Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Intl flight oversold. Does a plat have any chance at delta one?

Old Jun 18, 19, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Im a plat medallion. My flight to mad is over sold. Do i even need to go to the gate to tell them id take a delta one upgrade? Will it help? Im not one the econ comfort upgrade list bc i got my favorite seat in coach 30B
Old Jun 18, 19, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by Stalefish2 View Post
Im a plat medallion. My flight to mad is over sold. Do i even need to go to the gate to tell them id take a delta one upgrade? Will it help? Im not one the econ comfort upgrade list bc i got my favorite seat in coach 30B
zip, zero, nada...
boss315 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 19, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont View Post

zip, zero, nada...
and that’s likely overstating the likelihood
bubbashow and boss315 like this.
Old Jun 18, 19, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PP
“id take the delta one upgrade” 😂 Who wouldn’t?

Making yourself known to the gate agent almost certainly will not help (might even hurt). If the flight is truly oversold, you have a reasonable chance of being upgraded as a PM. It happened to me a few times as a PM. I’d recommend forgetting about it, though, and just be pleasantly surprised if a new seat assignment spits out when you board.
jaimemayo and krakendown like this.
Old Jun 18, 19, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. They upgraded 3 people but not me! Oh well at least i got my leg room!
Old Jun 18, 19, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Stalefish2 View Post
Thanks everyone. They upgraded 3 people but not me! Oh well at least i got my leg room!
Sorry you didn't get the upgrade. Keep in mind it's possible (if not likely) that the people who were upgraded were using GUCs. You could have determined that by looking at the upgrade list before upgrades cleared.
Old Jun 19, 19, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rucksack View Post
Sorry you didn't get the upgrade. Keep in mind it's possible (if not likely) that the people who were upgraded were using GUCs.
Or they could have been Diamonds, and/or on high coach fare classes.
Old Jun 19, 19, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by rucksack View Post
Sorry you didn't get the upgrade. Keep in mind it's possible (if not likely) that the people who were upgraded were using GUCs. You could have determined that by looking at the upgrade list before upgrades cleared.
How could you tell whether somebody was using a GUCs, their medallion level, or whether their ticket fare was higher than yours?

I know you can see the order of the list but other than that, I don't believe there is any other visual indication of anything else driving the order of the list. Or is your point that you'd see where in the list the OP fell?
Old Jun 19, 19, 10:19 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks

zip, zero, nada...
So confident you are in that answer.

It makes me feel special to have achieved the impossible quite a few times.
Old Jun 19, 19, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by cre95 View Post
How could you tell whether somebody was using a GUCs, their medallion level, or whether their ticket fare was higher than yours?

I know you can see the order of the list but other than that, I don't believe there is any other visual indication of anything else driving the order of the list. Or is your point that you'd see where in the list the OP fell?
My point was that for int’l Delta One flights, the only way to appear on the upgrade list before upgrades clear is to be waitlisted for an upgrade using a GUC. The OP would never appear on the list unless they received an operations upgrade.
ijgordon and Walker1921 like this.
Old Jun 19, 19, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by cre95 View Post

If they're trying to use GUCs at the gate, they would appear on the upgrade list for the flight. (NRSAs appear on the standby list, along with those customers without seat assignments who are confirmed on the flight; there's normally no SDS on longhaul international segments.)
Old Jun 19, 19, 10:58 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond

zip, zero, nada...
Okay...well I got an op-up to D1 on CDG - RDU last year as a then GM due to oversell in Y
btonkid12345 and bsagator like this.
Old Jun 20, 19, 11:49 am

I was op-upgraded to D1 three weeks ago as Platinum for a 15h flight. The airplane was 777 with more D1 seats. As mentioned by others, my name was never on the upgrade list because I didn’t have GUC. I could see that there were 8 D1 seats available. About 1hour before boarding I got an email with new seat number. I then checked my app the seat was also changed from C+ to D1
Old Jun 20, 19, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
Okay...well I got an op-up to D1 on CDG - RDU last year as a then GM due to oversell in Y
poster was referring to PM. As a GM your odds actually increased to .01% from zilch/zero/nada😁
Duke787 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 19, 12:32 pm

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL DM360 1MM
Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
Happened 2-3x to me during holiday times as a GM on BRU-JFK; even had a friend who got the op-up as an FO (!) on BRU-JFK over holidays.

Definitely not zero for a PM if you're on leisure/holiday heavy times

Search this Thread
Search Engine: