Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Basic Economy for family

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by ethernal
Without any adult supervision? On a plane surrounded by adults? Including adults who's sole purpose is to ensure the safety of those on-board (flight attendants)? That's a weird way to describe "no adult supervision".
None of those people is responsible for that child. Once again, let's look at Delta's UM policy. In that case, you pay $150 and the FA's are aware and presumably check in on/pay a little more attention to the UM. I don't believe the FA's would even necessarily know about a child not seated next to his parents.

It wasn't that long ago when kids as young as 7 or 8 would come home after school and play outside. For hours. Completely unsupervised. The fact that we now believe that 9-year olds - in a completely safe and monitored environment - can't sit away from their parents for a few hours is a frightening shift in perspective and one that is not grounded in a reasoned risk assessment.

A 9-year old is probably in 4th grade. In 4th grade, an average student is able to write simple essays, complete moderately advanced mathematics (long division, number theory, basic probability/algebra/geometry) and understand basic logic and able to apply critical thinking to basic open-ended problems. A 4th grader has more than enough mental capacity to understand "hey buddy, sit here for a few hours. Don't bother anyone. The bathroom is over there - if you need help, stop by my seat."
You are way overestimating the average 4th grader. You are also assuming everything goes fine with the flight. In the event of an emergency, who is responsible for that child? Couldn't this potentially cause a safety issue if I am trying to get to my child while others are trying to evacuate the plane?

Aside from the worst case scenario stuff above, there are plenty of instances where a child can't do something/needs help with something. For a lot of kids, there is also a good chance that this is there first trip on a plane and may not understand how everything operates.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
None of those people is responsible for that child. Once again, let's look at Delta's UM policy. In that case, you pay $150 and the FA's are aware and presumably check in on/pay a little more attention to the UM. I don't believe the FA's would even necessarily know about a child not seated next to his parents.
My point is that we're not exactly talking about a "Lord of the Flies" situation here. There are plenty of adults around, including those who are expressively charged with ensuring that people are safe.

You are way overestimating the average 4th grader. You are also assuming everything goes fine with the flight. In the event of an emergency, who is responsible for that child? Couldn't this potentially cause a safety issue if I am trying to get to my child while others are trying to evacuate the plane?
If you're in an emergency, you should evacuate the plane just like everyone else. As mentioned above, there are flight attendants that will aid in evacuation in the event of issues. And, believe it or not, the adult sitting next to the kid will probably provide a bit of guidance as needed.

Aside from the worst case scenario stuff above, there are plenty of instances where a child can't do something/needs help with something. For a lot of kids, there is also a good chance that this is there first trip on a plane and may not understand how everything operates.
"How everything operates"? It's a friggin' seat in the sky. There's not a lot to figure out. If they absolutely need help, you are still seated in the same plane. Just make sure they know where you are.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

Kids ride on school buses without adult supervision, unless you count 1 bus driver for 40-50 kids who is also having to concentrate on the road as “supervision”. But the kids certainly aren’t sitting next to adults and they may be on the bus close to an hour going to or from school. Kids go on field trips where they may be on a bus for several hours, again, not sitting right next to an adult. So how is being on a plane much different when you consider it from that perspective?
While I think you are overestimating the amount of time on the bus, you are right that in many ways it isn't that much different in terms of supervision. That biggest difference would be the mix of mostly adults and a few children on a plane vs. a school bus of almost entirely kids. The other difference is that a plane is a very structured environment with rules where the school bus is more law of the jungle.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
You left out one minor detail. The legislative proposal never passed and it was not and is not law!.
Actually, he just linked to the wrong bill. This one passed, and became law, with the same language:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-...house-bill/636

In any case, as far as I can tell, the Secretary of Transportation did not establish any such policy, so one would assume that they either did not do the review, or did the review and did not find it appropriate to establish such a policy.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:12 pm

If you're in an emergency, you should evacuate the plane just like everyone else.
That probably isn't happening for a lot of parents. There is a reason anyone traveling with a child isn't allowed to sit in an exit row on some airlines because they are going to be more concerned with their child than helping other people out of the plane.

