Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta-marketed KE Flights - Accessing blocked seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2019, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Would love any insight from the braintrust here.

I am booked in business class on a code-shared Delta marketed, Korean Air flight from LAX-ICN (DL9045/KE18). I was able to select a seat on Delta.com in the back of the top-deck but not ideal.

But on ExpertFlyer, I see a bunch of blocked seats marked as premium-only.

2.5 Questions:
1. Do these seats open up at online check-in 24 hours before the flight?
2. If so, are they selectable on Delta.com/Delta app? If not, how?

Last edited by bruininabag; Jun 20, 2019 at 12:52 pm Reason: Added screenshot.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bruininabag

I am booked in business class on a code-shared Delta marketed, Korean Air flight from LAX-ICN (DL9045/KE18). I was able to select a seat on Delta.com in the back of the top-deck but not ideal.

2.5 Questions:
My impression is that KE saves these seats for its own elites and those traveling on high fare class paid tickets. You might get lucky if you ask at the airport, especially at the gate.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by bruininabag

2.5 Questions:
A year ago my daughter and I flew a mostly-DL metal itinerary, DL coded flights, on DL ticket stock and sold by DL, but which included a segment on KE (a 747-8 in fact). We were given fairly crappy seats at the time of booking, but with the KE itin on hand (I got it from Delta) I called KE and requested better seats. They declined at first, then I said I was PM (so, ST+) and they immediately gave us seats towards the front of the main cabin.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Interesting update. So at T-72 a few of the seats opened up on Delta.com as "preferred" seats that I was able to choose. Case closed

Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Only selectable for business class... I have done plenty of flights where the KE is the regional hop in economy and you cannot select seat. I have been through this so many times that I no longer make an effort and just assume Ed Bastian and Steve Sear are clueless about real world implementation of this JV now that we have well passed the 1 year mark, and their PR pieces are just puff pieces. Diamond desk and codeshare desk agents are very firm and confident you cannot select seat on KE segments and commented they wish their big bosses wouldn't mislead passengers on these JV flights. No seat selection and definitely no preferred seat, regardless of your Medallion or ST status. I've lost count of times of hearing "...we cannot tell another airline to let you select seat on their flight... this is what codeshare means..." from the phone agents.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by wlau
Only selectable for business class... I have done plenty of flights where the KE is the regional hop in economy and you cannot select seat. I have been through this so many times that I no longer make an effort and just assume Ed Bastian and Steve Sear are clueless about real world implementation of this JV now that we have well passed the 1 year mark, and their PR pieces are just puff pieces. Diamond desk and codeshare desk agents are very firm and confident you cannot select seat on KE segments and commented they wish their big bosses wouldn't mislead passengers on these JV flights. No seat selection and definitely no preferred seat, regardless of your Medallion or ST status. I've lost count of times of hearing "...we cannot tell another airline to let you select seat on their flight... this is what codeshare means..." from the phone agents.
This. This post describes it perfectly. Super frustrating. I would love to avoid KE, but it's becoming where DL is almost making it impossible. I love how on my most recent ticket purchase with a KE segment it even mentions in the first line of the email receipt and that both DL and KE promise a "seamless experience." The seat issue debunks that right there.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's even worse. KE blocks a lot of business class seats, so as a DM on a KE operated flight ticketed in business class, I can get stuck in a middle seat (on their horrible aircraft with a 2-3-2 configuration in business class) even though there are a reasonable number of lovely aisle and window seats available to KE's own customers.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's even worse. KE blocks a lot of business class seats, so as a DM on a KE operated flight ticketed in business class, I can get stuck in a middle seat (on their horrible aircraft with a 2-3-2 configuration in business class) even though there are a reasonable number of lovely aisle and window seats available to KE's own customers.
Did you try the KE online chat to get a better seat? Usually that works.

The practice of blocking seats to airline's own elites is not uncommon, though. Same thing with MU. First several rows (Y) are all blocked off, and MU res confirms that it's not available to SkyTeam Elite Plus, only to their own FFPs and may open later at T-24. Wouldn't be surprised if DL does that w.r.t. other FFP redemptions for DL flights also.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 11:16 pm

Unfortunately the problem is not limited to codeshare flights, although codeshares make it worse. And it's not limited to Delta /KE. I had similar problems with UA/LH/LX using award and codeshare tickets.

