Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Voucher to eCredit, not usable by 2 fliers complaint/help?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Voucher to eCredit, not usable by 2 fliers complaint/help?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Angry Delta Voucher to eCredit, not usable by 2 fliers complaint/help?

Received a $1,000 voucher for letting myself miss my flight a year ago. Attempted to use the voucher for Christmas family vacation; the flight was for myself to visit my Fiance's family as she already had her own flight out prior to the use of the Voucher, so it was just used in my name. However, career and family complications obstructed the availability of my time to fly out so refunded the flight. This, in turn, ruined my Christmas last year and was hoping to re-use my now $800 eCredit for the two of us at a later date. I assumed the $200 less is financial woe enough for it to be punishment for cancellation. When I initially received the voucher I was told it could be used for myself and another flier on the same flight, I was not told this would change when I now had an eCredit due to my family and career complications. So now I can't use it for the two of us to fly out together as it will only cover my $350 flight and none of hers even though it is worth a total of $800. What would be the financial difference of it being used on 1 flight 2 people for $800 same flight versus now I can only use it as 2 separate flights 1 person totaling $800.

Has anyone been able to get Delta to budge on this rule due to similar situations? What can I do? If I can't do this, I won't be able to use the eCredit in time, the voucher would never have been worth it, it's been a huge waste of my time to get this to work as intended and as promised when I initially received it. Must I just become a none Delta flier and take my business elsewhere for now on due to terrible instructions on use of promised compensation of voucher for skipping my initial flight date?

Sent Complaint to Delta Online:
"I would like to use my eCredit for my fiance and I to travel to her home town in San Antonia, TX. I had received a Travel Voucher a little over a year ago and was told by the airport staff at the time of receiving it that it "could be used by myself and anyone else traveling with me on the same flight." However, I was not told that if it was used on a flight, that had issues causing me unable to fly due to extreme family issues and my career not allowing me to leave on short notice, that the eCredit I would receive from using this voucher would only be usable by me thereafter. I would like to use this eCredit for the flight for the both of us, not just for me, if it can only be used by me, even though I was told in the beginning I could, and when I redeemed the voucher with help of support I was not told this would happen if this did happen. If I can't use it for the two of us I will just have to simply give a bad review, not use the voucher at all, and have Delta lose me as a customer as is.

I would like compensation for this eCredit to be used for both of us, as it shouldn't matter if the amount isn't totally used or over the amount of $800 as our flight combined would be $750 Missoula to San Antonio round trip in August. To me it doesn't make sense to add this restriction away from my original promise due to issues that stopped me from flying last Christmas. For one, it was a ruined Christmas for me due to Job and Family complications requiring me to stay home located, and now this is just another kick to the face. Thank you for the help, if you can do anything... Anything at all please! I wouldn't have even not gone on my flight for a voucher in the first place if I knew it would be this complicated to use for me and my Fiance."

TL;DR
Received Voucher $1,000 (usable for multiple people as long as same flight) used for only myself on a single flight. Had to cancel/refund, got a $800 eCredit. Now I can't use it for the two of us for vacation like initially promised. What to do/who to complain to?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by UnsatisfiedDeltaCustomer
Received a $1,000 voucher for letting myself miss my flight a year ago. Attempted to use the voucher for Christmas family vacation; the flight was for myself to visit my Fiance's family as she already had her own flight out prior to the use of the Voucher, so it was just used in my name. However, career and family complications obstructed the availability of my time to fly out so refunded the flight. This, in turn, ruined my Christmas last year and was hoping to re-use my now $800 eCredit for the two of us at a later date. I assumed the $200 less is financial woe enough for it to be punishment for cancellation. When I initially received the voucher I was told it could be used for myself and another flier on the same flight, I was not told this would change when I now had an eCredit due to my family and career complications. So now I can't use it for the two of us to fly out together as it will only cover my $350 flight and none of hers even though it is worth a total of $800. What would be the financial difference of it being used on 1 flight 2 people for $800 same flight versus now I can only use it as 2 separate flights 1 person totaling $800.

