Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Advice on getting my 86 year old mother out to SEA for a visit.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on getting my 86 year old mother out to SEA for a visit.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2019, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
PAE has 2 jetways that are used for most flights. However, the county restricted the airport to 2 gates and 24 flights so the developer built Gate 2B. Gate 2B has no stairs or steps but has a gently inclined flat ramp to the plane. 4 workers push it to the plane and push it away.
I've seen those used for smaller RJs at some airports, IIRC at NYC. They're a lot easier than standing on shaking stairs with carry on bags.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by monitor
Just make sure to order up the chair for her when you book the ticket and whoever takes her to the airport tell the first Delta person met that a wheelchair is needed for this passenger.
As someone who hopes to be still traveling at age 86, solo and perhaps even internationally, I would reword the above as thus: "tell her to tell the first Delta person she meets that she requires a wheelchair."
MSPeconomist and CarmenOM like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ConnieDee
As someone who hopes to be still traveling at age 86, solo and perhaps even internationally, I would reword the above as thus: "tell her to tell the first Delta person she meets that she requires a wheelchair."
If it is difficult for the traveler to walk from the door to the ticket counter, it is prudent to have "whoever takes her" move quickly to find assistance. This is very likely to be the case of the OP's mother who requires a walker. Obviously, if she can handle the situation herself, God bless her and let her do so but in many situations, that is not the case.

This is written by one who is not far from that age and who has undergone two incapacitating knee operations but still travels Internationally three or four times a year in addition to more than a dozen domestic business trips. Don't be afraid to leave plenty of connection time and to request assistance. There will always be someone who wants to help by providing a chair or a cart although it sometimes takes a while for that someone to be found. When I was hors de combat I made sure to arrive at the airport more than two hours before my flight and to leave two-plus hours of connecting time.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:44 am

If you do wind up booking a connecting flight, you might consider spending the $250 for VIP Select service, even in lieu of the FC ticket. This will get her a greeter to manage the entire connection, SkyClub access and either a golf cart or Porsche transfer. I’ve done this for my dad a few times and makes his connections seamless.

Just be sure to let them know about the walker, so they can plan the route accordingly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.