What would A Flyer Talker do??

Reply

Old Jun 18, 19, 6:20 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Somewhere
Programs: Delta FO (I use to be More)
Posts: 2,761
What would A Flyer Talker do??

One of my closest friends was just diagnosed with pancreatic cancer which has spread to his lungs. (Warning to all if you can't poop for more then week go to a doctor)

Anywho he isn't a big money guy and doesn't have much family. He wants to go to the Dominican Republic as he isn't afraid to die from liquor poisoning. He is however worried that he won't feel strong enough to fly because he wants to fly the day after chemo.

Would you buy a ticket in his situation and hope Delta is compassionate if he has a doctors note and lets him move the flight if he is to sick to fly? Or would you tell him to buy a fully refundable fare which he most likely can't afford?

BTW I offered to buy the ticket and he is too proud to let me. Told me he won't go and my money would go to waste.
kop84 likes this.
HWGeeks is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 19, 6:22 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Olde Dominion
Programs: AA Gold - ooooh!
Posts: 621
Could you go with him?
Kamalaasaa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 19, 6:25 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Somewhere
Programs: Delta FO (I use to be More)
Posts: 2,761
Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa View Post
Could you go with him?
I am going with him if he's going I wouldn't let him go alone. He just won't allow me to purchase his ticket and he is making sure he pays for half. Told me he can't spend the little he has 6 feet under.

Probably would buy the tickets together so I can see if he can fly up front.
kop84 likes this.
HWGeeks is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 19, 6:27 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Programs: DL FO
Posts: 1,162
Originally Posted by HWGeeks View Post
One of my closest friends was just diagnosed with pancreatic cancer which has spread to his lungs. (Warning to all if you can't poop for more then week go to a doctor)

Anywho he isn't a big money guy and doesn't have much family. He wants to go to the Dominican Republic as he isn't afraid to die from liquor poisoning. He is however worried that he won't feel strong enough to fly because he wants to fly the day after chemo.

Would you buy a ticket in his situation and hope Delta is compassionate if he has a doctors note and lets him move the flight if he is to sick to fly? Or would you tell him to buy a fully refundable fare which he most likely can't afford?

BTW I offered to buy the ticket and he is too proud to let me. Told me he won't go and my money would go to waste.
Sorry to hear about your friend. Since he has a legitimate medical reason, he should be able to get a refund if it turns out he canít fly. But he will have to submit supporting documentation and wait for the refund to get approved, which could be a hassle compared to having a refundable ticket.
rucksack is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 19, 6:37 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Somewhere
Programs: Delta FO (I use to be More)
Posts: 2,761
He wouldn't want a refund, just move the flight a day or two in case he doesn't feel well enough to fly. he tends to get these really strong pains that he says feels like little needles stabbing his abdomen.

But I don't know if I should push him for a refundable or hope delta is compassionate enough to let him move the flight if he doesn't feel well enough.

Basically, we are planning his last vacation before his end.
HWGeeks is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 19, 6:37 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: miami, florida
Posts: 924
If you are a PM/DM then book the trip on miles and decide 72 hours before if you are going to go or not. Even as a non-DM/PM the cost to reinstate the miles will be $150 per ticket if they make you pay it after asking for a medical waiver. So sorry for the terrible diagnosis. Pancreatic has the highest fatality rate unfortunately.
sydneyracquelle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 19, 6:40 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: DL Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BW Diamond
Posts: 25,327
Isnít booking it a day after chemo a bit too optimistic? 3-7 days would seem to be more logical.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Jaimito Cartero is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 19, 6:47 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: YVR, HNL
Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Posts: 4,838
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle View Post
If you are a PM/DM then book the trip on miles and decide 72 hours before if you are going to go or not. Even as a non-DM/PM the cost to reinstate the miles will be $150 per ticket if they make you pay it after asking for a medical waiver. So sorry for the terrible diagnosis. Pancreatic has the highest fatality rate unfortunately.
This. Or if you are happy to pay (as it seems you are), either buy the cheapo fare with him so he sees it, then upfare to refundable tickets within 24 hours without him knowing. Or just buy the refundable tickets and fudge the receipt before you send it to him to show the amount he expects to pay for the cheapo ticket. He saves his pride and you have the peace of mind knowing that the ticket can be changed or canceled if he is unable to go.

