Community
Wiki Posts
Search

End of the line for the CRJ

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2019, 5:48 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Woohoo!!! Those pieces of garbage will eventually be gone from the fleet. Good riddance.
? The CRJ-900 is, essentially, paradise in F. That left side....
Old Jun 25, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by koreanair720
? The CRJ-900 is, essentially, paradise in F. That left side....
No way. I'll take an e-jet's F seat over a CR9 any day. CRJs are the inferior regional jet from a PaxEx POV.
indufan, cmd320, findark and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 6:53 pm

Programs: Lots
No way. I'll take an e-jet's F seat over a CR9 any day. CRJs are the inferior regional jet from a PaxEx POV.
What exactly makes them better? I’d guess that I’ve flown variants of each at least 50 times each over the past year and aside from the CR2 which truly is the devils chariot and one other model that doesn’t have a lav in front (CR7?) they’re interchangeable. What exactly is the difference between a CR9 and an E170/5 from your perspective that makes the former so inferior?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
The C series was a mess up. Bombardier could have done a lot better with it in some smaller countries but they were not interested in doing that. It was a good aircraft and could have been a good project for Bombardier if they handled it a lot better.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by IggySD

What exactly makes them better? I’d guess that I’ve flown variants of each at least 50 times each over the past year and aside from the CR2 which truly is the devils chariot and one other model that doesn’t have a lav in front (CR7?) they’re interchangeable. What exactly is the difference between a CR9 and an E170/5 from your perspective that makes the former so inferior?
The seat. The CR9 is fine but the seat is much more comfortable in the E170/5.
SJC ORD LDR likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:49 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by boeingguy1
DL has 12 CR9s on backlog as of Q1, so hold the excitement. I bet we'll still have some CR7/CR9s running into 2030 (I would really like to be wrong here).
I'd like to be around still flying to see that
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
CR2= horrible
CR9 = amazing

but folks, the 717 has been slowly replacing this for years. I am glad delta does not do propeller planes. Does united or American still use the turbo props? That’s why i stopped flying them!
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by cfabar1
CR2= horrible
CR9 = amazing

but folks, the 717 has been slowly replacing this for years. I am glad delta does not do propeller planes. Does united or American still use the turbo props? That’s why i stopped flying them!
AA does not
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by IggySD

Wider seats, especially in Y
The ability to put in a regular roll aboard and you can put them in wheels first in F as well
The less curved fuselage

A CR9 is tolerable, an E-jet is comfortable
cmd320 and boeingguy1 like this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Wider seats, especially in Y
The ability to put in a regular roll aboard and you can put them in wheels first in F as well
The less curved fuselage

A CR9 is tolerable, an E-jet is comfortable
Some of the CR9 that DL still has on order (they may already have gotten some delivered) are equipped with the new Atmosphere cabin which has larger OH bins (bags can fit in wheels first in F) and shifted the main entry aisle to align with FC, which resulted in a larger gally and bigger front lav. These planes also have less seats due to the scope clause.

https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/delt...osphere-cabin/
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:45 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
Call me weird, but I don't mind the CR2 on flights they are generally used on today in DL's network. I'd rather have CR2 service than no service at all. The flights are generally under an hour in-flight on which I could care less about ammenities, and I can survive.

CR7 and CR9 aircraft are fine too.

DL has come a long way in the past several years from where they used to use these types of aircraft.

CR2s on routes like SLC-MSP circa 2005 were not cool. Routes like SLC-GJT, DTW-SCE are perfectly fine.
CR7s on routes like DTW-DFW circa 2010 not cool (nothing worse than everyone queuing up for a single lav in the back on a 3 hour flight), routes like DTW-MDW, DTW-SDF fine by me.
SJC ORD LDR likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by cfabar1
CR2= horrible
CR9 = amazing

They haven't been slowly getting more 717s, have they? Personally, I think getting rid of their EMB-120s was not a good move.
Originally Posted by DTWflyer
Call me weird,
Weird
Originally Posted by DTWflyer
CR2s on routes like SLC-MSP circa 2005 were not cool.
The granddaddy of the all LAS-TUL-CVG left Vegas at 1:20 AM on a CR2 and stopped in TUL for fuel....but I think you could just book that part of it.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 12:40 am

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
I just don't get the mantra on this board where CR2s are like the plague when in reality most routes are pretty binary in DL's network these days. Most routes that are CR2 are all CR2 and the alternative in most cases is CR2 on other airlines, driving to a bigger airport, or no service at all.

Its easy to avoid the CR2 if you don't fly into smaller markets, but the small cities they serve that is about all they got.

In many cases, DL is a lot better than the others in markets that DL may often have the biggest airplanes in the market, particularly in cities in the Upper Midwest & Southeast.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 5:46 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by jaysona
Intellectual property related to design, certification, manufacture, and assembly of aircraft.

Mitsubishi stole about as much as they could from Bombardier, and still can't get a plane our the door. The MRJ program is so screwed up that they had to re-engineer a significant portion of the aircraft design and the program to the SpaceJet. The 75 seater is DOA and Bombardier is stellar at weight reduction and streamlined engineering, Bombardier just don't know to run a low margin business efficiently.
I think the maintenance operations and logistics that BBD ran for the CRJ that interested Mitsubishi the most. They don't seem to care about the plane that much. What an engineer who works(ed?) in aerospace division told me.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
It does make me wonder what happens to a lot of small markets when the CR2 is done. Places like Lewiston, Idaho and West Yellowstone, Montana where Delta Connection is the only carrier and only operates CRJ-200s.

Be careful what you wish for.
ethernal likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.