Has anyone been able to get Delta to budge on this rule due to similar situations? What can I do? If I can't do this, I won't be able to use the eCredit in time, the voucher would never have been worth it, it's been a huge waste of my time to get this to work as intended and as promised when I initially received it. Must I just become a none Delta flier and take my business elsewhere for now on due to terrible instructions on use of promised compensation of voucher for skipping my initial flight date?

Sent Complaint to Delta Online:
"I would like to use my eCredit for my fiance and I to travel to her home town in San Antonia, TX. I had received a Travel Voucher a little over a year ago and was told by the airport staff at the time of receiving it that it "could be used by myself and anyone else traveling with me on the same flight." However, I was not told that if it was used on a flight, that had issues causing me unable to fly due to extreme family issues and my career not allowing me to leave on short notice, that the eCredit I would receive from using this voucher would only be usable by me thereafter. I would like to use this eCredit for the flight for the both of us, not just for me, if it can only be used by me, even though I was told in the beginning I could, and when I redeemed the voucher with help of support I was not told this would happen if this did happen. If I can't use it for the two of us I will just have to simply give a bad review, not use the voucher at all, and have Delta lose me as a customer as is.

I would like compensation for this eCredit to be used for both of us, as it shouldn't matter if the amount isn't totally used or over the amount of $800 as our flight combined would be $750 Missoula to San Antonio round trip in August. To me it doesn't make sense to add this restriction away from my original promise due to issues that stopped me from flying last Christmas. For one, it was a ruined Christmas for me due to Job and Family complications requiring me to stay home located, and now this is just another kick to the face. Thank you for the help, if you can do anything... Anything at all please! I wouldn't have even not gone on my flight for a voucher in the first place if I knew it would be this complicated to use for me and my Fiance."

TL;DR
Received Voucher $1,000 (usable for multiple people as long as same flight) used for only myself on a single flight. Had to cancel/refund, got a $800 eCredit. Now I can't use it for the two of us for vacation like initially promised. What to do/who to complain to?
Unfortunately you don’t have any recourse at this point, unless perhaps you find a very sympathetic agent who will issue some miles or credit as a goodwill gesture.

Had you only used a portion of the voucher, the remaining value of the voucher would have stayed on the original voucher and could have been used by anyone. However, when you used the entire portion of the voucher to purchase a non-refundable ticket, that value then could only be used by the named passenger(s).
btonkid12345 and bosman like this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
You spent money on a ticket that you then skipped.

You received a voucher for this, purchased another ticket, and skipped it again.

All tickets were for you. The difference for Delta (or any airline in this case) is they get $350- $400 cash for your +1's ticket. That's the real financial difference for them; they're running a business after all.

Everyone has family issues and career issues that prohibit flights. Delta isn't trying to ruin your trips; but as the poster above stated, your second use of the voucher attached it solely to you.

Your threat to go elsewhere doesn't mean anything to Delta because other airlines have the exact same rule and Delta is one of the most generous airlines at making exceptions and bending rules in cases like this.
kthomas likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If you buy & fly a ticket, where does the residual go? Is it still restricted to the original pax?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Was a little difficult to get through the length and extraneous information in OP (while the career/family/holiday complications suck, they are really irrelevant to DL). OP, if you continue to pursue this with DL, I'd encourage you to narrow subsequent inquiries to something much closer to your TL;DR summary.

But, I'm actually confused on two points here:
1. Original voucher was received >1 year ago. Don't these expire after a year? DL is pretty good about tying things all the way back to original FOP for stuff like this, exactly to be able to enforce original expiration dates.
2. I'd always thought that eCredits from cancelled flights could in fact be extended to a 2nd pax, so long as the original pax is flying and everything is on the same PNR. Is this not/no longer true?

