Delta prices from CVG or IND, SDF to NYC are insanely priced ($2,600 to JFK) in order to get decent prices from JFK-FCO.

I have done every combo possible - flying into AMS, MAD, DUB - and good deals are not available.

We did London this spring break and I got great prices a few months before, but I don't know if that was a fluke or not. It probably helped that we flew to NYC on a Friday night and then did the day flight to London on Saturday. That took away some of the stress of changing airports in New York.

We always fly Delta and I just don't know if trying to book American and one of their partners is in the end the better idea.
thanks so much.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 8:53 am

What is your preferred departure airport? You mention CVG, IND...
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by shmom
Hello all,
I am trying to get my family of 4 to Rome for Spring Break (Mar 27-Apr 3). I'm looking at Friday to Friday. The Delta prices from CVG or IND, SDF to NYC are insanely priced ($2,600 to JFK) in order to get decent prices from JFK-FCO.

I have done every combo possible - flying into AMS, MAD, DUB - and good deals are not available.

We did London this spring break and I got great prices a few months before, but I don't know if that was a fluke or not. It probably helped that we flew to NYC on a Friday night and then did the day flight to London on Saturday. That took away some of the stress of changing airports in New York.

We always fly Delta and I just don't know if trying to book American and one of their partners is in the end the better idea.
thanks so much.
When you say $2600 is this coach or business class? RT? For one or four people? My math says that $2600/4 = $650 per person, which isn't bad at all for a TATL RT IMO. Spring break is probably shoulder season for Italy and your dates might overlap with the Easter holiday.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:26 am

I'm having trouble trying to understand what you are saying that you are doing.

Are you saying that the $2600 is for just the CVG/IND/SDF to NYC, and that you're buying a SEPARATE ticket from New York to Rome? If that's the case, is the $2600 per person, or is it for 4 people? If it's for 4 people, that's $650 per person. Which means that they simply havent put any cheaper seats on sale yet. If it's $2600 per person, then that's ludicrous, and that DEFINITELY means they havent put cheaper seats on sale yet.

- OR -

is the $2600 a fare from CVG/IND/SDF all the way to and from Rome? And again, is that per person $2600 or $2600 for 4 people?

Need to clarify as there's a LOT of room for interpretation here.

Also, you should be checking fares from CVG/IND/SDF to Rome. Not to New York with the hope of buying a separate ticket. That will only lead to stress and anxiety and a terrible experience. Is there any reason why you are wanting to go to New York first?

Hello all,

thanks so much.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Hello all,
You don’t have to book the CVG/IND/SDF to JFK leg yet. You can book NYC-FCO now if that’s a good deal and book the positioning flight to JFK later when there’s a better deal.

thanks so much.
Sometimes another airline is simply the better option. I’m in SAT where DL is well behind AA, UA, and WN in terms of options and DL simply doesn’t have workable schedules to where I need to go and so sometimes it means just flying AAnother AAirline when the prices or schedules are simply better.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:49 am
Original Poster

I apologize for the confusing post. I was looking at CVG-JFK and that was $2,600 for four people in Basic Economy. Then I was looking at doing JFK to Rome on a separate ticket since that was a good price - less money than getting to NYC! No need to go to NYC first, the prices just seemed to be so much better than if booking from SDF/CVG/IND to Rome - but I agree it is very stressful not having linked tickets.

We are based in SDF but can easily fly out of IND or CVG. BNA is more of a hassle and it involves I65 spring break gridlock traffic.

CVG also has a direct flight to CDG (we did that last summer) but I am trying to avoid CDG if possible, and the price isn't great either.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CMH - JFK is $267 RT on non-stop for 3/27 - 4/4 (main cabin is $70 more). CVG-EWR is $336 RT for 4 pax for 3/27-4/3 (Uber it between EWF and JFK). CMH-LGA would be another option (also non-stop).

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 2, 2019 at 10:00 am
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Please be aware of what basic economy means. You cannot change the ticket at all, at any price, and you cannot select seats. Your family is likely to be scattered in middle seats in the rear of coach.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When you say $2600 is this coach or business class? RT? For one or four people? My math says that $2600/4 = $650 per person, which isn't bad at all for a TATL RT IMO. Spring break is probably shoulder season for Italy and your dates might overlap with the Easter holiday.
that was for four people just to get to JFK from CVG. It is cheaper to fly to LGA but I don't think I want to deal with changing airports on a Friday night with four people and an overnight flight.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Please be aware of what basic economy means. You cannot change the ticket at all, at any price, and you cannot select seats. Your family is likely to be scattered in middle seats in the rear of coach.
Quite aware! Irony, we flew to Seattle in May on BE and Delta put us in C+. When we went to London we were also on BE, I happened to call and ask if they could assign us seats ahead of time and they did without any fuss. Clearly, I had good luck which I would not ever expect again.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper
CMH - JFK is $267 RT on non-stop for 3/27 - 4/4 (main cabin is $70 more).
I actually looked up CMH - better prices but a 3 hour drive. Thanks for checking!
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:12 am

I'm from Louisville. Just go and do a search from SDF to FCO. You'll probably get lots of options. No need to fly though JFK unless you really want to.

If you really must do JFK, i do think it's too early to book SDF to NYC tickets for next year. Right now they're not being managed, so only the higher fare tickets (and yes, $650 is on the high side, but that's normally what I pay from SDF to LGA during holidays) are available now. Those fares could come down closer in more to the $300 - $400 range. But it's a gamble. Up to you

I apologize for the confusing post. I was looking at CVG-JFK and that was $2,600 for four people in Basic Economy. Then I was looking at doing JFK to Rome on a separate ticket since that was a good price - less money than getting to NYC! No need to go to NYC first, the prices just seemed to be so much better than if booking from SDF/CVG/IND to Rome - but I agree it is very stressful not having linked tickets.

We are based in SDF but can easily fly out of IND or CVG. BNA is more of a hassle and it involves I65 spring break gridlock traffic.

CVG also has a direct flight to CDG (we did that last summer) but I am trying to avoid CDG if possible, and the price isn't great either.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: Delta DM for now
I understand the peace of mind that comes from having reservations settled far in advanced, especially when traveling as a family internationally, but I do think it's just too far out to be booking a domestic flight. If you book the JFK-FCO tickets now, you've got a few months to watch fares for the positioning flight to JFK. At the rates you're seeing now, prices are far more likely to go down than up.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
It’s under $1K for IND-FCO on AA/BA for your dates
krispy84 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
It’s under $1K for IND-FCO on AA/BA for your dates
There similar's on AA/BA for SDF-FCO. DL has roundtrip basic economy fares for SDF-FCO for $878 RT, but they are pretty heavily restricted and OP's dates don't qualify (outbound must be on a Sun - Wed and return flight has to be after Apr 07). End-on-end fare combination restrictions prevent booking an SDF-NYC fare (or any other origin airport) with the cheap JFK-FCO fares together on the same ticket (the fares must be booked on separate tickets).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.