Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SEA using bus/shuttle gates from B20 and B21

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/1MM, Natl Exec Elite, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diam

I just received this notice on a July 12th VS operated / DL ticketed booking. I assume it's just displayed for all SEA departures- maybe followed up with an email (will report back) closer to departure. However, it looks like DL has succumbed to the growing pains at SEA and has one of my least favorite airport attractions, at least this summer- the dreaded bus gate.
SEA NOTICE: GATES B20 And B21Customers departing out of gates B20 and B21 from Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA) will be required to take a shuttle from the holding area to the aircraft. Please note that boarding will end 15 minutes prior to departure.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by doubleA
I just received this notice on a July 12th VS operated / DL ticketed booking. I assume it's just displayed for all SEA departures- maybe followed up with an email (will report back) closer to departure. However, it looks like DL has succumbed to the growing pains at SEA and has one of my least favorite airport attractions, at least this summer- the dreaded bus gate.
You are lucky that you aren't flying on AS. SEATAC just finished building a "temporary" bus terminal off of Concourse D that consist of 8 bus gates. Be grateful that DL only has 2 bus gates in SEA. (at least for now)

https://www.portseattle.org/projects/concourse-d-annex
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Does DL use the CUTE bus gates in A (A20/21)? DL's ops increase substantially at SEA during the peak travel season, and I'd imagine the gates that they have aren't enough.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: DL DM
Same SEA notice received here for multiple upcoming trips. An international connection in September and a domestic connection in December.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by doubleA
Dreaded?? It's about bleeping time they started using them. The amount of time I have spent sitting after landing waiting for a gate to open up has become ridiculous. This will save me 5-10 hours a year.
bubbashow likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
This is not new. DL has been using remote stands at SEA for many months now
Old Jun 29, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by The Situation
Dreaded?? It's about bleeping time they started using them. The amount of time I have spent sitting after landing waiting for a gate to open up has become ridiculous. This will save me 5-10 hours a year.
Bus gates are dreaded because overall disembarkation is slower via stairs, and priority order (a perk of being seated further forward) is eliminated. And then there is the delay of waiting for a full bus and the transit time to the terminal. Passengers with reduced mobility are also impacted. It's Seattle too so a good portion of the year it's raining. And from an airport management standpoint risk of FOD is increased too.

I would seriously doubt that, if timed, you would really save those cumulative hours.
​​​​
Spiff and SJC ORD LDR like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Gig103
Bus gates are dreaded because overall disembarkation is slower via stairs, and priority order (a perk of being seated further forward) is eliminated. And then there is the delay of waiting for a full bus and the transit time to the terminal. Passengers with reduced mobility are also impacted. It's Seattle too so a good portion of the year it's raining. And from an airport management standpoint risk of FOD is increased too.

I would seriously doubt that, if timed, you would really save those cumulative hours.
​​​​
Even at AMS, where the bus gates are a long drive away, I don't think the time for parking to being inside the terminal has ever been for than 10 minutes. My most recent bus gate was at LGA and that was 5 minutes. Compare that to the number of times I have spent waiting 30-45 minutes at SEA for a gate plus the number of times I have been picking up somebody at they airport and they have waited 30-45 minutes for a gate (the last time I picked someone up, they waited for an hour for a gate), the time adds up. If I can save 30 minutes, once a month, that is a win for me. And as far as the rain thing goes, ya it might be raining, but its not a drenching rain like in most parts of the country.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:52 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Lovely!! Riding Delta from Seatac to Shanghai, bus gate on both sides
Old Aug 29, 2019, 11:07 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by wlau
Lovely!! Riding Delta from Seatac to Shanghai, bus gate on both sides
It seems that only CP gets the bus gates at SEA. So, they aren't going to send a wide body to a bus gate.

However, the bus gates suck big time. It takes a long time from the time you leave the gate until you get to the bus terminal and they put the bus gates at the very end of the B concourse, so you can either ride the horrible train or have a long walk to baggage claim. But what else do you expect form the PoS?
Old Aug 29, 2019, 11:52 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
I've gotten the warning for my recent SEA flights, but haven't actually had to use a bus gate yet. However I had a Delta (regional) flight out of A13 today - not a bus gate, but all the way at the very end of the A concourse, which I thought were for United flights, or other CUTE uses. I'd never actually been down that far in A before! (Also in strange gate uses, I had a late night Southwest flight several days ago arrive into an S gate rather than a B gate. Lots of passengers who I think were not used to taking the train!)
Old Aug 30, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
I'm SEA based, and although I haven't used a bus gate yet, I've observed that it seems to be for regional Delta Connection flights. Those are a little better because the planes are smaller. All the long-haul flights are still being handled out of S or A.

Overall, bus gates are a pain, but I've had the opportunity to fly EK in F a couple of times and one time I had to use a bus gate at DXB. Your bus to the plane is a full on rock-star tour bus kind of affair with an interior that matches the (admittedly gaudy) interior of the F suites. The bus has a capacity of 8 passengers if I recall, but I was on it with one other person for my fairly substantial ride out to a 777.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
Originally Posted by anon2k2
I'm SEA based, and although I haven't used a bus gate yet, I've observed that it seems to be for regional Delta Connection flights. Those are a little better because the planes are smaller. All the long-haul flights are still being handled out of S or A.

Overall, bus gates are a pain, but I've had the opportunity to fly EK in F a couple of times and one time I had to use a bus gate at DXB. Your bus to the plane is a full on rock-star tour bus kind of affair with an interior that matches the (admittedly gaudy) interior of the F suites. The bus has a capacity of 8 passengers if I recall, but I was on it with one other person for my fairly substantial ride out to a 777.

I had KLM put me on an EK flight in J to get to AMS from DXB and even the bus gate situation for J pax was very nice. They let everyone in Y jostle in crowded busses, and then called up J/F passengers last. Our bus had more seats than pax, and it was generally a very civilized experience.

I really don't mind bus gates - I would rather get off of the plane and take a bus than sit waiting for a gate 99 times out of 100 - barring heavy rain or something of the sort.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Yeah, the AVgeek in my really want to the bus gate, so I can take some close up of the A350, but nope... boarded a recently flight through the jet bridge,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.