Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Basic Economy for family

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2019, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
One can't compare what DL (or any other carrier) offered in the past to what it offers today. Way too many variables. There was, after all, a time when Y denoted a seat which reclined further and included a full hot meal on domestic flights of appropriate length.

Today, people pay a premium to sit in C+ which gives them a bit more pitch than steerage, but still less than Y back in the day.

All a big, so what?
Old Jun 22, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by rucksack

The problem I have with your statement is the word “lower.” Lower than what? Before, legacy carriers like Delta matched the fares of low-cost carriers like Spirit. When they introduced Basic Economy fares, those became the old fares and the Main Cabin fares increased. So, the narrative that airlines are providing lower fares is not really true.
While I wouldn’t say that DL and other legacy carriers matched the ULCC fares, the introduction of BE basically took the place of all of the discounted Main Cabin fares and then added a surcharge for the regular MC fares. When BE first started, they where only typically only on U, X, or V fares with an average surcharge of $15-$25 OW and have since been expanded to higher fare classes and the up charge is almost always between $30-$45 OW. The idea that BE fares are giving pax a break for services that they don’t want is simply not true when just 2-3 years ago, these services where included at the same price you are paying now.
jdrtravel, rucksack and ryw like this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
The idea that BE fares are giving pax a break for services that they don’t want is simply not true when just 2-3 years ago, these services where included at the same price you are paying now.

Right, including the "service" of seating a parent next to their four year old.
rucksack and MCO Flyer like this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 3:00 pm

Short answer is Delta can run their airline how they want.

if you don’t like Delta because of BE terms yet insist on buying BE than fly someone else. If delta became known as the airline that hates families with small children works for me. I am sure delta would be very sad they didn’t sell any BE tickets for a flight.

I personally will not voluntarily swap to a lesser seat to accommodate anyone. It is Delta’s plane so if they say I have to or get off then off I go.

I find it odd in one paragraph someone can say sitting with my family is very valuable to me AND I have no idea why an airline would use it as a differentiator between two different fares. They do because it is very valuable to some people and no concern at all for others. Seems pretty hypocritical to say you want to take the advantages (lower price) and refuse the consequences (no assigned seat).
ESPECIALROB likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
It seems that these fares effectively discriminates against parties traveling with children, as they are not really available to them without risking not being seated together, which is not a viable option for many children.
And if you give parents with children special privileges even if they buy Basic Economy that wouldn't extend to me if I bought Basic Economy, you're discriminating against me and people like me because I don't have kids. Why should a family get Main Cabin treatment for BE price when I can't get such treatment, even as a high-level Medallion?
ijgordon and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Jon_R
I find it odd in one paragraph someone can say sitting with my family is very valuable to me AND I have no idea why an airline would use it as a differentiator between two different fares. They do because it is very valuable to some people and no concern at all for others. Seems pretty hypocritical to say you want to take the advantages (lower price) and refuse the consequences (no assigned seat).
I'm probably venturing into OMNI territory but that's today's Millennial culture though (and I say and recognize this as someone who falls into the "Millennial" generation"). They don't understand "pros and cons" (or rather don't want to accept "pros and cons") and don't think they should be subject to the negative consequences of any action. They don't want to accept that every decision has consequences - some good and some bad - and you have to take the bad with the good. Buying BE is such a decision with consequences. Good consequence: You save money over a more expensive "Main Cabin" fare. Bad consequence: There are certain restrictions, one of which is no advance seat assignment and you may not be seated together with your family or party. But Millennials think they just should get all the "betters" or "positives" of each option without having to deal with any of the negatives of any option. And this isn't limited to Basic Economy tickets but that's really venturing into OMNI territory at this point.
Newman55 likes this.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Jun 22, 2019 at 4:03 pm
Old Jun 22, 2019, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Jon_R
Short answer is Delta can run their airline how they want.

I find it odd in one paragraph someone can say sitting with my family is very valuable to me AND I have no idea why an airline would use it as a differentiator between two different fares.
I don’t have a problem with the existence of Basic Economy fares– I simply resent the narrative that they’re consumer friendly because they provide “cheaper options.” It’s a price discrimination method for the airlines to extract value from consumers. Airlines exist to make profit, fine. But I don’t have to be happy about getting less consumer surplus.

