Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Lithium batteries and Delta's abandonment of common sense

Lithium batteries and Delta's abandonment of common sense

Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
With volume of lithium ion batteries tagging along in our travels these days, it seems only a matter of time before something really bad happens to a passenger flight. They have already taken down at least one cargo jet. I am travelling with a small carry on today with at least four such batteries even though I do not use a smart bag.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
I feel like this thread is becoming very.... charged....
wrp96, strickerj, Zorak and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:21 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by defrosted
I feel like this thread is becoming very.... charged....
Hopefully the mods will keep an ion it.

(Lithium!? damn near killed him!)
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Zorak
I am positive they will.
strickerj and Zorak like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K

that’s almost revolting!

(paging kipper ... )
miraclebear2003 and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
With volume of lithium ion batteries tagging along in our travels these days, it seems only a matter of time before something really bad happens to a passenger flight. They have already taken down at least one cargo jet. I am travelling with a small carry on today with at least four such batteries even though I do not use a smart bag.
They've destroyed a couple of passenger planes. I'm referring to the new ones that power the 787.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:34 am

I understand where the OP is coming from, it does seem ridiculous that simply moving the battery from one compartment to another compartment fulfills the requirement and allows for the plane to take off.

I have a Travel Pro with a compartment for a battery (though I do not have a battery to put in the compartment) and if the gate agent asks and I have been asked a few times, I just say either say that I moved the battery (because explaining that it is an empty compartment tends to create more confusion than it is worth) or I say the compartment is empty as I do not have a battery at the moment.

With all that said, it is easier to just go with the flow, move the battery, modern flying unfortunately tends to be about authority and sadly us the passengers generally loose that battle.
strickerj and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by kmersh
I understand where the OP is coming from, it does seem ridiculous that simply moving the battery from one compartment to another compartment fulfills the requirement and allows for the plane to take off.
It is to keep the battery accessible so that the fire can be fought, or the battery moved to the fire containment bag, if it has a thermal runaway fire.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...

Originally Posted by jrl767

that’s almost revolting!

(paging kipper ... )
LOL, I opened this thread to read it and found this.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:10 am

I just put it in my backpack during the travel day. It's not that hard. Having it in the suitcase reminds me to charge it and bring it. I always forgot my other ones.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Am I the only one who read it that the battery was not in it's "in use" place, but tossed among the OPs unmentionables and what not, and then moved to a different pocket with his mentionables?

And please correct me if I am wrong, but if I am right, most of these posts follow Delta forum rule #1 : The OP is always wrong.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by james318
Am I the only one who read it that the battery was not in it's "in use" place, but tossed among the OPs unmentionables and what not, and then moved to a different pocket with his mentionables?

And please correct me if I am wrong, but if I am right, most of these posts follow Delta forum rule #1 : The OP is always wrong.
That possibility had occurred to me too, but it's unclear because OP decided to word it so cleverly. And that same lack of clarity is what got him in trouble with the FA. If it was already detached and in a separate compartment, and he'd simply said that like a normal person, then I am pretty sure that would have been that and we wouldn't have this thread.

But I grant that I wasn't there either so I could be wrong too.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
That possibility had occurred to me too, but it's unclear because OP decided to word it so cleverly. And that same lack of clarity is what got him in trouble with the FA. If it was already detached and in a separate compartment, and he'd simply said that like a normal person, then I am pretty sure that would have been that and we wouldn't have this thread.

But I grant that I wasn't there either so I could be wrong too.
OP seems to directly complain that Delta won’t allow the battery to be installed in the Away provided ejectable compartment, so I interpreted that they had the battery stored there:

but with lithium batter "bra-hoo-ha", that now all the "smart carry-on" makers make an area in the luggage +/- their specific battery "designated" for said (or any other) battery, Delta, I found out, is one of the only airlines who apparently persists in wanting to play the same eye rolling stupid game
They do elsewhere mention zippers, which supports the interpretation that the pack had already been ejected, but the battery pack compartment is accessible via the zippered lining on some Away models, so that isn’t necessarily inconsistent (although I don’t believe newer ones work this way):

https://www.awaytravel.com/battery

Whether or not the battery in this case was in its (not permissible) built in compartment or in a permissible area of the luggage, the fact remains that the burden is on OP to clearly prove to staff that they are in compliance with Delta’s safety standards for smart luggage and that their battery is safely stored for travel. Arguing with the GA or complaining about a policy that UA, DL and AA have all adopted at the recommendation of international standards organizations isn’t going to be a productive course of action.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by BenA
OP seems to directly complain that Delta won’t allow the battery to be installed in the Away provided ejectable compartment, so I interpreted that they had the battery stored there:

[...]

They do elsewhere mention zippers, which supports the interpretation that the pack had already been ejected
If the pack had already been ejected and stored in a different pocket for safekeeping, then...

the gate agent as I boarded, took a look at the carry-on and asked "is your battery removed from it's compartment?" and I answered: "It is a battery like any other not connected to anything, and placed like my toothbrush in the luggage" - she looked puzzled, and I boarded.
... if I were in the OP's shoes, it seems to me I would have just answered "yes" in response to the GA's question but maybe I am being too simplistic. IMO the way they phrased it is what led to the subsequent inquiry.
BenA and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: Delta DM
I'm all for technology and innovation but isn't this just one more thing that can catch fire and cause problems? Can't bags be just bags without being able to start a fire?

Last edited by golfr; Jul 2, 2019 at 4:32 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.