Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

32Min - is this a reasonable connection?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Any weigh in from folks on whether this connection time is reasonable? It's not "flagged" but I am very wary of any 32 minute connection at Detroit. I would be traveling in F from BUF - DTW leg, so that helps. However I will most likely have one larger checked bag, with some gifts for family. It would be tricky to manage that in carry-on, but perhaps possible. Of course the more I am slugging with me the harder making a 32 minute connection becomes. I have slight mobility challenges and sprinting and/or extremely brisk walking unfortunately isn't really an option anymore, especially with heavy carry-on items.

Here are the details:

DL6294 ---- DL 6294 is operated by GoJet Airlines DBA Delta Connection.

DL3972 ---- DL 3972 is operated by SkyWest DBA Delta Connection.

journey duration2h 56m
departure time10:28am
arrival time12:24pm

departure airport code BUF
layover airport code DTW
layover duration - 32M
arrival airport code MKE
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
Any weigh in from folks on whether this connection time is reasonable? It's not "flagged" but I am very wary of any 32 minute connection at Detroit. I would be traveling in F from BUF - DTW leg, so that helps. However I will most likely have one larger checked bag, with some gifts for family. It would be tricky to manage that in carry-on, but perhaps possible. Of course the more I am slugging with me the harder making a 32 minute connection becomes. I have slight mobility challenges and sprinting and/or extremely brisk walking unfortunately isn't really an option anymore, especially with heavy carry-on items.

Here are the details:

DL6294 ---- DL 6294 is operated by GoJet Airlines DBA Delta Connection.

DL3972 ---- DL 3972 is operated by SkyWest DBA Delta Connection.

journey duration2h 56m
departure time10:28am
arrival time12:24pm

departure airport code BUF
layover airport code DTW
layover duration - 32M
arrival airport code MKE
It's reasonable if your first flight is on time, you are seated at the front of the plane, and you proceed directly to the next gate. I wouldn't book this myself if there were other options, particularly if you have mobility challenges. On the other hand, it's early enough in the day that you will likely get rebooked on a later flight if you miss the connection, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
I wouldn't advise it if you're at all mobility challenged. Being in F will help somewhat but realistically you're only going to have 10-15 minutes to make that connection. If you're staying in the A or B/C concourses you should be fine, but if you have to transit between the two, you're going to be in a world of hurt.

Luggage isn't a problem: DTW is very good about fast luggage connections (I've seen 10-minute transfers). The main problem is whether you have enough time to get from gate to gate. I'd look for a longer connection, if possible.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL6294 typically arrives in B and DL3972 typically departs from A (which means a trip through the tunnel). The good news is that there are 3-4 later flights to MKE to pick from if you miss your flight. The bad news is that the next one is not until 4 hours later. While 32 minutes is legal (the MCT is 30 minutes), I'd probably try to get alternate flights. Without the mobility issues and the long gap between flights, I'd probably give it a go. But with the combination of the two, I'd hesitate.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I am trying to make a Friday fish fry dinner with family outside of Milwaukee, otherwise will probably fly Saturday morning. My aunt and uncle are older and they eat on the early side. That's why making the connection would be critical.

I appreciate knowing that DTW is fast on handling baggage. That helps because I can move a lot faster if all I am carrying is basically a laptop bag. Also knowing the BUF flight usually comes at Terminal B helps. If it was likely to come into A I might be more inclined to chance it.

I like the Delta option as both legs are actually "F" connections - and avoiding ORD. There's a United flight with a 57 min connection through ORD, that might be safer. Just have to suck up the ~ 2 hour BUF to ORD leg on the ERJ145.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
There is a higher than normal probability that you could misconnect simply because there is little room for error for even the slightest delay on the first flight.
As others have said, its earlier in the day where there are numerous other flights to get to MKE should you miss your connection, just leaving you with a long connection in DTW.
If the flight is early no problem, but even a 5-10 minute delay will likely result in a misconnect.
Evaluate your schedules on both ends as to whether it makes sense to take an alternative flight with more connecting time or go with the elevated risk of a misconnect.
That said, you may even know before departing BUF if the inbound is late as to whether you're at risk of a misconnect.

That said, I did a 30 minute connection (Mainline to Skywest going from Concourse F -> A/B) in MSP for 12 weeks in a row earlier this year and made the connection 11 out of the 12 times.
I fully knew I was playing with fire, was fully prepared to have a 4 hour sit in in MSP, and still booked it knowing the risk as it was better than the alternative (departing DTW at 8:30am was much preferable than taking a 6am flight through ATL).
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If it is bookable, it is within MCT (30 minutes). But, that is not the question. Only you know the importance of the trip, of being ontime, and whether you can move at a fair clip.

So, the question to you is, what are the consequences to you if you have to wait for the next flight with availability? How much do you care? Nobody here can predict whether there will be a 15-20 minute delay on your inbound flight.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
While many have done this and will continue to do it successfully, it is a hard NO for me. If you have to be somewhere or else I would never book this regardless of airports involved.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
If you have mobility issues you can request a wheelchair. They'll run you between gates very quickly. Also it should be noted DL pads their flight times. No promise, but generally you'll arrive early. Bags will be tagged for a HOT transfer, meaning direct from plane to plane.

If you're willing to take a wheelchair, yes. If you're walking I'd take longer connection.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
If you have mobility issues you can request a wheelchair. They'll run you between gates very quickly. Also it should be noted DL pads their flight times. No promise, but generally you'll arrive early. Bags will be tagged for a HOT transfer, meaning direct from plane to plane.

If you're willing to take a wheelchair, yes. If you're walking I'd take longer connection.
I would say requesting a wheelchair is the best bet if you want to make this connection. I used to take a flight through DTW fairly frequently with a 30-35 minute connection depending on the day that would drop me at the end of the B gates and I would have to run (literally) to the far end of the A gates. Never missed my connection once, and my checked bags always made it, but there were some close calls. Often, your luggage will make the flight, even if you don't.

People always say take a better connection...reality is that for me and I am sure others as well, there are certain things in life that have to be planned around and sometimes squeezing a flight into a narrow window to have a chance to accomplish everything is the only option you have. Personally, I would much rather have given myself the chance to be someplace (even if I don't make it) than to have not tried at all.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:54 am
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Have you considered flying from ROC instead of BUF?
I know that it is an hour drive between the two airports, but the Delta schedules to MKE all seem to offer a longer ( 58 minutes, 1 hr 11 mins, 1 hour).

Parking at onsite at ROC is cheap - $6 - $8 a day IIRC
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:55 am
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Have you considered flying from ROC instead of BUF?
I know that it is an hour drive between the two airports, but the Delta schedules to MKE all seem to offer a longer ( 58 minutes, 1 hr 11 mins, 1 hour).

Parking at onsite at ROC is cheap - $6 - $8 a day IIRC
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
When are you planning on flying? The mention of gifts leads me to think you're looking at Dec. If that's the case I'd certainly looked at an option with a longer connection. I live near SYR, but fly out of BUF and ROC frequently. Generally I find more/better options out of BUF, but would also take a look at ROC too. Economy lots at both airports are a breeze.
Larrude likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I suspect that there's a much earlier flight from BUF too, probably something like 6-7 am that would give OP lots and lots of time to make the connection in DTW.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I suspect that there's a much earlier flight from BUF too, probably something like 6-7 am that would give OP lots and lots of time to make the connection in DTW.
but it might well be over 4 hours, thus not pricing as BUF-MKE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.