#1 may be causing additional complication for OP. #2 is a little bit in his/her defense.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:22 am

I agree that the facts are hard to follow. By letting myself miss a flight does op actually mean he was given a voucher for voluntarily taking a different flight. In which case it would have been a voucher that could have been used for two people rather than a credit for an issued ticket. If he then used the voucher to book a flight he cancelled he would have a credit only he could use as it is now a credit for a non refundable ticket rather than a voucher given in consideration for giving up a seat.

No no matter all airlines have similar policies, I get the frustration but I dont think delta is going to budge especially with such a hard to,follow email.

Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I interpret the OP's comment that DL paid him to skip a flight as meaning that he took a VDB.
gooselee likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gooselee
Was a little difficult to get through the length and extraneous information in OP (while the career/family/holiday complications suck, they are really irrelevant to DL). OP, if you continue to pursue this with DL, I'd encourage you to narrow subsequent inquiries to something much closer to your TL;DR summary.

But, I'm actually confused on two points here:
1. Original voucher was received >1 year ago. Don't these expire after a year? DL is pretty good about tying things all the way back to original FOP for stuff like this, exactly to be able to enforce original expiration dates.
2. I'd always thought that eCredits from cancelled flights could in fact be extended to a 2nd pax, so long as the original pax is flying and everything is on the same PNR. Is this not/no longer true?

#1 may be causing additional complication for OP. #2 is a little bit in his/her defense.
#2 - An ecredit for a cancelled ticket can only be used by the named passenger. While its called an ecredit,its simply the unused ticket. The value isn't transferred from the ticket to a voucher. DL just lists it as an ecredit since it gets processed in similar manner.

An ecredit for VDB can be used for multiple passengers in same reservation. However once exchanged for a ticket, unless refunded, the ticket is now what has the value, thus ticket can only be used by names passenger.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by flyerCO
#2 - An ecredit for a cancelled ticket can only be used by the named passenger. While its called an ecredit,its simply the unused ticket. The value isn't transferred from the ticket to a voucher. DL just lists it as an ecredit since it gets processed in similar manner.

An ecredit for VDB can be used for multiple passengers in same reservation. However once exchanged for a ticket, unless refunded, the ticket is now what has the value, thus ticket can only be used by names passenger.
Ahh, good to know re: the cancelled ticket. I guess I'd always been conflating the two up until now. Additional knowledge accepted!

Not to stray too far from OP, but I also understand that cancelled tickets have to be used toward the purchase of a new ticket; and not ancillary fees. However since purchasing pre-check-in FCM or up-faring results in a new ticket being issued, could this be a way to spend a cancelled ticket also? (I'm asking because I have a cancelled leisure ticket sitting around, and trying to reclaim it by applying toward a work trip then expensing just seems like more of a mess than it's worth.)
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
I’ll defer to the other responders who know way more than I do about DL’s rules and regs but I will say that that letter of complaint is way too long. Just stick to the facts and leave out all the extraneous stuff.

Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the help all! I just won't go on this trip, was just heated in the moment.

Yes, it was a voucher ($1,000) for an over-fill flight then used within the 1-year limit. That flight was then refunded to an eCredit worth $800 making it now only usable by me.

Hope this clears some things up.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 3:47 pm

Thanks for the help all! I just won't go on this trip, was just heated in the moment.

Yes, it was a voucher ($1,000) for an over-fill flight then used within the 1-year limit. That flight was then refunded to an eCredit worth $800 making it now only usable by me.

I can understand the frustration, especially for people who don’t fly frequently and don’t understand the nuances of how various types of vouchers and credits work.

Imagine that Delta had given you cash or a gift card as compensation for getting bumped and you used this to buy a non-refundable ticket. You wouldn’t then expect to get your cash or gift card back. Using the voucher is no different – it’s just a method of payment.

At any rate, I’m sorry it didn’t work out for you and hope you’re able to find an occasion to use the cancelled ticket somehow.
btonkid12345, flyerCO and TerryK like this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL PM

I guess I don’t understand why you’re even a little mad?

you had 1 year to use the voucher. The fact that is worth anything now after a year is more than was originally promised...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.