Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Premium Select Reviews... 777 Specifically

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite

Any FT-er reviews on Premium Select, specifically on the 777 (ATL-CDG)?

We enjoyed Comfort+ on a recent TATL trip and are considering Premium Select. I'm 6'4, my wife is 6'0" and we have two little kids. We'll also have my F-I-L with us who has knee/hip issues and isn't a huge fan of flying.

There are lots of stock/marketing photos online and reviews by travel blogs, but am curious if anyone here has any comments.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Perhaps you could me more specific as to the sort of feedback you're looking for, otherwise you'll get everything from "Main Cabin is fine, I'd never spend even a penny for Premium!" to "It doesn't lie flat, it's a terrible product!" In general, it's a nicer product than C+.

One thing going for it though is the 2-4-2 config (vs 3-3-3 in Y), which means you, your wife, and the kids could take 4 across in the middle, with the FIL across the aisle or something. Might be easier than trying to divide across a 3-3-3 config.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 6:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
I flew ATL-LAX on the revamped 777 this past weekend, in the Premium Economy section (which, for the time being, is being sold as Comfort+ on domestic flights).

It was actually pretty good. Vastly better than coach or the usual Comfort+. Better than domestic F by a small but definite margin. Not a bad product at all.

The question is going to be where it lands in the pricing structure long term and whether there will be PE sales.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bennos
Perhaps you could me more specific as to the sort of feedback you're looking for, otherwise you'll get everything from "Main Cabin is fine, I'd never spend even a penny for Premium!" to "It doesn't lie flat, it's a terrible product!" In general, it's a nicer product than C+.

One thing going for it though is the 2-4-2 config (vs 3-3-3 in Y), which means you, your wife, and the kids could take 4 across in the middle, with the FIL across the aisle or something. Might be easier than trying to divide across a 3-3-3 config.
Fair questions.

Its almost impossible for me to sleep while in the air. We were treated like royalty by the crew and really had a great time in C+ last time we went to London.

I agree 2-4-2 is great with little ones. We split up in two rows on the 2-seat side.

The plated meal won’t matter much to the kids but is better than the cafeteria food we had earlier this year.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Robert Leach
I flew ATL-LAX on the revamped 777 this past weekend, in the Premium Economy section (which, for the time being, is being sold as Comfort+ on domestic flights).

It was actually pretty good. Vastly better than coach or the usual Comfort+. Better than domestic F by a small but definite margin. Not a bad product at all.

The question is going to be where it lands in the pricing structure long term and whether there will be PE sales.
Pricing structure? G fare on LAX-PVG (12 hour flight) is $1257 roundtrip. G fare on DTW-AMS (7.5 hour flight) is $1944 roundtrip. I wonder which route is more competitive?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by xliioper
Pricing structure? G fare on LAX-PVG (12 hour flight) is $1257 roundtrip. G fare on DTW-AMS (7.5 hour flight) is $1944 roundtrip. I wonder which route is more competitive?
I realize that this is an advanced purchase, but it blows my mind that I pay more for my weekly 5 hour ATL midcon in regular economy than that. The TPAC glut is real!
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
If you google “Delta 777 Premium Select Review” there are a few reviews from travel bloggers that will pop up.

Will have some good information and photos for you.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: Delta - GM
I have a questions about the seats. When we fly in regular economy I have to be careful about selecting seats which have hard sides to them (some emergency row and bulkhead seats) because my wife finds their width very restrictive and uncomfortable. We don't mind C+ because you can raise the arm between the two seats. I notice that premium plus has hard sides and was wondering about the comfort side to side.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 12:32 pm

i flew it in December from MSP to HND and i thought it was really nice compared to normal economy. everything is bigger and food is much better
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:16 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by JKPFlyer
I have a questions about the seats. When we fly in regular economy I have to be careful about selecting seats which have hard sides to them (some emergency row and bulkhead seats) because my wife finds their width very restrictive and uncomfortable. We don't mind C+ because you can raise the arm between the two seats. I notice that premium plus has hard sides and was wondering about the comfort side to side.
I found the width of the seat fine. Better than the leg room, which wasn't bad, for that matter.

I just don't think you would have a problem with side-to-side comfort. It's every bit as wide as a domestic F seat.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by drakethecake
i flew it in December from MSP to HND and i thought it was really nice compared to normal economy. everything is bigger and food is much better
Dinner seems to be the vegetarian (pasta) and chicken main courses from D1.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
I found the width of the seat fine. Better than the leg room, which wasn't bad, for that matter.

I just don't think you would have a problem with side-to-side comfort. It's every bit as wide as a domestic F seat.
It is certainly wide enough for most passengers, but let's not embellish - especially if we're talking about seat width (not seat width + extra space from the armrest).

Premium Select (even on the 777) is more narrow than any Domestic First seat.

In fact, because Delta went with 9-abreast on the 777, a 777 regular Economy seat is actually just as wide as the A350 Premium Economy seat (again, this is discounting the extra space from the armrest - but the poster is clearly concerned about seat space itself).

That said, a 19" wide seat is plenty for almost any passenger.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ethernal
It is certainly wide enough for most passengers, but let's not embellish - especially if we're talking about seat width (not seat width + extra space from the armrest).

Premium Select (even on the 777) is more narrow than any Domestic First seat.

In fact, because Delta went with 9-abreast on the 777, a 777 regular Economy seat is actually just as wide as the A350 Premium Economy seat (again, this is discounting the extra space from the armrest - but the poster is clearly concerned about seat space itself).

That said, a 19" wide seat is plenty for almost any passenger.
OP here... mainly worried about pitch. Width isn't a concern.

I appreciate the feedback. We're seeing some decent fares on multi-city tickets, mixed class tickets later in the year.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
My question for those who have flown is whether it's better than C+ bulkhead or 31C/G.

In my case width isn't a huge concern so it's how much better is having a PS seat vs the unlimited legroom C+ seats
Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by Duke787
My question for those who have flown is whether it's better than C+ bulkhead or 31C/G.

In my case width isn't a huge concern so it's how much better is having a PS seat vs the unlimited legroom C+ seats
I find it more comfortable than C+. I think it has more recline than C+ as well as a foot rest. However, I am short (5’2”) and generally small. I don’t know how the foot rest works for tall people.

The PE seats on VS are more comfortable than on Delta because they are wider.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.