FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   New Tumi pouch (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1974807-new-tumi-pouch.html)

NotHamSarnie Jun 20, 2019 12:24 am

New Tumi pouch

On this evening's JFK - CDG flight:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...a2b5dfb5d1.jpg

Rather like the AF pouch, soft and sleek. New lotions and potions from Le Labo, nicer than the Kiehl stuff imho. Pen is purple like the DL uniforms. Missing the earplugs, fortunately brought my own.

silverforumsurf Jun 20, 2019 12:28 am

That’s a huge improvement from the mini suitcases marred by the cheap/terrible zippers..

wlau Jun 20, 2019 12:50 am

Originally Posted by silverforumsurf (Post 31221232)
That’s a huge improvement from the mini suitcases marred by the cheap/terrible zippers..

Yeah, the hard case is not space efficient and the sewing of the zippers are very poorly done.

jaimemayo Jun 20, 2019 1:29 am

I wish I would have gotten that amenity case instead of the hard case MSP-ICN on Sunday. I asked the flight attendant about them and she said she’d never seen one onboard.

MSPeconomist Jun 20, 2019 1:53 am

I hate the hard cases because theytake so much space. It's unrealistic to expect passengers to have room to add them to a carry on bag.

gooselee Jun 20, 2019 6:32 am

Nice! Hoping for one of the new ones on ATL-CDG in a couple weeks.

I always carry spare earplugs in my briefcase. :)

NotHamSarnie Jun 20, 2019 6:47 am

Originally Posted by gooselee (Post 31221847)
Nice! Hoping for one of the new ones on ATL-CDG in a couple weeks.

I always carry spare earplugs in my briefcase. :)

Me too! It's an essential of work travel and sleeping in hotels... but thought I'd warn people in case this lapse is deliberate and a sign that DL won't be providing them anymore.

cfabar1 Jun 20, 2019 2:19 pm

On what routes do the Tumi bags occur? All INTL? All Delta One?

Gig103 Jun 20, 2019 2:30 pm

That looks more like what I'd expect for a domestic transcon or PS! If this was the D1 pouch, was it really just a bag and two lotions and a pen? Or did you just not photograph the unchanged products (mask, toothbrush, tissues, socks, mouthwash)? Was it missing earplugs or are they no longer included?

cfabar1 Jun 20, 2019 2:51 pm

That’s my confusion... This looks like a domestic product, at best, and even somewhat limited.

ecaarch Jun 20, 2019 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by wlau (Post 31221274)
Yeah, the hard case is not space efficient and the sewing of the zippers are very poorly done.

Totally agree. But I like them because they are great for packing my granola bars to keep them from being broken. (Geez, doesn't that sound like a ringing endorsement?)

No earplugs in the new kits is a major error. I can't imagine that they cost that much.

The Situation Jun 20, 2019 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by ecaarch (Post 31223484)
Totally agree. But I like them because they are great for packing my granola bars to keep them from being broken. (Geez, doesn't that sound like a ringing endorsement?)

No earplugs in the new kits is a major error. I can't imagine that they cost that much.

That's a great idea. I have been keeping my granola bars crumbs:( in a Ziploc bag, but when they go from backpack to computer bag to other mode of transport, they have a rough go.

When I saw the press release, I did notice that earplugs were a notable omission from the D1 kit, but figured it was just forgotten or not important enough. Guess they assume the headphones suffice. I am sure you could always ask for one of the Y amenity kits that have them - there has got to be spares lying around.

NotHamSarnie Jun 20, 2019 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 31223375)
That looks more like what I'd expect for a domestic transcon or PS! If this was the D1 pouch, was it really just a bag and two lotions and a pen? Or did you just not photograph the unchanged products (mask, toothbrush, tissues, socks, mouthwash)? Was it missing earplugs or are they no longer included?

Ah sorry, I didn't bother snapping the unchanged products (toothpaste, toothbrush, eye covers mouthwash, socks, hand sanitizer) but noted the missing earplugs. The sock stripes had the new plum color scheme. Now that you mention it, there were no tissues either. It's D1.

Intl359Widget Jun 21, 2019 1:32 am

I have to say I am a big fan of the improved offerings with Le Labo onboard!

