Hate new Delta.com booking system!!

Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Change is inevitable.
Big surprise people hate it.

Maybe just maybe they actually looking at data on devices that are using their website and know that trends indicate people are moving away from "desktop computers" and going to touch based interfaces that require this type of design for ease of use.

As very astutely noted by another poster, people with "techie" skills aren't using the Delta website for more involved searches anyway. They are looking at multiple carriers and dates and want it all in one place.

Making it harder for "experienced" travelers, that is just silly. Plus define "experienced", I don't fly a lot (only GM) but I don't even use the Delta website to book, travel agent does it. So I found out there was a change on Flyertalk. Point being it isn't harder for me at all.

Seriously looking at both right now, other than fare class, it is just a layout change. If you can't get over that there is no pleasing you. This day and age you need to adapt to constantly changing technology... if you can't, just call customer service, they still answer the phone (eventually) last time I checked.

It never ceases to amaze me how people's underwear gets in such a twist when their computer buttons aren't in the same place. I mean I get it a moment of confusion annoyance, figure it out and move on. This "I hate this", "this is an outrage" stuff is becoming tiresome, I mean the pace of change with websites and technology just keeps increasing, all the whining hasn't changed that. Why all the hate?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
I was trying to make a booking on my laptop today, using Chrome.

I'd enter all of the necessary info and click the "red circle with the arrow" button and it would redirect me to the mobile website.

https://m.delta.com/?p=homeScreen

No issues on Firefox.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by defrosted
Change is inevitable. Big surprise people hate it. ... It never ceases to amaze me how people's underwear gets in such a twist when their computer buttons aren't in the same place. I mean I get it a moment of confusion annoyance, figure it out and move on. This "I hate this", "this is an outrage" stuff is becoming tiresome, I mean the pace of change with websites and technology just keeps increasing, all the whining hasn't changed that. Why all the hate?
well, some folks tend to forget that "FlyerTalk" doesn't always mean "FlyerRant" ...
Tanzguy and In2ishn like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
well, some folks tend to forget that "FlyerTalk" doesn't always mean "FlyerRant" ...
I am just as guilty as the next poster for ranting.

All I am saying is sometimes it becomes disheartening that everyone's default reaction is I hate this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by aww3583
I was trying to make a booking on my laptop today, using Chrome.

I'd enter all of the necessary info and click the "red circle with the arrow" button and it would redirect me to the mobile website.

https://m.delta.com/?p=homeScreen

No issues on Firefox.
same thing happened to me a few hours ago on chrome
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
There were some good changes to the website interface previously, however the booking results page really is annoying. Why do I need a huge frame with a lot of wasted space and giant pictures when I want to get information about if the flight has a meal, or how many miles it is?

Also I noticed that on my mobile app when I search for flights, I can't get the duration of the individual segments... it keeps showing the total trip time instead.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
I hate the new interface. Delta is forcing me to switch a travel agent to book. If they want to pay the agent for the booking, then so be it!!

1) Mileage calculator doesn't work as well. It used to give you segment by segment and now it's just one lump sum with no break out.
2) Fonts are too big and fluffy and generate a lot of unnecessary navigation movements with so much waste of space.
3) When you check a specific return result, the giant popup is very slow to generate and it includes astupid picture of the aircraft of the first segment but NOT the remaining segments!!! The is as useless as they get especially when they scaled the pictures of the plane to the same fixed size and various planes all looked the same.
4) Search result sort order is non-sensible - I can't quite see the logic. By default, it's not by duration, cost, departure or arrival time. It's a giant mess.

Delta really screwed up this update, it makes the last update look good. It took me an hour to book a flight that's normally done under 5 min. Have they not learned from Google' success? Keep it simple dummy!
Old Jun 20, 2019, 2:40 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Making it harder for "experienced" travelers, that is just silly. Plus define "experienced", I don't fly a lot (only GM) but I don't even use the Delta website to book, travel agent does it. So I found out there was a change on Flyertalk. Point being it isn't harder for me at all.
Here's one specific example: If you want to apply a gift certificate, you can't do that at checkout. There is a link "to redeem an eCertificate, click here". This forces you to enter the cert number and PIN on a new screen, then start the search completely from scratch (as if you were using the AMEX Companion Certificate). If you were trying to book something from Google Flights, that maybe wouldn't price out on the Delta site directly, you're out of luck.

If your usage patterns aren't affected, great, I'm happy for you. That doesn't mean other people don't have legitimate gripes.

Yes, eventually you grudgingly get used to it because you have no choice and you forget how easier/faster the old site used to be and what you could do with it, then the newer crappier interface becomes the "new normal" until the next "enhancement"

Anyway, there is this convenient feedback button floating on the right hand side of some pages:

I encourage everyone who hates the new site to make liberal use of this And if you like the new site, sure, leave feedback too. That's what it's there for...

(I also found a link "Website Feedback" which randomly appeared at the bottom of the booking dropdown and used that, but it's disappeared and can't figure out what triggered it so that may just be something that comes and goes for 1 out of every N users or something)
gretchendz, RealHJ and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Maybe just maybe they actually looking at data on devices that are using their website and know that trends indicate people are moving away from "desktop computers" and going to touch based interfaces that require this type of design for ease of use.
And yet, ironically, the latest two responsive UI iterations of the DL website basically do not work on my phone. I have to load "desktop view" and then zoom out/in to actually be able to read anything or have many of the buttons function.
RealHJ likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:15 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Zorak
Here's one specific example: If you want to apply a gift certificate, you can't do that at checkout. There is a link "to redeem an eCertificate, click here". This forces you to enter the cert number and PIN on a new screen, then start the search completely from scratch (as if you were using the AMEX Companion Certificate). If you were trying to book something from Google Flights, that maybe wouldn't price out on the Delta site directly, you're out of luck.
Exactly! And by the time you search again, the inventory may be gone, or on hold as you were checking out - but couldn't, and so then you need to hope it comes back, or wait it for it to release back into inventory, wasting a lot of time. And then when you start your flight search again and you try to enter the GCs upfront you can't, as then it kicks you over to the old and slightly less poorly designed UI, where you enter it properly at check out.

Like everything with Dullta, this is completely untested and there has been zero level of thought put in. I just don't get it why does Dullta think that QA is its mortal enemy, and always has to have the worst execution of everything, be it aircraft maintenance (or lack thereof) or web site functionality or booking system, of practically any airline.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:17 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by gooselee
And yet, ironically, the latest two responsive UI iterations of the DL website basically do not work on my phone. I have to load "desktop view" and then zoom out/in to actually be able to read anything or have many of the buttons function.
Yes, for several months now, it always kicks mobile devices like phones to the current horrendously designed and very buggy (text over text, things constantly broken) design, that is very difficult to use on the phone or tablet, requires a lot of zooming in and out and very finicky screen touches.

Dullta obviously is totally oblivious to the fact (out of touch with reality) that more and more people use mobile devices, as its current site design only really works on desktops, and is very hard to use on mobile devices, and the m.delta.com site is discontinued and always just redirects back to www.delta.com
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:22 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by danielSuper
20-something techies have their own script to pull data directly from Matrix ITA API. This UI is designed for boomers that are confused by more than 3 buttons on their VHS remote.
The update broke the Book with Matrix powertool, so not exactly true.

Unrelated, I’ve noticed that the new search seems to take furrrr evvvvv ahhhhh.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:01 am

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ekozie

It’s a new feature. It’s meant to slow you down so you can savor every moment of the booking process and get your dreams flying thinking about your upcoming awesome trip with Delta.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by ekozie

The update broke the Book with Matrix powertool, so not exactly true.

There's a workaround.

This is an example of the link provided by ITA PowerTools / Book with ITA:

Code:
http://www.delta.com/air-shopping/priceTripAction.action?tripType=multiCity&currencyCd=USD&exitCountry=us&itinSegment[0]=0:Z:SEA:ATL:DL:2580:NOV:20:2019:0&cabin=FIRST&fareBasis=TAVUA0FE&numOfSegments=1&paxCount=1&vendorRedirectFlag=true&vendorID=Google
Simply append this to the end of that link: &ftw_reroute=true

... and voila:

Update: this fix has been committed to the ITA Matrix Power Tools GitHub, so the script is working again for Delta (until DL breaks it again).

Last edited by rucksack; Jul 1, 2019 at 2:11 pm Reason: Updated to include that fix has been committed to ITA Matrix Power Tools GitHub
Old Sep 5, 2019, 1:15 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Zorak
Happy to report that "Find an eCredit" is back, so it is once again possible to apply a credit/voucher/gift card during checkout without starting all over again.

It pops up a dialog/wizard that I think looks stylistically like one of the recent previous versions of the web site, almost as if they just hastily revived that part of the code so they could paste it back in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.