Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Intl flight oversold. Does a plat have any chance at delta one?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Intl flight oversold. Does a plat have any chance at delta one?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL DM
Got an op up several years ago as a GM out of JFK to Europe. It can happen...
jd2601 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by NHFL9
Got an op up several years ago as a GM out of JFK to Europe. It can happen...
Four years ago, I had a lucky string of MSP-LHR flights, a more leisure heavy route. As a then-PM, I got the OpUp 5 outta 10 MSP-LHR/LHR-MSP legs that year. That would likely never happen ATL-LHR or JFK-LHR.
In2ishn likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
It happened to me as a PM returning from PRG to JFK at the end of a 2-week holiday that had started with a flight in Economy Comfort, but one that had been delayed a couple hours and had spent a lot of time taxiing, so it was a little grueling but not horrible. I had steeled myself for the ordeal when I was getting ready to board for my return, but having my boarding pass rejected and being handed a new one up front was a welcome extension of my holiday.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:48 pm

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont

zip, zero, nada...
Maybe now. In 2012, my wife was upgraded LAX-NRT. I was upgraded LAX-NRT and SEA-NRT. In 2015, when I was flying NRT-MNL, I was upgraded when I asked if they needed volunteers. They also upgraded my in-laws.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:19 am

Programs: Delta Diamond
I got upgraded to first on an oversold flight from Osaka to HNL, on my 2nd flight while doing the status match challenge!! that's one way to sell me haha
Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
As a DM I had several over a couple years, as a PM I’ve had a few over the next couple years. Generally AMS-MSP
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:36 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
I've been upgraded on LAX-HND and vice versa back when I was a mere GM. It can happen, but it usually won't.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: Skymiles
I've gotten three op-ups to business in the last 5-6 years. One as silver medallion (TYO-LAX I think), one as gold (ICN-SEA), one as platinum(JFK-LIS this month). I feel like it depends more on the route than your status. Pretty sure there aren't going to be a lot of diamond medallions flying KIX-SEA for instance. ATL-AMS is probably a different story.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by pgh234
So confident you are in that answer.

It makes me feel special to have achieved the impossible quite a few times.
Ok.. how much chance you would be prepared to BET $1000 on it happening on a particular flight? (Zip, Zero, Nada?)
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:49 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
I've certainly had these over the years, usually a surprise and always appreciated. Summer from AMS was a few good hits, which before I had avoided due to costs but then with the op-up I was like...well, not as bad...

Hasn't happened in a while for me but some of it is because we are already booked in J due to award tix or GUCs.

Anyone get one on a partner airline like Virgin Atlantic??
Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:08 am

Twice for me. ATL to NRT as a newly minted early plat last Xmas day, and NRT to MNL just last week.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott, IHG
I guess I'm unlucky

i have not been upgraded on a DL international flight since the early 2000s. I've never even been offered a buy-up. I guess I'm flying the wrong routes.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by trooper
Ok.. how much chance you would be prepared to BET $1000 on it happening on a particular flight? (Zip, Zero, Nada?)
On certain flights to certain destinations at certain times of the year...I would take that bet. Lots of hints in this thread already.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by No_Name
i have not been upgraded on a DL international flight since the early 2000s. I've never even been offered a buy-up. I guess I'm flying the wrong routes.
Tons of buy ups for me. However they have never really been worth my miles, because the cost has been or exceeded what the same amount of miles would allow me took book Tpac for 100-300 out of pocket for main and be immediately upgraded for C+. Until that is a few weeks ago when I got a SEA-NRT buyup for $300 in a350 D1. That allowed me to keep my miles and throw the cash at them. On the same trip they wanted $900 from C+ to old D1 on the 4hr flight from NRT-MNL (no thanks) and I ending up getting upgraded anyway 🤗
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:15 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
Anyone get one on a partner airline like Virgin Atlantic??
Happened twice as DL PM pre-merger. Same circumstances both times - flying NW AMS-MEM, gate staff was KL.

I guess it made up for the near mis-connect that I had around that time at AMS that resulted in me getting the last seat on a NW DC-10 AMS-DTW - the middle of the middle 5. That was a miserable flight but I did get home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.