Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Lithium batteries and Delta's abandonment of common sense

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lithium batteries and Delta's abandonment of common sense

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2019, 5:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Zorak
If the pack had already been ejected and stored in a different pocket for safekeeping, then...

... if I were in the OP's shoes, it seems to me I would have just answered "yes" in response to the GA's question but maybe I am being too simplistic. IMO the way they phrased it is what led to the subsequent inquiry.
Anyone not looking for either a) a fight or b) to do something they knew they shouldn’t be doing would have phrased it differently.
strickerj and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As referenced earlier, the OP gave a smart a** answer and got the requisite response. The answer to the question was a yes or a no.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:09 pm

Programs: Waffle House DM
Maybe if people read a few more accident reports about what happens with a cabin fire at 36,000 feet, they might better understand that not imperiling the safety of an aircraft is more important than beating the FA at verbal gymnastics.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
It's the same concept of the stupid TSA 311 rule. 3 ounce liquid by itself = weapon of mass destruction. 3 ounce liquid in a bag = safe.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by DCP2016
It's the same concept of the stupid TSA 311 rule. 3 ounce liquid by itself = weapon of mass destruction. 3 ounce liquid in a bag = safe.
It is not. The point here is - its easier to scan liquids when they are all together in a plastic bag vs. scattered/hidden under your stuff. You'd be surprised to know what these airport x-ray machines can do.
They can detect organic/inorganic liquids and advanced ones can also accurately guess the atomic number (based on x-ray penetration) and then infer the presence of explosive chemicals.

Its easier for the tech guy to do this if all liquids are in one place
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
VS flight diverts / makes emergency landing

Due to an apparent fire caused by a phone charger
Old Jul 5, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: Delta PM; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold; Hertz Pres

This is directly from the Awaytravel website https://www.awaytravel.com/battery

The policy for the airlines are spelled out and the FA/GA are only enforcing policy that has been established to keep us safe. The FA/GA usually have enough challenges with travelers, that we shouldn't attempt to 'one up them' when the policy is established in black and white.

Why would I need to remove the battery?

• If you're checking your Carry-On
    If you check or gate-check your Carry-On, you are required to remove the battery and bring it into the cabin with you (where you can keep using it to charge your devices).
  • If you’re flying out of Asia
    We recommend removing the battery before you go through security in Asia—they have different airport security regulations, so this will make your trip a little smoother. You can replace it once you’re through.
  • If you’re carrying on a Delta or United Airlines flight
    If you are carrying onto a Delta or United Airlines flight, the gate agent may ask you to demonstrate that the battery is removable. You can easily remove the battery from our Carry-Ons and bring it into the cabin with you (where you can keep using it to charge your devices).

What if the airline asks me about the battery?

Since these policies are still new, everyone at the airlines (or in line at security) might not be as up-to-date as you. If an employee ever has a question about your bag (or the rules), you can find the policies of the major US airlines below.

Delta
"Customers checking a smart bag with a removable lithium-ion battery must remove it and take it with them into the cabin. Customers carrying-on a smart bag containing a removable lithium-ion battery must remove it from the designed enclosure prior to boarding the aircraft. This is consistent with Delta's policy today requiring customers to place spare lithium-ion batteries in their carry-on luggage."

"Pack spare batteries in carry-on baggage."
From Delta Airline's official statement and from their policy page as of February 13, 2018.
jeet, nancypants and AvalancheDog like this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: Delta Plat
I have an away carry on and it doesn't bother me to remove the battery.

as for the poster who said there isn't a non-battery version they may not have replied because there has been 1 since day 1 and they didn't know what to tell you.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: DL DM Hilton Diamond National EE
Perhaps I'm missing something - and I'm not being snarky, but if OP had simply answered "YES," which true, to GA would this thread exist?

Honestly, I have zero issues with an airline being overly cautious and it's logical with the way rapid speed devices/tech change. Safety v Convenience wins every time. It reminds me of a recently flight out of MSP when pilot said an error light wouldn't go out after resetting and determined it was best to return to terminal for a new plane. Cue the groans. Yeah, if the pilot doesn't wanna fly it, I'll follow him/her out the door. I've had this happen at MSP 3 times during past 2 years and the entire process took 60 - 75 min (return to gate, deplane, new gate, board and depart), resulting in < 1 hr delay in arrival.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by AvalancheDog
Perhaps I'm missing something - and I'm not being snarky, but if OP had simply answered "YES," which true, to GA would this thread exist?

Honestly, I have zero issues with an airline being overly cautious and it's logical with the way rapid speed devices/tech change. Safety v Convenience wins every time. It reminds me of a recently flight out of MSP when pilot said an error light wouldn't go out after resetting and determined it was best to return to terminal for a new plane. Cue the groans. Yeah, if the pilot doesn't wanna fly it, I'll follow him/her out the door. I've had this happen at MSP 3 times during past 2 years and the entire process took 60 - 75 min (return to gate, deplane, new gate, board and depart), resulting in < 1 hr delay in arrival.
I would totally agree with you. The few times this happens isn't fun...but if the pilot doesn't want to chance it... you don't either. And lest we forget and call them overly cautious/cowardly, DL has pilots that are willing to race hurricanes. No one wants to deal with a mid-air fire even if they can contain it. More than happy with the over caution on batteries.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: Flying Blue PFL; IHG Rewards Club Diamond; HHonors Silver
Food for thought

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48879379
Old Jul 5, 2019, 7:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by AvalancheDog

I guess you weren't on the flight where this happened a couple days ago. The delay was more lie four hours. (Sorry, OT.)

Fundamentally I agree with you that I trust the pilots' judgment. If they're willing to fly, so am I (with DL and certain other mainline carriers, not for LCCs or third world airlines), and if not, I want them to take whatever delay is necessary.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 7:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Ardecos
The link isn't working for me......but the one in the quote does work.

Old Jul 5, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
It's amazing how many people use the word 'common sense' to describe their ignorance.

It's unfortunate that the FA were not able to properly explain the 'WHY' to you in this case, but there is a good reason for the policy.

Perhaps take the arrogance down a notch, you don't know everything.
syd999, ats262, rickintul and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.