Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New SLC airport opens September 15th, 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New SLC airport opens September 15th, 2020

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2020, 6:10 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by canyonleo
It's been years since I used ATL, but I remember there used to be a tunnel that ran between the "ends" of two terminals, allowing avoidance of the main train - didn't there? I remember when I first started using it, thinking it was kind of "secret". I wonder if I remember it correctly.
Anyway, maybe they leave the 'blue" one open after opening the final "planned" one (close to Old D as noted) for short cutting.
That tunnel "belonged" to Eastern Airlines when they controlled the north half of Concourse B and all of Concourse C. That tunnel was open for a while after Delta took over Eastern's gates, but they closed it to public use (I think they use it for storage of various items). I'm sure the tunnel is still there.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by cerps343
Will the new terminal have all of the Utah photography that was previously along the walls of the moving walkways between terminals? I really enjoyed going from end of the airport to the other on the walkways and looking at the photography of all that that great state has to offer.
Not sure the answer but the art has been removed from the current terminal.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Concourse D's last day is Monday. C, F and G will live on through October 27th. Then it's new A and B West plus hard stands for a few years.

https://www.abc4.com/news/local-news...f-new-airport/
N830MH and strickerj like this.

Last edited by DLASflyer; Sep 9, 2020 at 8:47 am
Old Sep 9, 2020, 8:42 am
Original Poster

More details on opening day: https://slcairport.com/assets/news/N...he-New-SLC.pdf

-Both DL2020 to ATL and DL3540 from IDA will receive water cannon salutes.
-Cars in the current parking garage will be towed to the new garage at midnight on the 15th. I know I wouldn't like that if it were my car.
-The new TRAX station won't be complete for eight months so a shuttle will be required from the current station 1940 West station.

Last edited by DLASflyer; Sep 9, 2020 at 3:52 pm
Old Sep 9, 2020, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
More details on opening day: https://slcairport.com/assets/news/N...he-New-SLC.pdf

-Both DL2020 to ATL and DL3540 from IDA will receive water cannon salutes.
-Cars in the current parking garage will be towed to the new garage at midnight on the 15th. I know I wouldn't like that if it were my car.
-The new TRAX station won't be complete for eight months so a shuttle will be required from the current station.
The press release should have been proofread at least one more time. I spotted two grammatical errors without trying.

I also would not be happy to have had my car be towed. But the situation would not have arisen for me because my employer has made it clear that reimbursement for parking in Short Term for more than a day trip would not be permitted. You can do it if you fork over the difference in price between it and Long Term but I have never seen the value in that. Short Term discounted to just $20 a day for the rest of the year ... what a bargain (if someone else is paying).
Old Sep 9, 2020, 11:15 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Cars in the current parking garage will be towed to the new garage at midnight on the 15th. I know I wouldn't like that if it were my car.
I guess it's better than just knocking down the old garage, cars and all
Old Sep 9, 2020, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by kjnangre
I guess it's better than just knocking down the old garage, cars and all
Yes, they will tear it down the old terminals and old parking garage, as well. They will be demolished it soon.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 3:15 pm

The Utah Transit Authority has released details on how rail transit to and from the airport will work until the new station is ready in 2021.
https://www.rideuta.com/Rider-Info/C...ction-Projects
(At present, the first bullet point is for an unrelated project on a different rail line. So scroll down to see the airport details.)
LoganFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ND76
That tunnel "belonged" to Eastern Airlines when they controlled the north half of Concourse B and all of Concourse C. That tunnel was open for a while after Delta took over Eastern's gates, but they closed it to public use (I think they use it for storage of various items). I'm sure the tunnel is still there.
More than a short while. I would say almost a decade. Maybe not quite that long. I don't even remember where it was exactly but went through it a couple of times in the late 90s.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Connecting thru SLC tomorrow. I assume I should expect delays from construction?
Old Sep 10, 2020, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by lucycan
Connecting thru SLC tomorrow. I assume I should expect delays from construction?
Nothing significant. Construction has been going on for many years, it's not had a major effect. You have a higher chance of having to walk from T1 to T2, but it's a short walk
Old Sep 11, 2020, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Nothing significant. Construction has been going on for many years, it's not had a major effect. You have a higher chance of having to walk from T1 to T2, but it's a short walk
when will the new delta skyclub at SLC open? i need to get ice there before my DL flight since DL is on an ice strike now lol
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first
when will the new delta skyclub at SLC open?
I think we are all assuming Sept 15th, but I haven't seen anything official one way or the other.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

New terminal map for September 15th through October 26th.

https://slcairport.com/assets/pdfDoc...-Departing.pdf
Mountain Explorer likes this.

Last edited by DLASflyer; Sep 11, 2020 at 4:13 pm
Old Sep 11, 2020, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first
when will the new delta skyclub at SLC open? i need to get ice there before my DL flight since DL is on an ice strike now lol
From an official airport press release

At 4 a.m. on Sept. 15, the Salt Lake City Department of Airports will open a new parking garage, terminal and the west portion of
Concourse A. Delta Air Lines, who has remained a steady and strategic partner throughout this project, will also be opening their newest and
largest Sky Club within their network.
Mountain Explorer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.