Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

*hypothetical* what if I miss my VS ticketed DL flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL

Used 60k VS miles and grab a D1 ticket from DTW-PEK departing 2pm.

Need to position to DTW from LAX and run into this question: so currently I’m looking at LAX-JFK-DTW (hope to sleep in D1 red-eye eastbound so skip the LAX-DTW red-eye non-stop). LAX-JFK-DTW will make make me have a 2hrs and 30 minutes layover in DTW. I’m wondering, just in case, JFK-DTW gets delayed and I miss my international flight, will I be protected, for example DTW-PVG-PEK? So seems like this is a “separate ticket issued by partner” question, or do you have experience with this? Thanks FTers!
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by lonelygod

Need to position to DTW from LAX and run into this question: so currently I’m looking at LAX-JFK-DTW (hope to sleep in D1 red-eye eastbound so skip the LAX-DTW red-eye non-stop). LAX-JFK-DTW will make make me have a 2hrs and 30 minutes layover in DTW. I’m wondering, just in case, JFK-DTW gets delayed and I miss my international flight, will I be protected, for example DTW-PVG-PEK? So seems like this is a “separate ticket issued by partner” question, or do you have experience with this? Thanks FTers!
Delta's not obligated to protect you, but as a matter of internal policy, they should protect you on your second DL-operated flight if you miss your connection because a delay on your first DL-operated flight. It shouldn't matter that the second flight was ticketed by VS – it will be under airport control by the time you would experience an issue. Beyond that, standard risks apply (i.e., that your trip might be significantly delayed if you miss a connection and the next available flight is full).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by lonelygod

Twitter is your friend. Be prepared to DM @Delta at the first sign of a problem (if you're inflight) and they should be able to protect you. If you're on the ground, just see an agent.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
Twitter is your friend. Be prepared to DM @Delta at the first sign of a problem (if you're inflight) and they should be able to protect you. If you're on the ground, just see an agent.
.....and be nice, as there's no regulation saying that DL must do anything to help. You're asking for a favor, but it's a favor that internal policy says should be granted when possible.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Sorry for the obvious question, but have you looked at what it would cost to change the DTW-PEK to LAX-PEK?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Sorry for the obvious question, but have you looked at what it would cost to change the DTW-PEK to LAX-PEK?
it would be 50 dollars I think, if I remembered correctly, suppose there is space available.

But LAX-SEA-PEK (yeah VS thinks this is one ticket because flight 128 all the way to PEK) will be on a 767... which I don't like

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.