Wiki Posts
Search

I need $1.5K MQDs

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I need $1.5K MQDs

Although an unplanned international trip may come together, this more likely will be like a MR. I will be looking for DL D1 sales and am happy to go to Asia, but at this point I have never made it to Dubai but unsure of the other travel expenses there.

I am just wondering what others do when it looks like they will miss the DM MDQ mark by $1.5K.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM+, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
You still have 6 months to go.

There are reports on here of people missing the next level by $50 and not getting any sympathy from Delta. If you are missing DM by $1.5K, they surely won’t bend over backwards to accept you into the top tier.

There was a thread a while back about keeping your medallion tier due to job changes and whatnot.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:09 am
Original Poster

I did see that thread but did not read the small print thinking it would not apply. Perhaps I need to revisit that idea since DL sent me an email about that program.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:18 am

You can also buy the $1,500 MQD after the end of the year from DL at some insane price. Much better to do a MR and see a new place.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xeno
I did see that thread but did not read the small print thinking it would not apply. Perhaps I need to revisit that idea since DL sent me an email about that program.
The email wasn't targeted. It requires some sort of significant life event. You can do AM biz class from DFW-SJO for around $683 roundtrip and earn around 1700 MQD's.
Duke787 and Pittie Pup like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 1, 2019 at 8:42 am
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
I am just wondering what others do when it looks like they will miss the DM MDQ mark by $1.5K.
Not to be flippant, but they buy a ticket and fly someplace. It really is the best way to earn/keep status.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Okay, then how do the partner MQD multiplication work in the real world? I have avoided trying such an approach up to this point, but read this blog again this morning:

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/earn-...tner-airlines/
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
I can't wait for all the complaint threads when one day Delta finally comes to their senses and make the program entirely revenue based.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
Okay, then how do the partner MQD multiplication work in the real world? I have avoided trying such an approach up to this point, but read this blog again this morning:

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/earn-...tner-airlines/
Very simple. Distance flown x [% according to award chart by fare bucket] = MQD
E.g., fly to Mexico city from JFK return is 2,090 x2, [in biz probably x40%] = ~1,600 MQD

Why not plan a weekend in fall to Mexico for a beach trip and get it that way?

It's a big loophole btw.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mayhem
Very simple. Distance flown x [% according to award chart by fare bucket] = MQD
E.g., fly to Mexico city from JFK return is 2,090 x2, [in biz probably x40%] = ~1,600 MQD

Why not plan a weekend in fall to Mexico for a beach trip and get it that way?

It's a big loophole btw.
Exactly.

Tier 1 partners are the best -- PE is a good option too for MQD bump (VS to LHR or even better to JNB)
Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Another option is to take the PS cabin (DL's G fare) to east Asia. The price would be right above 1.5k with 150% MQM.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by COYG
Another option is to take the PS cabin (DL's G fare) to east Asia. The price would be right above 1.5k with 150% MQM.
Just remember to subtract the taxes out on DL fares when calculating MQD's. There are $1588 LAX-HND G fares in late August, but they earn about 1490 MQD's as about $100 is government imposed taxes.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by lost_perspicacity
I can't wait for all the complaint threads when one day Delta finally comes to their senses and make the program entirely revenue based.
DL has no idea how much we paid another airline for flights.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Originally Posted by lost_perspicacity
That wouldn’t be coming to their senses at all. You can, theoretically, spend $15,000 on a single TPAC r/t D1 ticket (doesn’t happen often, but not impossible). It’s certainly easy to spend $15,000 on two overseas r/t tix in D1. The point of a loyalty program is to encourage high-value customers to fly your airline as opposed to someone else’s. You fail to meet that objective if top tier status can be achieved in one or two trips per year. That is the reason the mileage requirements exist, and why I expect them to always exist.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:27 am

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM), Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle

DL has no idea how much we paid another airline for flights.
How would they calculate MQDs on AM then? Do you have a source for that statement?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.