YMMV but I really like different Tumi amenity kit sizes as I can store Cigars or Scotch in them for different purposes.

MSPeconomist Jun 21, 2019 2:02 am

Originally Posted by cfabar1 (Post 31223442)
That’s my confusion... This looks like a domestic product, at best, and even somewhat limited.

Could it be the PS amenity kit, distributed in D1 by mistake?

I just got another of the hard sided ones. Bad idea.

rucksack Jun 21, 2019 2:57 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31224889)

IIRC, Delta has alternated soft/hard shell kits East/West for years.

NotHamSarnie Jun 21, 2019 4:09 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31224889)

No, it's a D1 kit, announced here:

https://news.delta.com/fine-fragranc...i-amenity-kits

Indeed the earplugs and tissues are no longer provided.

mridley2 Jun 21, 2019 9:08 am

Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie (Post 31225064)
No, it's a D1 kit, announced here:

https://news.delta.com/fine-fragranc...i-amenity-kits

Indeed the earplugs and tissues are no longer provided.

Why would the remove earplugs from the D1 & PS kit? Are they claiming that noise only comes from delta comfort or *GASP* Main cabin? I think that decision is not very well thought out.
if I have this upgraded kit on my next D1 trip I'll be sure to ask for an additional main cabin kit. I need/want the ear plugs because no I don't carry around my own.

TuxTom Jun 21, 2019 10:04 am

It's hard to believe, but I think the missing earplugs might be an oversight that no one seemed to notice. Seems like it would be pretty easy to rectify by providing the crews with plenty to hand out until they get them added back into the kits. Even with the worlds best noise cancelling headphones, a lot of people like myself don't like to sleep with them on because of their bulk.

rucksack Jun 21, 2019 11:28 am

Originally Posted by TuxTom (Post 31225913)
It's hard to believe, but I think the missing earplugs might be an oversight that no one seemed to notice. Seems like it would be pretty easy to rectify by providing the crews with plenty to hand out until they get them added back into the kits. Even with the worlds best noise cancelling headphones, a lot of people like myself don't like to sleep with them on because of their bulk.

And Delta's LSTN noise canceling headphones are far from the best...

Gig103 Jun 21, 2019 11:58 am

Originally Posted by rucksack (Post 31226169)
And Delta's LSTN noise canceling headphones are far from the best...

Even with Bose on AA or my personal set, it isn't always easy to sleep with over-ear headphones. I will say though that the earplugs from DL were far from the best too, but I'm spoiled by the ones in our labs.

I think DL should start handing out ear plugs and fix this. Might as well send an email, you never know if it will reach the right hands!

gooselee Jun 21, 2019 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 31226256)
Even with Bose on AA or my personal set, it isn't always easy to sleep with over-ear headphones. I will say though that the earplugs from DL were far from the best too, but I'm spoiled by the ones in our labs.

I think DL should start handing out ear plugs and fix this. Might as well send an email, you never know if it will reach the right hands!

Agree. I love my Sony NC headphones but no way can I sleep with them on.

I also like the earlier idea of requesting an extra C+ or MC kit if needed. Good backup if you forget to bring your own.

eneq Jun 21, 2019 5:27 pm

Does anyone know when these will be rolled out across the board? I remember reading somewhere that they'll introduce them on JFK flights in the summer and then everywhere else in the fall. Unfortunately, I cant remember or find that source.

gooselee Jun 21, 2019 6:51 pm

The only timing I've seen is from the official DL press release linked in an earlier post.

LE LABO is making its way into new Delta One TUMI amenity kits this month, and to more than 50 Delta Sky Clubs later this year, as part of Delta's new partnership with the artisanal fragrance brand. ​​​​​​

NotHamSarnie Jun 22, 2019 4:53 am

I think the missing earplugs and tissues are because of DL's efforts to reduce plastic packaging.

knownothing Jun 22, 2019 6:23 am

my flight last week from JFK to Paris had the earplugs. I tossed the tumi as find no use for it

rucksack Jun 22, 2019 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie (Post 31228099)
I think the missing earplugs and tissues are because of DL's efforts to reduce plastic packaging.