I think the root cause is that airlines think that seat assignments do not make money (at least cross airlines, where upsell does not happen today) and aiines are not investing enough in software / protocols to make it work seamlessly, but its not that hard!

It's 21 century for gods sake and we should have standard protocols adopted by MOST airlines and OTAs for seat assignments that work seamlessly across multiple blackened and codeshares. And such protocol should be
extended to support upsells and seat upgrades, so that airlines could actually see more money coming from it. Just plain stupid.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ
Did you try the KE online chat to get a better seat? Usually that works.

The practice of blocking seats to airline's own elites is not uncommon, though. Same thing with MU. First several rows (Y) are all blocked off, and MU res confirms that it's not available to SkyTeam Elite Plus, only to their own FFPs and may open later at T-24. Wouldn't be surprised if DL does that w.r.t. other FFP redemptions for DL flights also.
I called KE.....and the phone agent would give me a choice among several of the available seats, which were the worst ones.

I also had a case where there was an aircraft change and I was reassigned one of the worst seats, despite better seats being availabe.

On A380s with 2-2-2 seating, the front business class section seems to be saved for KE's own passengers regardless of how empty it is. I had the same experience on another longhaul KE flight, which I which I think was the lower deck on a 747 but it might have been a 777.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:45 pm

Slightly OT:

1. 380 is pretty quiet and I had no problems with noise of seats in the back of business of class as long as they were not too last few rows close to the bar. Sitting in the second half of business class cabin has advantage of bar and duty free being closer .

2. Regardless where you sit, KE A380 is not a great product in business. If possible change to another route with 777 or DL metal. I flew KE 380 between ICN and BKK a few times and it was barely acceptable for 5 hour long flight. I would go out my way not to book for TPAC.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by AntonS
Unfortunately the problem is not limited to codeshare flights, although codeshares make it worse. And it's not limited to Delta /KE. I had similar problems with UA/LH/LX using award and codeshare tickets.

I think the root cause is that airlines think that seat assignments do not make money (at least cross airlines, where upsell does not happen today) and aiines are not investing enough in software / protocols to make it work seamlessly, but its not that hard!

It's 21 century for gods sake and we should have standard protocols adopted by MOST airlines and OTAs for seat assignments that work seamlessly across multiple blackened and codeshares. And such protocol should be
extended to support upsells and seat upgrades, so that airlines could actually see more money coming from it. Just plain stupid.
Be careful what you wish for. In order to make it truly seamless, other airlines may follow BA and charge something crazy like $150 even for paid (not just award) J seat selection (free seats? wait until T-24 and take your chances..). If it'll make money, then they will do it. Otherwise, why bother?

BTW LH site is pretty good and can be used to select seats for other *A airlines also (I may be wrong, but I think OZ and/or CA, LO), even if not on LH ticket stock and has no LH flights.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:46 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Korean Air - even if you book on their own website as a "regular" person (not Morning Calm aka Sky Team Elite or Elite Plus) - they open literally the last few rows of the plane for pre-selection and that's it. If you are Morning Calm Elite, the front half of the plane opens. Overall, for all available seats, they once told me that only 50% of the plane total is open for pre-selection. At online check-in/at the airport, that's when everything else opens up. The vast majority of passengers on Korean Air do NOT do web check in, so you can still get a good seat at the airport. Not to mention that in the rest of those seats opening up, even a few of them are still blocked for selection by airport staff only.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:55 am

IME business class seats are generally selected in advance by KE passengers. There's almost nothing left when check in opens. This applies to both longhaul and regional flights.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: American Airlines
I am a new Platinum member on Delta (via a challenge) and am having this seat issue with Korean air (though economy version). I was assigned a seat in the back of the plane. I called up Delta (though, I don't think I spoke to someone at the Medallion desk---would that help?) and they said that I should be able to book any economy seat, but that they only have access to the back of the plane. I also called KE who pretty much did not care that I was Platinum Medallion---they said that their system could not open up any seats at the front of the plane for me. They suggested that I check in 90 minutes before my long-haul flight to see if they can do better. !!! Delta essentially relies on KE to provide all its flights from the west coast to Asia. Right now, I don't understand why people have praised Delta Elite over American (where something like this just doesn't happen with partners).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.