Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Air France / KLM O paid business class fare earning with Delta (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air France / KLM O paid business class fare earning with Delta (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah

i was trying to purchase a business class ticket between del-fra on delta.com & found a decent one way fare but it kept giving me an error when i tried to purchase it....i called the diamond line & the agent initially got the same error but eventually managed to complete the booking....both flights are operated by klm....

when i saw the booking under 'my trips' i realised that the del-ams sector was booked in 'o' class while the ams-fra was booked in 'j'...i called back to check whether 'o' class was eligible to earn mileage credit & after a long hold i was informed that it wasn't....i've never come across a revenue 'o' class ticket before....i thought that was for mileage tickets....

has anyone come across something like this before????
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
What's the operating carrier for the DEL-AMS segment?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
What's the operating carrier for the DEL-AMS segment?
ticket bought from delta & flight is operated by klm....
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Could your O class be some sort of an instant upgrade?

Is it a broken fare, with separate fare components for the two segments (in each direction if this is a RT)?

If you post the exact fare code someone with EF access can probably look at the fare rules and tell you more about this ticket.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Yes, KLM has a couple of fares that sadly don't earn. 'O' is one of them ('X' is another one), it's a cheap revenue business class fare. If you use miles/GUC to upgrade from a M fare you also will get an KLM 'O' fare. However in that case you can call and ask for your original 'M' mileage credit.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Could your O class be some sort of an instant upgrade?

Is it a broken fare, with separate fare components for the two segments (in each direction if this is a RT)?

If you post the exact fare code someone with EF access can probably look at the fare rules and tell you more about this ticket.
definitely not an instant upgrade....its a business class fare....

its a one way ticket from del-fra with del-ams ticketed in 'o' & ams-fra ticketed in 'j'....
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Grouchy
Yes, KLM has a couple of fares that sadly don't earn. 'O' is one of them ('X' is another one), it's a cheap revenue business class fare. If you use miles/GUC to upgrade from a M fare you also will get an KLM 'O' fare. However in that case you can call and ask for your original 'M' mileage credit.
sucks....i called them back & they said i could pay an extra $400 & convert this into a 'z' fare that would earn miles....
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Keyser
definitely not an instant upgrade....its a business class fare....

its a one way ticket from del-fra with del-ams ticketed in 'o' & ams-fra ticketed in 'j'....
Are you sure? You haven't answered my questions about the fare code and whether you have a single fare component. If it's a coach fare that books into O (instant upgrade) this would be good news as in that case you *should* earn MQMs according to the coach fare class that was technically purchased.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Are you sure? You haven't answered my questions about the fare code and whether you have a single fare component. If it's a coach fare that books into O (instant upgrade) this would be good news as in that case you *should* earn MQMs according to the coach fare class that was technically purchased.
pretty sure....i called both delta & klm to confirm....its a single fare component that books into 'o', which in turn is a deeply discounted klm business class fare bucket that does not earn miles on dl....
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Ita Matrix finds a single fare component, oprwia, that books into O on the del-ams segment of del-fra.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: DL DM
I assume the expertflyer "ticketing date" function is accurate. On 01FEB, there was a Z fare with a $695 base fare (+surcharges/taxes, etc.) available up until 04FEB, and no O fares. Since 02FEB, the O fare (Promotional Business Class) has been introduced ($690), and post 04FEB, the Z fare jumps to ($1055). However, both the O and Z fares currently on sale have the note below, expiring 10FEB. Curious what will happen after that, perhaps the O will disappear and the Z will return at the previous pricing, then you can change to Z for a INR 8335/~USD 117 fee.

UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON/AFTER 02FEB 19 AND ON/BEFORE
10FEB 19.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajggiant
I assume the expertflyer "ticketing date" function is accurate. On 01FEB, there was a Z fare with a $695 base fare (+surcharges/taxes, etc.) available up until 04FEB, and no O fares. Since 02FEB, the O fare (Promotional Business Class) has been introduced ($690), and post 04FEB, the Z fare jumps to ($1055). However, both the O and Z fares currently on sale have the note below, expiring 10FEB. Curious what will happen after that, perhaps the O will disappear and the Z will return at the previous pricing, then you can change to Z for a INR 8335/~USD 117 fee.

UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON/AFTER 02FEB 19 AND ON/BEFORE
10FEB 19.
i was thinking of paying $400 to bump the class up to 'z' to get the mileage credit but will now wait till 10th feb to see what happens....thanks for the info....
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:57 am

Those nasty paid O fares on KL coded flights have been reported here before. They earn miles and XP in Flying Blue but nothing in Skymiles.
And in my experience on KL business, regardless of the long haul fare code, the short haul connection always books into J.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by blagger
Those nasty paid O fares on KL coded flights have been reported here before. They earn miles and XP in Flying Blue but nothing in Skymiles.
And in my experience on KL business, regardless of the long haul fare code, the short haul connection always books into J.
The J seemed strange to me too, but then I recalled that I had a recent cheap DL TPAC Z fare that booked into F on the domestic segments....and indeed I got 200% MQMs for the domestic segments. My guess is that this is done so that lack of availability in the required fare class for a short asegment doesn't prevent the airline from selling a (presumably rather profitable) longhaul ticket. Still, my earlier experience was that the domestic segments on Z fares tended to book into G or A class.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by blagger
So true , last data point January 2018; Fare was Z1SRBE & Z2SRBE based. Long haul legs are posted as Z fares, the short intra-EU/domestic legs are posted and earn as a J fare. Unless of course if you have to manual request mileage credit, then the 'SkyMiles Issues' staff will catch those

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.