Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losing paid upgrade on schedule change

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:19 am
Original Poster

Losing paid upgrade on schedule change

I had booked a flight in Main Cabin and was offered a buy-up offer to First right after booking (which I took). The flight I was booked on then had a schedule change which resulted in my being rebooked on another itinerary but back in Main. When I called, the agent said that the buy up offer was not available for the new flight and that all she could do was rebook me in Main. I requested that the entire flight be refunded after that, but that left a sour taste in my mouth, given that that it was due to a schedule change. Has anyone had similar experiences like this?
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by tomkik
I had booked a flight in Main Cabin and was offered a buy-up offer to First right after booking (which I took). The flight I was booked on then had a schedule change which resulted in my being rebooked on another itinerary but back in Main. When I called, the agent said that the buy up offer was not available for the new flight and that all she could do was rebook me in Main. I requested that the entire flight be refunded after that, but that left a sour taste in my mouth, given that that it was due to a schedule change. Has anyone had similar experiences like this?
Schedule changes (or equipment swaps) happen, and unfortunately this sometimes means that passengers cannot be accommodated in their booked class of service. If I recall correctly, you would have been entitled to a $200 voucher + refund for the difference in fare (i.e. the amount you paid to upgrade), had you requested that instead of a full refund.

Alternatively, Delta should accommodate you in your booked class of service (i.e. F, since you upgraded) on a reasonable alternative flight, if available.

Last edited by rucksack; Jun 21, 2019 at 12:39 am
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
This was case of HUACA. Once you paid you had a F ticket. Agent can override, but some dont know how/aren't willing to do it. I'd call back, tell them the last agent refused to rebook you in F despite you paying to move up to F. They can get it rebooked. If questioned about cancelling, just insist that you wanted to rebook but agent insisted nothing could be done and they cancelled it.
MSPeconomist, strickerj and Spiff like this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 10:34 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Did you ask for a supervisor?
Old Jun 21, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Once you have a paid F ticket, you are in F. Same with W by the way. They have to either accommodate you or provide a decent alternative (either alternate route or compensation).

Medallion Complimentary Upgrades do NOT work this way.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 5:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
However, in practice, when you have a confirmed instrument-supported upgrade, DL agents tend to treat the situation differently if the ticket has already been reissued. Paid upgrades at the time of booking presumably would be immediately issued as premium cabin tickets.
Spiff likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.