"How everything operates"? It's a friggin' seat in the sky. There's not a lot to figure out. If they absolutely need help, you are still seated in the same plane. Just make sure they know where you are.
How about we start with this. Can the child get up if the seat belt sign is still on? What is he really has to go and the seat belt sign has been on for the duration of the flight to that point (let's say two hours)? What if the light is on but the FA'a are up serving drinks and a few other passengers have gotten up to use the restroom? What if he gets up and the drink cart is blocking the aisle, can he go use the restroom at the front of the plane?

Beyond that one example, can a child even reach the personal item under the seat in front of him? Can he connect his tablet to use the IFE? What if the plane hits turbulence, and he becomes frightened? What if the oxygen masks drop and he needs assistance putting his on? Why should the person next person next to the child be expected to deal with any of this or switch to a seat that he may not want?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:18 pm

I meant protection of the random person that is now stuck sitting next to a random kid. I agree that there is a potential negative externality there. But my comment was mostly in jest.

Without any adult supervision? On a plane surrounded by adults? Including adults who's sole purpose is to ensure the safety of those on-board (flight attendants)? That's a weird way to describe "no adult supervision".

A 9 year old kid will absolutely be fine by themselves for a few hours in a plane. Maybe it we were talking about SIN-EWR I would be more likely to agree with you. But on a typical domestic transcon or shorter? A 9-year old kid will be absolutely fine sitting by themselves.

It wasn't that long ago when kids as young as 7 or 8 would come home after school and play outside. For hours. Completely unsupervised. The fact that we now believe that 9-year olds - in a completely safe and monitored environment - can't sit away from their parents for a few hours is a frightening shift in perspective and one that is not grounded in a reasoned risk assessment.

A 9-year old is probably in 4th grade. In 4th grade, an average student is able to write simple essays, complete moderately advanced mathematics (long division, number theory, basic probability/algebra/geometry) and understand basic logic and able to apply critical thinking to basic open-ended problems. A 4th grader has more than enough mental capacity to understand "hey buddy, sit here for a few hours. Don't bother anyone. The bathroom is over there - if you need help, stop by my seat."

This is a long-winded way of saying that no, Delta has no obligation to sit an average 9-year old next to his or her parents. A more reasonable cutoff for an average kid (grounded on developmental psychology tied to mental ability to understand and retain information and impulse control - not on some paranoid perception of leaving a kid alone in a safe environment for a few hours) is more like 5-6 years of age.
I aggree with your assessment of a 9 year olds capabilities. We can argue about the appropriate cut off age, but below some age DL does have a responsibility to ensure a child is seated with at least one parent. Both from a safety perspective ( who is going to help evacuate or put on oxygen mask), and to meet the reasonable expectation of customer service from passengers seated next to the unaccompanied child. If I paid for a window seat and an unaccompanied 2 year old was plopped down next to me, my in flight experience would be negatively effected in a major way. I think we have a right to expect an airline not do that to us.
rucksack and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:13 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I also don't buy BE seats and never would. However, I'm thinking about the family of five who takes the once a year trip to see grandma. Buying main cabin seats instead of BE for five people could easily be a $300-$400 difference, or more. If you are a family who is strapped for cash, as so many American families are, that's a pretty crappy choice that the airline has just presented you with, especially if your kids are really young.
Having children is a choice - don't ask me to help pay for them. Or change seats. Children are expensive, estimated to cost $250,000 to age 18 not including college. If I buy a Bentley and can't afford maintenance how much sympathy should I expect.
Less expensive options which don't have seating issues include driving a car and the bus. Greyhound still goes to more cities in the US than served by air.

Last edited by puddinhead; Jun 24, 2019 at 3:41 pm
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Aliquot
I aggree with your assessment of a 9 year olds capabilities. We can argue about the appropriate cut off age, but below some age DL does have a responsibility to ensure a child is seated with at least one parent. Both from a safety perspective ( who is going to help evacuate or put on oxygen mask), and to meet the reasonable expectation of customer service from passengers seated next to the unaccompanied child. If I paid for a window seat and an unaccompanied 2 year old was plopped down next to me, my in flight experience would be negatively effected in a major way. I think we have a right to expect an airline not do that to us.
I think we have a right to expect parents to be responsible to make sure that they are sitting next to their children if those children need help. If that means that the aprents must select a more expensive ticket or pay for advanced seat assignments, that is part of the responsibility of parenthood.

