Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What would A Flyer Talker do??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: Blinged Out
It is awesome what you’re doing. Chemo has different effects on different people, but often times, two days afterwards is the worst. My mother passed away from cancer after being diagnosed at stage 4.

She took taxotere, and it was bad. I would recommend your friend take the drip as slowly as possible.

As far as the ticket, I’d do what others suggested- secretly buy up.

Enjoy your time there. We could all be bubble wrapped and trapped in a cell and live “safer” for a few more days, but life is about living and enjoying moments together. Make sure you leave nothing on the table this trip.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:14 am

The device could be Neulasta OnPro don't know much about it because I myself do not prescribe it, but anecdotally I do hear that it helps patients.

Regardless, I think two days after Chemo is a little aggressive to take a trip to another country, with that said I have written plenty of medical notes to the airlines and I have found universally that the airlines are good about waiving changes fees and the like, specifically DELTA has been fantastic about it. I recently myself had a medical emergency (all healed now) and DELTA was really good about waiving all change fee/ etc. without any fuss and accepted my hospital discharge as enough proof, even though my MD was more than willing to write a note.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat
Was just with him he was getitng the chemo via iv and was able to talk with him for a bit in the hospital. He really wants to go he really doesn't want to spend his last days in his basement apartment. I looked at refundable fares and at first, I thought I might be able to do it but it looks like there a bit pricey might be the time of year I recall them being cheaper as I had bought one for me in the past.

He really wants to go even if he feels like crap, he just has this idea that we rent a car drive from Santo Domingo to Puerto Playa/Sosua/Cabarete and enjoy the views. He is always in pain but he's trying to be a trooper and wants to even return to work next week.

Tomorrow taking him to a yankee game to see how he handles 1 day after chemo.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by HWGeeks
Was just with him he was getitng the chemo via iv and was able to talk with him for a bit in the hospital. He really wants to go he really doesn't want to spend his last days in his basement apartment. I looked at refundable fares and at first, I thought I might be able to do it but it looks like there a bit pricey might be the time of year I recall them being cheaper as I had bought one for me in the past.

He really wants to go even if he feels like crap, he just has this idea that we rent a car drive from Santo Domingo to Puerto Playa/Sosua/Cabarete and enjoy the views. He is always in pain but he's trying to be a trooper and wants to even return to work next week.

Tomorrow taking him to a yankee game to see how he handles 1 day after chemo.
You are a wonderful human being.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
Would you be able to buy travel insurance?
gretchendz likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by manually
Would you be able to buy travel insurance?
I read somewhere that it doesn't cover pre-existing conditions.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle

You are a wonderful human being.
Nah I'm just doing what anyone else would do or try to do.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
It’s not easy to know the last days are coming, and still be there for your friend.

Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I don't know the schedules, but if you book the earliest Saturday morning flight, when you check-in on Friday if he's feeling okay maybe try to SDC to a Friday night departure? That way if he isn't feeling great Friday he has another overnight to recover.

I think this is easier in F than in economy with fare buckets and all, but just a thought. I also like the idea of having him buy the economy fare, then upgrading to F within 24h, via instrument, FCM, or upfare. Make sure that it's not going to his e-mail in case you go the paid route.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
I would wait until after he's been through the first cycle and then pick the days in the cycle where he feels the best -- also, if his white cells are depressed, I would avoid germ pools until they bounce back a bit.

Bob H
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gig103
I don't know the schedules, but if you book the earliest Saturday morning flight, when you check-in on Friday if he's feeling okay maybe try to SDC to a Friday night departure? That way if he isn't feeling great Friday he has another overnight to recover.

I think this is easier in F than in economy with fare buckets and all, but just a thought. I also like the idea of having him buy the economy fare, then upgrading to F within 24h, via instrument, FCM, or upfare. Make sure that it's not going to his e-mail in case you go the paid route.
we want the late night flight on Friday well late night is 8pm arrives around 11:30 it would be a intl flight so no SDC
Old Jun 19, 2019, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Go on trip and then do chemo?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
we want the late night flight on Friday well late night is 8pm arrives around 11:30 it would be a intl flight so no SDC
We took a late night JFK-SDQ several years ago with a similar departure time. Strangest flight I've ever been on. FWIW I think there were probably only 3 other people who weren't speaking in Spanish in the gate area. Delta could only fill half the F cabin with complimentary upgrades so they were hawking $50 upgrades at the gate. Nobody bit. Flight was full so they handed out 8 OPUPs. Once boarding started everyone was pushing and shoving trying to get onto the plane. Finally the GA gave up and stopped calling zones because it became so chaotic. Everyone had a fully packed carry-on bag, and some people had several with them, and when I boarded there was a mountain of bags at the end of the jet bridge (about 6 feet high) to go underneath the plane.

I was telling someone on board how this was such great people watching. He said he flies the route regularly and this is the norm.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Forgot that SDC isn't for international. I have never used it, just know it's talked about on FT!
Old Jun 19, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, HH-Gold, MR - Gold, HY-Explorist
In general, I find airlines to be reasonably forgiving with a doctor's note, especially if you can say something like chemotherapy...
That being said, I would echo people who suggested that leaving immediately after the 1st cycle of chemo may not be a great idea. People tend to feel worse before they feel better. The best time to go is just before a chemo cycle when one is feeling the best, not just after when the worst is still ahead. Beyond that, should he have significant complications of the chemo, you would be far away from his doctors who know him best. If you do decide to go, this is a time to ensure that you have a plan for where to go should things go south (where is the closest hospital to where you are staying, do you have travel insurance that covers transport back to the US for further treatment, etc).
I would highly suggest your friend talking with his oncologist about what he can expect after the chemo on a day by day basis. If it was just to be a short trip, I would strongly advocate for going first, then coming back to start chemo. It is unlikely to make a difference in his overall life-span to wait another week (although that can't be guaranteed), but it would almost certainly make a difference in his energy levels for the trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.