Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX shuttle from TBIT back to T2/T3?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2019, 1:07 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Oh and a double Suntory whisky was exactly the $28 allowance you get, if you're not hungry.....
Old Jul 13, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Well... this is strange! I fly through LAX almost every week, mostly connecting to/from international flights. I knew there is a bus from T2/T3 to TBIT, but I didn't know it's possible to go from TBIT to T2/T3 in an airside bus. Is there actually one for people arrived into TBIT on an international flight?!?!?!

Upon arrival, I clear immigration (global entry kiosk), then off to get my luggage. After clear custom (global entry line), I turn right for connecting flights. After I drop off my luggage to be rechecked, there is only one-way out... that's to the TBIT arrival concourse. I usually just walk over to T3 and clear security again. The walk admittedly is much faster than the bus ride, I am not crazy about re-clearing security then walk the tunnel.

Am I missing something? Is there an easier way to go from TBIT to T2/T3 on airside for arrivals?
Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by wlau
Well... this is strange! I fly through LAX almost every week, mostly connecting to/from international flights. I knew there is a bus from T2/T3 to TBIT, but I didn't know it's possible to go from TBIT to T2/T3 in an airside bus. Is there actually one for people arrived into TBIT on an international flight?!?!?!

Upon arrival, I clear immigration (global entry kiosk), then off to get my luggage. After clear custom (global entry line), I turn right for connecting flights. After I drop off my luggage to be rechecked, there is only one-way out... that's to the TBIT arrival concourse. I usually just walk over to T3 and clear security again. The walk admittedly is much faster than the bus ride, I am not crazy about re-clearing security then walk the tunnel.

Am I missing something? Is there an easier way to go from TBIT to T2/T3 on airside for arrivals?
Do you think upon arrival at TBIT the bus goes "poof" into a cloud of smoke? It of course goes back to T3/2, drops off passengers, loads up passengers, goes back to TBIT.

After international arrival its usually quicker to walk landside between terminals. However you can of course clear at TBIT, then catch bus.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Do you think upon arrival at TBIT the bus goes "poof" into a cloud of smoke? It of course goes back to T3/2, drops off passengers, loads up passengers, goes back to TBIT.

After international arrival its usually quicker to walk landside between terminals. However you can of course clear at TBIT, then catch bus.
It doesn't go "poof", it just change sign and operate as different bus. I've never seen a queue at TBIT, which is why I asking this... In reverse, I have not yet seen a TBIT-bound bus that arrive at T2/T3 with people on it or getting off and I do this every week.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:46 pm

There is no way one can go from international arrival -> immigration -> customs and still end up on secured airside.
Not just LAX, but all airports in the world.

You always have to go through security again.

So this bus is really only useful for domestic (T2, 3) -> international (Terminal B) transfer
Or domestic (T1, 2, 3) -> domestic (T4, 5, 6, 7) : was surprised the bus even go that far
But not applicable for the opposite direction where you go from international arrival -> domestic.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
It doesn't go "poof", it just change sign and operate as different bus. I've never seen a queue at TBIT, which is why I asking this... In reverse, I have not yet seen a TBIT-bound bus that arrive at T2/T3 with people on it or getting off and I do this every week.
It's the same bus, I'm not sure where your issue is. I made the "poof" comment, as you're acting like the bus drops passengers off, simply disappears never going back to T2/3. As DL checkin is only at T2/3 not many need to go the TBIT to T2/3 so wont see many going that direction.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 3:53 pm

Yeah, walking to T2/3 is fastest landslide and clearing security there, unless there was something that you wanted to do in TBIT airside like the PP lounge options (PF Changs or KAL).

If the TBIT security lines are long or don't have PreCheck/a biz ticket (there's not SkyPriority benefits otherwise), a trick is to use the international arrivals security line as that line is often much shorter than the regular economy traveler line.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
Yeah, walking to T2/3 is fastest landslide and clearing security there, unless there was something that you wanted to do in TBIT airside like the PP lounge options (PF Changs or KAL).

If the TBIT security lines are long or don't have PreCheck/a biz ticket (there's not SkyPriority benefits otherwise), a trick is to use the international arrivals security line as that line is often much shorter than the regular economy traveler line.
Does the LAX international arrivals' security line have a separate precheck lane?
Most airports that i know of dont.
But I have never need to use it so I dont know if they will honor your precheck privileges (no need to remove shoes, laptop etc) if you really insist.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
. In reverse, I have not yet seen a TBIT-bound bus that arrive at T2/T3 with people on it or getting off and I do this every week.
You must be preoccupied then, I've never taken the bus without seeing people depart it, but it's usually only 2-3 people.

As you should be aware, international arrivals always end up outside security so there is little demand for the TBIT-T2/3 route. But it is the only way to get from T4-5-6-7-8 to T2/3 airside so that's likely the primary traffic.

If you do this so often I'm puzzled why you ask if there is a TBIT-T2/3 bus for international arrivals. Of course not, arrivals end up outside security.
flyerCO likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 12:22 am

Don't forget there are times when domestic flights do use the 133 and other TBIT gates so there can be people needing to bus back to T2/3. I assume those people with checked bags have to go to T2/3 to collect them there.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 4:38 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
Don't forget there are times when domestic flights do use the 133 and other TBIT gates so there can be people needing to bus back to T2/3. I assume those people with checked bags have to go to T2/3 to collect them there.
I can safely say I didn't forget, but that's because I never knew. What domestic routes use TBIT?
Old Jul 14, 2019, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I can safely say I didn't forget, but that's because I never knew. What domestic routes use TBIT?
Theres no set route. Although at one point in past the MCO nonstops seemed to always takeoff from TBIT.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:12 am

It's random and I think just depends on gate availability. My last flight to MSY departed from TBIT. Also the time I was brought by Porsche from T2 to TBIT, there was another girl who didn't realize that her domestic flight left from TBIT had a really tight time crunch so I asked as a DM to bring her along. She still missed her flight but was appreciative of the lift.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
What domestic routes use TBIT?
SYD-LAX on a 772 usually arrives at TBIT and continues on to ATL from Gate 133 (DL 2714).
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:39 pm

I'm on a 777 from LAX-ATL next month (oddly seems the flight number changes from 2714 to 284, which currently doesn't exist) and also on my way back ATL-LAX. I'll try to remember to report where the gates for the flights are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.