Maybe someone can survive a flight in a middle seat without a beverage, but if they have paid for the aisle/window seat that does come with the beverage (either by paying more for the ticket or by having attained the elite FF status to be entitled to such perks), then the person should ride in the better aseat and receive the additional perks. Period.....and it's not sufficient for the airline to refund the price difference or seat reesevation fee as we know that the customer chose to pay/fly more to receive the additional privileges.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
And here is a timely thread that just sums this whole thing up perfectly. Person buys BE for their family of 4, one kid is 4, one is 18 mos in it’s own seat with car seat, knowing full well they cannot choose seats in advance. Brags about saving $150. As we all know, the car seat must be in a window so some poor sap is going to be forced out of his window seat for this family. And likely someone else for the 4 year old as well. And it will work so why should they pay the extra $150 next time either since they know they can force someone to move by playing the ‘but, but, but, what about the children?’ card.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31235842-post562.html

Last edited by Finkface; Jun 24, 2019 at 5:44 pm Reason: Fixed link
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by HDQDD
Which is why I said "cabin class". You conveniently left "class" out in an attempt to make whatever point you were trying to make.
Problem is that's not how you used it. Theres nothing called a cabin class. You have fare class and you have cabins. You tried to equate BE and Y to being different cabins. They're not, that was my point.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
And here is a timely thread that just sums this whole thing up perfectly. Person buys BE for their family of 4, one kid is 4, one is 18 mos in it’s own seat with car seat, knowing full well they cannot choose seats in advance. Brags about saving $150. As we all know, the car seat must be in a window so some poor sap is going to be forced out of his window seat for this family. And likely someone else for the 4 year old as well. And it will work so why should they pay the extra $150 next time either since they know they can force someone to move by playing the ‘but, but, but, what about the children?’ card.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31235842-post562.html
How FlyerTalk thinks.

“When I booked I assumed it was a no brainer that kids that young would automatically be seated my a parent, but I am reading stories online of 2 year olds being seated away from either parent, which seems bizarre to me.”

How most other people think. Of course, the airline could solve this problem if it wanted.
GUWonder and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest

How FlyerTalk thinks.

“When I booked I assumed it was a no brainer that kids that young would automatically be seated my a parent, but I am reading stories online of 2 year olds being seated away from either parent, which seems bizarre to me.”

How most other people think. Of course, the airline could solve this problem if it wanted.
This. I agree in principle with the argument that parents need to be responsible for their children, but when parents try to flout the rules or just don’t understand airline policies as thoroughly as Flyertalkers do, it isn’t fair that it becomes the other passengers’ problem instead of that of the airline that created this situation.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:46 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC

How FlyerTalk thinks.

Don’t sell BE if there is a child under age XX in the reservation.
sspontak and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by puddinhead

Don’t sell BE if there is a child under age XX in the reservation.
Except this would put Delta at a competitive disadvantage because other airlines wouldn’t match. Not to mention you are really going to piss people off when you show them a lower price and then not allow them to book it.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:14 am

I disagree. Of course issues can arise. But at least 9 out of 10 times, a leisure trip is not going to change.

Assume a $300 basic economy ticket and a $370 main cabin ticket (a very common ratio). For your average BE buyer, this is an expensive ticket. $300 BE is more than enough to fly NYC - West Coast round trip if you're flexible on times a bit. You can call this "dirt cheap", but a $300 ticket is not cheap for the average person, especially with a family in tow. For a family of five, that is more than the median mortgage payment in the US ($1492).

A change is $200. So.. that means that the Basic Economy ticket retains $100 of value. In order for the flexibility to really be material, this hypothetical leisure traveler would need to change their ticket 2 out of every 3 trips to make this a prudent decision. Do you really think that Ma and Pa Kettle are changing their tickets that much? Even as a business traveler with a lot of last minute changes I don't change tickets that much.

For most people, the seat selection is what they are giving up. And maybe boarding order (having to check their carry-on).
I thought that after the 24 hour cancellation period....the BE ticket would lose all changeability, except for IROP
So...it wouldn't retain any value...would it? Did I miss something?
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.