The press release only refers to removing the outer plastic packaging that used to be around the kit. I think removing the earplugs must be an oversight because if it was an issue of sustainability, Delta would more readily remove them from Main Cabin than Delta One or Premium Select.

sethb Jun 22, 2019 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 31226256)

Which kind are the earplugs you like so much?

youseeme Jun 24, 2019 9:19 am

Oh that's a great use of them! I was wondering what useful ways I could use them

Gig103 Jun 24, 2019 9:50 am

Originally Posted by sethb (Post 31229337)
Which kind are the earplugs you like so much?

I had to wait until work to check. "Howard Leight by Honeywell - Max". They have an NRR (noise reduction rating) of 33. They are a foam that you compress before inserting and they expand back out to fill your ear canal, so they fit and work way better than what DL was giving away. But that doesn't change the convenience of it being in a kit!

Bicoastal Local Jun 24, 2019 11:46 am

Originally Posted by rucksack (Post 31224970)
IIRC, Delta has alternated soft/hard shell kits East/West for years.

I just received another hard-sided case on my JFK-LAX flight. Are these new kits just replacing the westbound soft kits, or will Delta now be using the same case on both east and westbound flights?

gooselee Jun 24, 2019 11:58 am

IIRC the last time they updated the kits, they hit most of the intercontinental flights before they started rolling out to the TCONs. Wouldn't be surprised if the TCONs end up being some of the last flights to get the new kits.

rucksack Jun 24, 2019 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Bicoastal Yokel (Post 31234694)

I just received another hard-sided case on my JFK-LAX flight. Are these new kits just replacing the westbound soft kits, or will Delta now be using the same case on both east and westbound flights?

The press release doesn't directly address this, but my reading is that they are doing away with the hardshell altogether. I'd guess it will take a few months for this change to become widespread, though.

knownothing Jun 25, 2019 3:05 am

Bicoastal: I think the soft are overseas only?

daloosh Jun 27, 2019 2:02 am

On my last eastbound TCON, there were both hardside and soft in D1. I don't care for the earplugs, I just fall asleep in my Shure sound isolating earbuds, but the little pack of tissues was handy to throw in my backpack.

gooselee Jun 30, 2019 12:56 pm

ATL-CDG today. Gray hard case in a plastic bag. :(

sethb Jun 30, 2019 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 31234326)
I had to wait until work to check. "Howard Leight by Honeywell - Max". They have an NRR (noise reduction rating) of 33. They are a foam that you compress before inserting and they expand back out to fill your ear canal, so they fit and work way better than what DL was giving away. But that doesn't change the convenience of it being in a kit!

Thanks. I've been using similar foam ones, but I think only 31db NRR. I'd heard good things about Howard Leight earplugs before.

jthomps Jun 30, 2019 5:25 pm

Flew CDG-ATL in D1S on Friday - old case. :(

mayhem Jul 1, 2019 11:41 am

Flew D1 last Tuesday (6/25) JFK-LHR and got the new pouch. I see it as a cost reduction, feels way cheaper to me
- no ear plugs and no tissues
- toothpaste and toothbrush no longer packaged together in plastic (I care about the environment so fine with that, though feels less clean for the toothbrush to sit with the socks, despite the plastic cover)
- no organization in the pouch; the little case had straps and was much better organized
+ it is more space efficient (also a cost reduction for delta...) and probably lighter

gooselee Jul 2, 2019 4:29 am

Originally Posted by mayhem (Post 31258687)
Flew D1 last Tuesday (6/25) JFK-LHR and got the new pouch. I see it as a cost reduction, feels way cheaper to me
- no ear plugs and no tissues
- toothpaste and toothbrush no longer packaged together in plastic (I care about the environment so fine with that, though feels less clean for the toothbrush to sit with the socks, despite the plastic cover)
- no organization in the pouch; the little case had straps and was much better organized
+ it is more space efficient (also a cost reduction for delta...) and probably lighter

Sounds like the earlier post about these just starting out of JFK might be true.

I got an "old" hard case on my flight two days ago and it already broke. The fabric between the zipper and case split apart as I was zipping it back up empty. I almost wish this had just happened during the flight so I didn't have to figure out how to shove the thing in my briefcase.