Regarding the issue of separating families– you don’t see how it feels exploitative to some people to have to pay more to sit next to their young child? You don’t have to agree– it’s a question of fairness, which is subjective.
jdrtravel and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Regarding the issue of separating families– you don’t see how it feels exploitative to some people to have to pay more to sit next to their young child? You don’t have to agree– it’s a question of fairness, which is subjective.
It know it feels exploitative when a family with a young child boards early, sits in my preselected seat, and then refuses to move to their assigned middle seat. Especially when they insist both parents must sit with the child. The airline facilitated it by allowing the young child to be on a BE, permitted them to them board early, and then didn’t require the FA to demand they move to their assigned seats or disembark. Instead the airline expects me to move to their middle seat without compensation. And the airline didn’t require the family to buy up to the seats they squatted. Yes, I feel exploited.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Segments

It know it feels exploitative when a family with a young child boards early, sits in my preselected seat, and then refuses to move to their assigned middle seat. Especially when they insist both parents must sit with the child. The airline facilitated it by allowing the young child to be on a BE, permitted them to them board early, and then didn’t require the FA to demand they move to their assigned seats or disembark. Instead the airline expects me to move to their middle seat without compensation. And the airline didn’t require the family to buy up to the seats they squatted. Yes, I feel exploited.
... or when you have to deal with some kid's bad behavior because the parent doesn't want to pay extra to sit next to their kid. It's a no-win situation when airlines don't make it easy for families to sit together. Well, the airlines win because they might get more revenue.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 5:35 pm

No I don’t. BE is an option if it does not work for you don’t do it. How far would you want to go with it. The 5am flights and red eyes are usually cheaper. Those might be a bad option for a family. Should more family friendly flights have their cost lowered because the cheaper flights don’t work for families? I vies them about the same.

If Delta wants to change and become THE family friendly airlines they can. It would be a business decision. Shoot my home Airport is Orlando. i would love families to boycott delta....
Old Jun 22, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
This spring I took a four segment trip. On each leg of the journey there were families, spouses, etc. trying to sit in seats they were not assigned which always resulted in my assigned seat being taken. It was truly maddening. This has not happened to me before, but I suspect it was because I fly a lot through Florida (touristy area) which lends itself to a lot of price-sensitive passengers.

I pay extra for my tickets to choose my specific seat, and almost always pay to fly in a premium cabin like C+, F, or at least a premium seat like an exit row. My timeliness and willingness to pay extra for this seat means I want to sit in my exact seat. It is why I refuse to fly SouthWest airlines, I do not like the uncertainty of knowing where I will be sitting. I want the exact seat I paid for, and I will 99% of the time refuse to give up that seat to someone else.

I do not mean to be insensitive to families. I know that traveling as a group of 2 or 5 can be expensive. When my family travels it is expensive and we often choose less expensive tickets as a part of that. But no one said that you could be guaranteed all the benefits of life with none of the costs.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck

BS. 9 year olds should be seated next to at least one parent. Period.

Is this for the protection of the other passengers, or for the kids? I assume it is for protection of the other passengers. Because believe it or not, a 9 year old kid is going to be perfectly fine sitting by themselves. A 4 year old I'm willing to buy. And there is a cutoff somewhere. But a 9-year old? Really? A 9-year old can sit by themselves for a couple of hours and be just fine. If they can't (and don't otherwise have some sort of disability of developmental disorder), you've probably failed as a parent.

And before someone says "but what about kiddie diddlers?!" - the probability of randomly sitting next to a pedophile who would is going to act on those urges in a public place may not be zero, but it is so close to zero as to not need to factor into someone's decision calculus. Your kid has about a million other higher probability events for you to worry about.

This overprotection of children is insane and has measurable psychologically negative impacts. I can't believe anyone is worried about a 9 year old kid sitting by themselves for a couple of hours in a totally safe environment.
kenn0223 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum

The problem I have with your statement is the word “lower.” Lower than what? Before, legacy carriers like Delta matched the fares of low-cost carriers like Spirit. When they introduced Basic Economy fares, those became the old fares and the Main Cabin fares increased. So, the narrative that airlines are providing lower fares is not really true.
To answer your question, lower than non-BE fares. I thought that was inherently obvious...

So what if fares increased? It’s a business, and back in reality land, airfares are about as low as they’ve ever been (adj for inflation). DL et al are free to sell what they want, at the price they want. If pax want to fly G4 or F9 they’re free to do so. Welcome to a free market economy. Don’t like it, perhaps you’d be happy somewhere else.

Old Jun 22, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Should pax with a lap infant be given seats in F after paying for BE because they need more space, especially if the seat in front of them reclines? Where does it stop??? COS buys BE sits in F?

Like it or not, airline pricing is dependent on what benefits/ amenities you want. WFBF, want seats together, buy seats together.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by HDQDD
To answer your question, lower than non-BE fares. I thought that was inherently obvious...

So what if fares increased? It’s a business, and back in reality land, airfares are about as low as they’ve ever been (adj for inflation). DL et al are free to sell what they want, at the price they want. If pax want to fly G4 or F9 they’re free to do so. Welcome to a free market economy. Don’t like it, perhaps you’d be happy somewhere else.
Sure, Delta can price fares however they like. But why should I be happy about paying extra for something I used to get for free (e.g., ability to select a seat, certain Medallion benefits like upgrades, ability to change my flight)? I mean, as a shareholder of Delta, I'm happy they're finding more ways to separate passengers from their money. But it's certainly not good for me as a consumer.
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.