LAX ATL Gate 133 Question

Old Jul 1, 19, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Gold
LAX ATL Gate 133 Question

I am flying DL 2714 LAX-ATL on a refurbished 772 in a few days.
I see that on several days flight has departed from Gate 133.

I assume Gate 133 is at TBIT
If my flight actually departs from Gate 133 and I do online check-in, can I head straight to TBIT and do TSA security there?
Or do I have to go to T2 or T3 first and then take a bus?
Old Jul 1, 19, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
TSA won't care as long as you can reach the gate after the checkpoint. If you don't have checked-in luggage then it should be fine to go in from TBIT, if you don't care about the much longer line
Old Jul 1, 19, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by COYG View Post
TSA won't care as long as you can reach the gate after the checkpoint. If you don't have checked-in luggage then it should be fine to go in from TBIT, if you don't care about the much longer line
Thanks.
Last time I was at TBIT for an afternoon AF flight (a few months ago) there was literally nobody on the TSA Pre-check line.
It's an 8AM flight.
So which one is faster?
Precheck at TBIT and head to gate? or T3/T2 and bus?
Old Jul 1, 19, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by carlosdca View Post
Thanks.
Last time I was at TBIT for an afternoon AF flight (a few months ago) there was literally nobody on the TSA Pre-check line.
It's an 8AM flight.
So which one is faster?
Precheck at TBIT and head to gate? or T3/T2 and bus?
If memory serves, Pre isn't open at all hours for TBIT.
Old Jul 1, 19, 2:51 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
If memory serves, Pre isn't open at all hours for TBIT.
I do not know of that is true, but TBIT TSA is so screwed up one should never trust anything.
BenA likes this.
Old Jul 1, 19, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by exwannabe View Post
I do not know of that is true, but TBIT TSA is so screwed up one should never trust anything.
Finally found the current schedule. Appears Pre at TBIT is now scheduled to be open as long as security is open.
Old Jul 30, 19, 7:31 am
Original Poster

I have an update on this.

My boarding pass showed Terminal 2 Gate 135.

So, although I knew that plane was at TBIT Gate 135, I went to Terminal 2, I did not want to risk being denied access at TBIT.

Pre-check on Sunday morning at LAX Terminal 2 was a blessing, it took me less than 2 minutes to get through.
The regular TSA line was a nightmare, it took my friends 30mins_+ to clear security.

The line for the the bus to TBIT from T2 was also very long, very stressful experience, IMO.

The flight to ATL on the 772 suite was very nice though. The only thing I did not like was the limited room to flex my knees on the lie-flat position.
Old Feb 17, 20, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL GM
Hi, I'm bumping this to see if anyone else has any recent experiences with this. I'm scheduled for DL 284 LAX-ATL, on the refurbished 772, on Wednesday morning. Flight status for yesterday, today and Tuesday is showing Terminal 2 Gate 133. I'm tempted to go straight to TBIT since I don't need to check anything.
Old Feb 17, 20, 3:59 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-exDM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Go straight to TBIT. It's not an issue whatsoever, you won't be denied at the main TBIT security. I've done it for this flight more than once, and actually it isn't too busy in the AM in my experience.

The downstairs TBIT security which leads to the T4-TBIT corridor seems to require an AA BP now unfortunately, but upstairs is fine.

TBIT doesn't have a lounge accessible to DL elites, so the only reason to go to T2/T3 would be if you have lots of time and want to go to the SkyClub. But the bus ride is annoying
chiefkays likes this.
Old Feb 17, 20, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
Go straight to TBIT. It's not an issue whatsoever, you won't be denied at the main TBIT security. I've done it for this flight more than once, and actually it isn't too busy in the AM in my experience.

The downstairs TBIT security which leads to the T4-TBIT corridor seems to require an AA BP now unfortunately, but upstairs is fine.

TBIT doesn't have a lounge accessible to DL elites, so the only reason to go to T2/T3 would be if you have lots of time and want to go to the SkyClub. But the bus ride is annoying
Thanks for the response. I don't plan on being there more than an hour before my flight, so its not worth the shuttle ride to hit the skyclub early in the morning. I'll just go to TBIT.
Old Feb 17, 20, 4:40 pm

Keep a link to this tweet just in case

Old Feb 17, 20, 5:10 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by chiefkays View Post
Hi, I'm bumping this to see if anyone else has any recent experiences with this. I'm scheduled for DL 284 LAX-ATL, on the refurbished 772, on Wednesday morning. Flight status for yesterday, today and Tuesday is showing Terminal 2 Gate 133. I'm tempted to go straight to TBIT since I don't need to check anything.
You can enter at TBIT if you don't have checked bags, however Pre-Check availability at that time of day is hit or miss. Mostly "miss" by my experience. Forget the published times. if TSA is even slightly understaffed, it will not be open in time for departure.

The 77L will no longer be on this route by late March, and it will not be coming back regularly as the 77L will turn back to Asia from LAX before heading to ATL.
Old Feb 17, 20, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin View Post
You can enter at TBIT if you don't have checked bags
For the sake of clarity, you can enter at TBIT regardless of whether you check bags or not.

I know you meant that if you check bags you must do so at T2/T3... but you can still walk to TBIT and avoid the bus.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Feb 17, 20, 6:10 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
For the sake of clarity, you can enter at TBIT regardless of whether you check bags or not.

I know you meant that if you check bags you must do so at T2/T3... but you can still walk to TBIT and avoid the bus.
Yes, exactly. Sorry I forgot to finish the though.
Check in DL at T3 and walk to TBIT if the weather is nice.
Last time I did it the sidewalks were narrowed by construction but still better than the bus.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Feb 17, 20, 6:49 pm

Programs: Delta DM HH Diamond
I didnít catch this thread before my flight a few weeks ago. I ended up being caught off guard and having to take the bus over 5:30 amíish. Because of my lack of research , also didnít realize that there are no sky team lounges open at that hour in TBIT, as such I had Panda Express on the wrong side of 7AM.

what can you do but laugh?

As posted above, bus ride is very lame (just sucks waiting on another SRO bus pre dawn). I would have done sky club at T2/3 and walked over to TBIT an hour before if I had any clue what I was doing

Search this Thread
Search Engine: