Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage delayed until last day of trip

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2019, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold
Question Baggage delayed until last day of trip

We just had a rough delayed baggage experience and I am hoping someone has some suggestions with regard to recourse. First, this is my first post and I am not sure I am even using the correct forum (Delta, Alitalia?) On June 9, my wife had a scheduled trip from DSM-DTW-BOS-FCO-TLV. The DSM-DTW-BOS segments were on Delta and the BOS-FCO-TLV segments were on Alitalia. Her first flight from DSM-DTW was delayed and ultimately cancelled, and Delta rerouted her through ATL to BOS. She made her evening Alitalia flight to Rome, but her bag did not. In Boston, the Delta reps she spoke to told her that Delta and Alitalia use the same system, that they could see her bag on the computer, and that her bag would be forwarded on to TLV on the next available flight.
When she got to TLV, she went to the baggage assistance counter and filed a report (gave our address in Israel, phone numbers, etc.) At that point, on the Delta app, Delta said her bag was in the "Baggage Service Office" in Boston. Since her flight into TLV was on Alitalia, the baggage service company that Ben Gurion uses (Laufer Aviation Baggage Services) filed the delayed baggage claim with Alitalia. She was told she would get a call the next day when her bag arrived to arrange delivery.
We were only in Israel from that Monday, June 10, until Sunday, June 16. We called and emailed the contacts listed on her receipt from the baggage claim every day. They initially told us that the bag should come the next day. Then that changed to they hadn't heard back from Alitalia yet and they didn't know when the bag would arrive. Ultimately, the bag arrived at our door, unannounced, about 8 hours before we had to leave for the airport Saturday night.
Obviously this was a real pain the whole week. Luckily, my wife was able to borrow some clothes from family and we didn't need to purchase toiletries or anything like that, so there are no real out-of-pocket expenses to think of. Mostly it meant not having her clothes and shoes to wear, and not having gifts we brought for family - things like that.
So, here are my questions: Are we entitled to compensation for the bag being delayed for six days? And if so, from whom (Delta? Alitalia?) Who should we write to to file a grievance? If it matters, my wife has Medallion status with Delta and we used the Delta Plat. Amex to purchase the tickets.
Thanks for all your help!
Old Jun 21, 2019, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Entitled? No.

It is possible that your wife may see some minor customer service gesture from AZ (the last delivering carrier). She could also send a note to DL, but it will likely send it over to AZ.

However, what she was 100% entitled to was reimbursement of her reasonable out-of-pocket expenses up to a maximum of approximately $1,650. I realize that she chose to borrow from friends rather than purchase, but there was no reason for her to do so.
andy4192 likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. The dragging nature of constantly promising to deliver the bag the next day effectively seemed to forestall a trip to the mall to buy new clothes.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 11:18 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Next time buy something the only thing delta can throw you is some points
andy4192 likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andy4192
On June 9, my wife had a scheduled trip from DSM-DTW-BOS-FCO-TLV.
I mean, that’s just asking for trouble.

Unfortunately there is no “compensation”for delayed baggage, only “reimbursement” for expenses incurred. Even travel insurance doesn’t give you a “freebie”.
You may get some DL miles as a customer service gesture but that’s it.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Thanks for the reply. The dragging nature of constantly promising to deliver the bag the next day effectively seemed to forestall a trip to the mall to buy new clothes.
once you are @ 24 hours you just go and buy the stuff you need. Then over again till you get your luggage. Just went through this this week here in MRS ... was ultimately a claim with LH which they paid while I was still in France after scanning receipts. NEVER ever take delivery estimates ... these are local delivery services and they are frequently pathetic in quality.

Since you didn't purchase anything there isn't much you can claim from AZ, unfortunately.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I have had bags delayed by a few days (on BA), while filling the paperwork, was told.. buy what you need, and dont expect the day we tell you your bag will be delivered, is the day your going to get it
I know its not the same has having your own stuff, ( I only purchased a few shorts and shirts, could have gone crazy with stuff but why>)

( glad, now I have not checked a bag for 12 years)
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Did you get the bag insurance with AmEx Plat. It has great coverage You should have it automatically added It is only a few bucks but pays back big time (ie you could have replaced all the clothes in your suitcase and the suitcase
They paid for a tailored tux for me once
Old Jun 22, 2019, 7:29 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Amex plat doesnt have bag insurance? ??
Old Jun 22, 2019, 8:36 am
Suspended

Don't forget that there is no value in calling every day. The same information available to AZ is available to you on WorldTracer.

You will always be told that your bag is on the next flight and as there is generally some service between major cities, that means the next day. Because all the agent you are speaking with is doing is looking at the same WorldTracer screen as you, all of this is simply repackaged to make you feel as though there is progress,

But, in reality there is nobody looking for your bag. It simply gets rerouted when it is found sitting on a cart with a tag for a flight already departed.

As others note, you buy what you need, keep receipts and submit them after your return. If there is no mall nearby and you wind up spending more than an item ought to cost, it is worth noting an explanation, but beyond that, do not worry.

In addition, most comprehensive travel insurance policies have coverage here. This can be much easier as it simply provides a set reimbursement per day and you are done with it. While this may not be something you need independently, a comprehensive policy is important for other reasons.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Don't forget that there is no value in calling every day. The same information available to AZ is available to you on WorldTracer.
I did check Worldtracer, but it said just said something to the effect that they were "unable to confirm the location of your baggage at this time."

Thanks, everyone, for the responses. The Delta Amex seems to only cover a "lost, damaged, or stolen" bag. I sent emails off to Delta and Alitalia. We'll see what they have to say.
Next time, we won't wait to go out and buy stuff if we need it.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:11 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

I have travel insurance from the prestige card . I get 500 dollars to spend everytime there is a bag delay and i get those a few times a year.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:40 am
Suspended

I did check Worldtracer, but it said just said something to the effect that they were "unable to confirm the location of your baggage at this time."

Thanks, everyone, for the responses. The Delta Amex seems to only cover a "lost, damaged, or stolen" bag. I sent emails off to Delta and Alitalia. We'll see what they have to say.
Next time, we won't wait to go out and buy stuff if we need it.
What you saw on WorldTracer is what AZ saw when you were calling in. Whatever else you were told was a fabrication to keep you happy (or less unhappy).
Old Jun 22, 2019, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Often1
What you saw on WorldTracer is what AZ saw when you were calling in. Whatever else you were told was a fabrication to keep you happy (or less unhappy).
This simply isn't true. They can see a good bit more. Only thing that shows regarding bags is the anticiptaed flight numbers, original flight numbers and personal info. Agents can be in communication with the other station, another airline, etc and none of that shows. Went through this recently when bag was routed onto KE. SIN agents showed me the response where KE replied saying it would be on KExxx and them asking why it wasn't loaded.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
For a few dollars more, AmEx has coverage for delayed bags. "top - up" I have had to use it several times over the last couple of years and very worth it: From $200 bathing suits (wife) to business suit with alterations for me

Benefits
As an American Express Cardmember, you get basic automatic travel insurance for both local and international travel when you purchase your travel ticket(s) on your American Express® Credit Card1.
Basic Automatic Cover has the following exclusions:

Fount this that implies on all cards:
Baggage Delay Insurance

Book a flight with your card and receive up to $1,000 coverage (aggregate maximum with Flight Delay Insurance) for all immediate daily reasonable and necessary emergency purchases, made within four days, for essential clothing and sundry items when your baggage on your outbound trip is delayed by six or more hours.
https://www.insurance.americanexpres...-rewards-card/
  • Pre-existing medical conditions are not covered
  • Hazardous pursuits, partaking in activities that can endanger your life, like sky diving
As with all policies, conditions do apply. Because certain events and pre-existing medical conditions are not covered under the basic automatic insurance, we have arranged top-up packages to enhance your cover. These include:
  • Three options of incremental medical emergency cover, and cover for baggage loss, baggage delay, missed travel connections and ticket upgrades.2
  • Additional Medical Emergency Cover
  • Cancellation of trip
  • Cutting journey short due unforeseen emergency circumstances
  • Travel delay
  • Emergency medical and related expenses for a medical conditions that existed prior to travel
  • Baggage loss, baggage delay, missed travel connections
  • Cover for senior travellers (between the ages of 75 and 85)
If you require additional cover you can buy the optional top-up cover at an affordable fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.