Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta T2 JFK

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Delta T2 JFK

I was at JFK last week and recently read about the plans to rebuild T1 and eventually create a continuous South Terminal complex, connecting T1 with T4. Construction is scheduled to start next year. This has me wondering what Delta will do when T2 is closed for demolition as part of this construction project. T4 is pretty maxed out. I remember reading an article a few months ago about how Delta wants to get Sky Team carriers under one roof. Even if enough airlines were to move for Delta to assume some of the T4 A gates, there wouldn't be enough to match the number of gates currently in T2. Should be interesting to see how this all works out over the next few years!
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
They are trying to get non-Skyteam airlines out of T4
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:07 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Where will they go
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:12 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If they make a MONSTER terminal T1-T2-T4 will the walking be even more excessive than T4 current state?
Maybe adding a train might help.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nrr
If they make a MONSTER terminal T1-T2-T4 will the walking be even more excessive than T4 current state?
Maybe adding a train might help.
Having an elevated train like DFW's could work. It could run the perimeter of the concourses.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL Plat
I am also curious to see how this works out, however it is much needed and I'm happy they are moving forward with it. I'm sure walk distances will be considered and concourses in the new terminal complex will almost certainly not be as long as T4 concourse B whose extensions were made out of a desperate "no other viable options" build.
altabello likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
I lost 3 pounds everytie I walk T4 and only 3 because I snag shake shack on the way to the far gates.

But hopefully in 100 years this will be solved with transporters a la star trek.
rogo likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
This. T8 (AA) has lots of space, and with the absence of UA, T7 has space as well.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
This. T8 (AA) has lots of space, and with the absence of UA, T7 has space as well.
BA is planning to move to T8 (from T7) in 2022, which will require quite a few gates.

There are quite a few random international airlines in T4 at various points during the day. At some point, moving to the new T1-2-3-4 or T5-6-7 behemoths seems likely, but I can't imagine what the plans are in the intermediate stage while everything is being demolished.

Between JFK and LGA, New York is going to be very fun to fly to/through
Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nrr

Where will they go
AA (T8) has abandoned JFK, if you haven't noticed.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I lost 3 pounds every time I walk T4 and only 3 because I snag shake shack on the way to the far gates.
Amen!
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:11 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Ghost town but makes it very pleasurable to fly out of if you can actually find an AA flight that isn't going to LHR/LAX. LGA last week was the worst I've ever seen it.....taking over 30 mins to go from GCP to the Delta D gates.
rogo likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I lost 3 pounds everytie I walk T4 and only 3 because I snag shake shack on the way to the far gates.

But hopefully in 100 years this will be solved with transporters a la star trek.
But how come the Chinese restaurants in NYC already have them? You just call them, set the table and walk over to answer the door. They must have them since there can be no other way that they deliver the food to you so quickly.

Mods please excuse me for the OT post. I could not resist. You can also excuse me since I like Terminal 2 a whole lot. Security is a snap and there is little or no walking to anything, gate, SkyClub, baggage, taxis. IMO just exactly what a well-planned airport terminal should be.

It's not our fault that Delta overcrowds it just as it not our fault that from gate to domestic baggage at Terminal 4 is just about the longest, most time-consuming walk at any airport. Long live T2 and when you are coming on a domestic to JFK on DL, just make sure the flight number starts with a 2.
rogo and FlyinHawaiian like this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
There's about a zero percent chance of that ever happening. There are dozens of other airlines that use that facility, a new terminal would have to be constructed at JFK for this to happen, and there really isn't any room to put one right now.

That said, I can't wait for T2 to get leveled. I hate that place with a passion. T4 needs to be expanded towards T2 and eventually just connect to T1.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 5:39 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Yes, that's why I abandoned AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.