FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   can US<->Europe rt busn award get lower than 128K/person? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1974881-can-us-europe-rt-busn-award-get-lower-than-128k-person.html)

TravelPhotographer Jun 20, 2019 12:42 pm

can US<->Europe rt busn award get lower than 128K/person?

August 2019; US<==>WesternEurope (2) busn "Delta One" 256K total;
that's 128K/person or 64K/segment; does it get any lower?
:confused: :confused: :confused:
or maybe it does, but not much & I should grab it...?
:p :p :p
all Delta, $100+ taxes-fees total;
(popular Europe destination) thanks in advance

(also, how do I set up email notification of responses???)

MarkCron Jun 20, 2019 12:57 pm

yes they can get lower. but they might not
If you a DL PL or Diamond, book now and you can change for free if the cost ever comes down,

gooselee Jun 20, 2019 1:03 pm

128k for US<>Europe roundtrip in business is a very good price on DL, and one of the lowest you will find.

In very occasional instance, DL will have a "Flash Sale" or some other promotion where a lower price is possible, but 128k is the normal floor as far as anyone can tell.

This is actually one place where DL miles have not lost an immense amount of value. Back in the days of award charts (perhaps 5-6 years ago), the lowest US<>Europe business award was 125k RT. So a 3k increase over several years...not so bad in the grand scheme of things.

indufan Jun 20, 2019 1:26 pm

Not much lower. I have found some at 125k but nothing below that. And I think that is a good deal.

xliioper Jun 20, 2019 2:08 pm

There was the JAX only awards for 116RT that was posted here a few days. Still looks to be active with no expiration date (60-day AP). Those 128K RT's also have a 60-day AP and are only good through Sep 4th, so window to book is rapidly running out. Always check the fare rules. The nominal low-level one-way is 105K on DL, 86K on VS, and 75K on AF/KL. So very unlikely to see anything less than these 128K/116K RT deals (which require an RT booking for purchase and are not available as one-way's).

TravelPhotographer Jun 20, 2019 2:11 pm

Thanks for answers.
Am going to grab them as I am a flash sale know-nothing...
Question:
Wifey has 147K & I have 238K..
If I understand correctly, it would cost 0.01 x 18K = $180 to get 256K in one account.
Is the alternative for both of us to buy (1) 128K award simultaneously, different laptops?
(then worry about seating side by side)
And if only (1) can be bought, is other refundable within X hours? X = ???
Thanks in advance. ^ ^ ^

xliioper Jun 20, 2019 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by TravelPhotographer (Post 31223327)
Thanks for answers.
Question:
If I understand correctly, it would cost 0.01 x 18K = $180 to get 256K in one account.
Is the alternative for both of us to buy (1) 128K award simultaneously, different laptops?
Thanks in advance. ^ ^ ^

It should tell you if there is only a handful left of seats in the bucket (less than 3 or 4 I think). You could always just start a dummy booking for 2 pax as well.

bgriff Jun 20, 2019 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by TravelPhotographer (Post 31223327)
Thanks for answers.
Question:
Thanks in advance. ^ ^ ^

As long as the trip is for flights originating out of the US, you are eligible for risk-free cancel on an award ticket same as on a cash ticket -- you can cancel up until midnight the day after you purchase. For what you are looking at, I would aim to book separate tickets out of each account. Doing it simultaneously won't really help anything -- one will still go through first and either will or won't screw up the second one, so you might as well do them one after the other, though obviously not waiting too long since someone else could conceivably swoop in and take that second ticket.

MSPLCOC Jun 20, 2019 2:25 pm

Just accomplished this same feat a few days ago to go D1 to Barcelona to catch a cruise. i found it most simple to book each independently, and worry about sitting next to each other later.since outbound is most likely a night trip, there isnt much to do after dinner besides read a book ,watch a movie or get some sleep. The only other hurddle ( for me anyway) is my wife tends to like us on one itineraryto make the check in process easier. I told her for 128 K round trip and a Mediterranean cruise, she would just have to get over it

mot29 Jun 20, 2019 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by indufan (Post 31223210)
Not much lower. I have found some at 125k but nothing below that. And I think that is a good deal.

Based on a disappeared post on the Premium Fare Deals board I was able to book JAX-AMS rt in first/D1 for 116,000 miles plus $59.43. Seems to have been some very special JAX deal as I couldn't reproduce it from RDU or DCA, my airports. Those were coming up around 200,000 miles for similar dates. Getting to JAX adds 29,000 miles, but still a low D1 fare to AMS in April.
I think the post disappeared because it was about paying with miles, not $s.

xliioper Jun 20, 2019 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by mot29 (Post 31223941)
Based on a disappeared post on the Premium Fare Deals board I was able to book JAX-AMS rt in first/D1 for 116,000 miles plus $59.43. Seems to have been some very special JAX deal as I couldn't reproduce it from RDU or DCA, my airports. Those were coming up around 200,000 miles for similar dates. Getting to JAX adds 29,000 miles, but still a low D1 fare to AMS in April.
I think the post disappeared because it was about paying with miles, not $s.

I posted about the JAX deal in post 5 above. Deal still seems to be active, but cities appear to be pretty limited (AMS and CDG for sure)..

TravelPhotographer Jun 20, 2019 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by MSPLCOC (Post 31223364)
Just accomplished this same feat a few days ago to go D1 to Barcelona

That's the destination!
For others interested in same,
Aug 19 & 20 seem to be the only departure dates that trigger 128K busn rt offer.
Return had to be between 14-18 days later to maintain 128K...

Why it would be only Aug 19 & 20, not any other dates 2 mos. either direction,
makes one wonder if Delta plays some kind of severe-restriction-game even
when other dates have same availability? And when that date is filled then
another specific pair of dates will be offered at 128K...??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

xliioper Jun 20, 2019 9:15 pm

There's no mystery here. The 128K RT awards have a 60-day advance purchase requirement and are good for travel through Sep 4th. That currently puts you at Aug 19th for departures to meet the requirements. All you have to do to discover this is click on the Fare Rules link. It's not that hard. These rewards have actually been around for several months now (and have been noted on the DL forum), but you need to pay attention to the AP requirements.

TravelPhotographer Jun 22, 2019 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper (Post 31224385)
There's no mystery here...

Of course there is.
For newbies & novices.
Points-Miles game can be as complicated as chess.

xliioper Jun 22, 2019 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by TravelPhotographer (Post 31229420)
Of course there is.
For newbies & novices.
Points-Miles game can be as complicated as chess.

Just click on the Fare Rules link for the award. It lists the requirements and limitations such advance purchase, minimum stay, and seasonality restrictions (if any). There's a 60 day advance purchase (which now puts us at Aug 21 to meet it), Saturday night stay required, and an end date of September 6th. You don't have to stay 14+ days, just over a Saturday (measured from date of arrival) and return by Sept 6th. Or course, that also requires finding days with bucket availability in the lowest level (that's what the flexible dates search is good for).