Wiki Posts
Search

Bay Area DL Elites

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2019, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Bay Area DL Elites

Thanks to the Platinum credit card and some paid F transcons, going to hit Gold this year. Wondering what UG success rates are like for Golds out of SFO, OAK, and SJC.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: DL Plat
almost zero as pm...out of sfo i primarily fly bos, atl and jfk at off peak times. upgrade rate to sea and slc has been higher (especially from oak and sjc, though its a smaller sample size)
Old Jun 30, 2019, 5:43 pm

I think I was upgraded once on a dtw flight last year as a pm, but can't remember if I used an RUC for that. If you want an upgrade, your best chances are via SEA or SLC; ( lax upgrades do happen between lax and sfo, but never happened with me for the onward long hauls)
Old Jun 30, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by PotomacApproach
Thanks to the Platinum credit card and some paid F transcons, going to hit Gold this year. Wondering what UG success rates are like for Golds out of SFO, OAK, and SJC.
I imagine cross country would be low. But flights up and down the west coast, you may me competing with lower medallion levels so you may have a chance.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
As a GM in bay area early this year, I've got no upgrade to first at all (but C+ almost every time). SFO to hub (MSP / JFK) is a nightmare for upgrades. There could be as much as over 10 DMs in SFO - JFK line. For SFO - MSP, I used to be 17 out of 40 and 21 out of 43 both ways. I was around 2 out of 5 in a flight between SJC and LAX but I did not get an upgrade. When I reached PM recently, I constantly got upgraded in regional flights departing from SJC. Including SJC to LAX (then to SAN) and SJC to SEA.

In a nutshell, I would assume that PM and above should have a decent upgrade rate for short flights, and GM should have around 50% chance, as there're always less than 3 PM and above medallion members on the plane. However, even when I reach DM later this year I wouldn't expect to secure an upgrade in flights between SFO and major hub cities in the east, especially JFK.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:35 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
I’m NYC based, but spend a lot of time in SF (have been 8 times already this year).

Even as a DM with reserve card, SFO-JFK is brutal for upgrades, as previously mentioned. I’ve been upgraded twice on that route all year, and once that was only because I burned a GUC that was about to expire (got me out of a coach seat; C+ had sold out weeks in advance). So as a GM I wouldn’t expect much on transcon flights.

My success rate rate has been better for SFO-other destinations, but it is a limited sample size and I don’t know how my experience would translate to GM.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 6:50 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I don’t know the actual numbers, but my sense is that there is a lot of paid F out of SFO.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: DL PM
I'm not Bay-area based, but fly MSP-Bay area several times a year. As PM, have not gotten any F comp. upgrades, but have been able to successfully use RUCs on a couple of occasions. I did score an upgrade OAK-SLC a few months back - I got the sense that OAK is an easier starting point for upgrades, but small sample size.

I will say the SkyClub in SFO is pretty nice, so I guess that's a perk. OAK also has a great Escape lounge if you have the Amex Platinum (not the DL Amex Platinum).
Old Jul 1, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
SEA routes are pretty easy. I'm over 90% on SJC-SEA. SJC-LAX is about 100% for me as a GM, PM, or DM. SJC-SLC is doable unless you are connecting to the primary east coast banks that fly in and out of SLC. But SFO/SJC-ATL, the only way to upgrade is to use a RUC. I'm not sure about DTW or JFK since I don't really fly those routes.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 9:55 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
SJC-LAS is also reasonably easy most of the time.

Also, plug for the Bay Area meetup thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...appy-hour.html

Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:12 am

I’m a PM and have a near 95% upgrade rate on award tickets between SFO-LAX and 100% on paid flights between SFO-LAX. Flying to JFK, I’ve only been able to use an RUC to D1 on daytime weekend flights/off-peak hours but never gotten a complimentary upgrade. This was hard the one year I was DM too since I was outranked by people buying last minute tickets with high fare classes.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
SEA routes are pretty easy. I'm over 90% on SJC-SEA. SJC-LAX is about 100% for me as a GM, PM, or DM. SJC-SLC is doable unless you are connecting to the primary east coast banks that fly in and out of SLC. But SFO/SJC-ATL, the only way to upgrade is to use a RUC. I'm not sure about DTW or JFK since I don't really fly those routes.
when the routes initially started, they were easy, but I hadn’t been upgraded recently on DTW & JFK...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.