Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What would A Flyer Talker do??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I’m very sorry for your friend - there but for the grace of God, go you are I. It’s wonderful that you’re helping him.

As as for the flights, I’d schedule a week after treatment and if things go sideways, DL would probably waive the change fee but just be prepared to cover it in case they don’t (and keep it a secret from your friend).
Old Jun 19, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by asquare
I would highly suggest your friend talking with his oncologist about what he can expect after the chemo on a day by day basis. If it was just to be a short trip, I would strongly advocate for going first, then coming back to start chemo. It is unlikely to make a difference in his overall life-span to wait another week (although that can't be guaranteed), but it would almost certainly make a difference in his energy levels for the trip.
It might make sense to talk to his oncologist about his plans to take the trip, as it seems more important to him to have a little quality of life rather than trying to extend his quantity of life through chemo. What are the chances that the chemo will help with this terminal cancer at all? A friend's father just got a terminal pancreatic cancer diagnosis. He said he's seen enough people go through chemo and radiation and be miserable for weeks or months, only to die anyway. So he decided to spend his money on an RV and took his wife on a road trip across the USA before dying. "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." Thanks for being such a great friend!
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
It depends

Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I read somewhere that it doesn't cover pre-existing conditions.
On the policy you buy. It will cost a bit more. A good travel agent can help find the right policy.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rucksack

Sorry to hear about your friend. Since he has a legitimate medical reason, he should be able to get a refund if it turns out he can’t fly. But he will have to submit supporting documentation and wait for the refund to get approved, which could be a hassle compared to having a refundable ticket.
In that case the OP would have a decent chance of friend letting OP front him the refund while it was getting processed; the argument in that case is not "let me give you this money;" it is "all I'm talking about is advancing you this money for a few weeks."

That approach might make it possible for OP to get the thing done whether or not Delta ultimately assented to the refund. OP could get friend to assent to being advanced the money if it turned out that there had to be a change or cancellation and then they could go forward with their plans.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:17 am

I am guessing there is some significance to the choice of the Dominican Republic, but if the desire was just to get away to a warm beach place, you could possibly consider Southwest to Cancun (for example) and take advantage of easier cancellation/change. This requires you are departing from someplace WN serves. The suggestion of use of miles (if you have them) sounded like the best alternative for DL flight to DR though.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by altabello
It might make sense to talk to his oncologist about his plans to take the trip, as it seems more important to him to have a little quality of life rather than trying to extend his quantity of life through chemo. What are the chances that the chemo will help with this terminal cancer at all? A friend's father just got a terminal pancreatic cancer diagnosis. He said he's seen enough people go through chemo and radiation and be miserable for weeks or months, only to die anyway. So he decided to spend his money on an RV and took his wife on a road trip across the USA before dying. "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." Thanks for being such a great friend!
As an MD, I'd say something like this. Some new chemo/immune therapeutics are incredible at extending life. If it's one of those, fine. However, sounds more like the old style chemo which is pretty nasty. If it isnt going to extend his life, and costs quality, then maybe no chemo. Some MDs just don't know how not to offer chemo. Their definition of "doing everything" can sometimes be everything in reference to extending life, without the true everything - quality, options, autonomy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.