I did this recently for a friend. We bought (together) the cheapest possible tickets. Within 24 hours, I canceled them and rebooked us into a higher fare bucket and used an upgrade instrument to get us both into F. She knows I have status and is not savvy on how it all works so it was an easy sell to convince her that we got complimentary upgrades due to my status.

A little white lie to allow a friend his pride yet do a nice thing for someone you obviously care about.
Finkface is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 19, 7:03 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Somewhere
Programs: Delta FO (I use to be More)
Posts: 2,761
Didn't think of that. Thanks
HWGeeks is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 19, 7:46 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, HI Spire, SPG gold, Marriott Gold, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Posts: 1,556
Minimum of two weeks after chemo end is more realistic. The side effects continue to get worse after the end of treatment before they get better.
puddinhead is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 19, 8:48 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Nashville,TN
Programs: AA Gold Elite
Posts: 295
Travel insurance is your friend. If the insurance is purchased within 14 days of the deposit/air purchase it should cover pre existing conditions-which he does have!
Chemo affects everyone differently with regards to side effects. My niece did better than most but even she would never have been able to fly the day after any of her chemo treatments.
So very sorry for your friends diagnosis and I hope he will allow friends and family to pamper and spoil him.
You are a very good friend.
However, the very recent news about so many Americans dying while on holiday in the DR makes me wonder why he wants to go there? I don't think the cause of these deaths has been determined yet.
wrp96, MSPeconomist and gretchendz like this.
sweetsleep is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 19, 11:44 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: San Luis Obispo, California
Programs: United (1K), AA (Platinum), IHG (Spire Elite), Marriott (Platinum Elite), National (Executive Elite)
Posts: 56
Donít have anything to add regarding the trip, but wanted to say Iím very sorry to hear about your friend. Lost my grandpa to pancreatic cancer in 2012. An awful, awful disease.

Hope your trip together goes smoothly and it can be an experience you cherish for a lifetime.
DiverDave, SeaHawg and HWGeeks like this.
rdh0924 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 19, 8:01 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Somewhere
Programs: Delta FO (I use to be More)
Posts: 2,761
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
Isnít booking it a day after chemo a bit too optimistic? 3-7 days would seem to be more logical.
It would actually be two days after chemo, Wednesday he has his chemo, Friday morning they remove some device that they put on him on Wednesday and he'd want to fly out Friday night to enjoy the week and a few days before he has to sit in the chemo chair again.

He chemo schedule is actually longer then the time they gave him, so kinda why he wants to do it.
HWGeeks is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 19, 8:24 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Programs: Delta DM, B6 Mosaic
Posts: 896
Originally Posted by HWGeeks View Post
It would actually be two days after chemo, Wednesday he has his chemo, Friday morning they remove some device that they put on him on Wednesday and he'd want to fly out Friday night to enjoy the week and a few days before he has to sit in the chemo chair again.

He chemo schedule is actually longer then the time they gave him, so kinda why he wants to do it.
If this is his first round of chemo, that timing might work out well. From what I've heard there is an accumulative effect, so later rounds becomes significantly more taxing than the early rounds. If I were you I'd just buy the non-refundable tickets on 1 PNR. Then if you have to delay the trip it's almost guaranteed Delta would cancel the trip and waive the fees for rebooking (they've done this for my family for medical issues far less serious). If you wanted to leave a day or two later, the fare may have gone up significantly, but at least you wouldn't get hit with the change fee. Best of luck to him during treatment, sounds like he's lucky to have a friend like you.
J0lt_C0la likes this.
Billy Mumphrey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 19, 9:15 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 170
Originally Posted by HWGeeks View Post
He wouldn't want a refund, just move the flight a day or two in case he doesn't feel well enough to fly. he tends to get these really strong pains that he says feels like little needles stabbing his abdomen.

But I don't know if I should push him for a refundable or hope delta is compassionate enough to let him move the flight if he doesn't feel well enough.

Basically, we are planning his last vacation before his end.
You're a good friend. The world needs more people like you.
MojaveFlyer, AKC6, kate_ and 3 others like this.
DCAFly is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread