Wiki Posts
Search

Delta orders 5 more A220-100s

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Delta orders 5 more A220-100s

The A220 fleet will now reach at least 95 frames between the -100 and -300.
https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/pres...-aircraft.html
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
The A220 fleet will now reach at least 95 frames between the -100 and -300.
https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/pres...-aircraft.html
I'll take this as a sign that Delta is quite happy with these planes.

I've seen it from the outside in SLC as I was screwed out of my flight due to a missed connection and then from SJC as I was waiting for my flight. It looks great and it seems so much quieter when it's flying over you as well.

I get my first ride on one this Sunday. Can't wait.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold
I think the more important tidbit in this article is the MOU that DL and Airbus signed for TechOps to do maintenance on the aircraft. Further diversifying the revenue stream is good the airline, also puts their amazing skills to good use. Love it.
defrosted likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Somewhat surprised by this tiny order. Seems more like posturing than a normal Delta order (presumably as the down payment for the MOU)? Wonder if they are getting weird slots or something?

One thing that confused me a bit:

Originally Posted by Airbus
Delta Air Lines has ordered five additional A220-100 aircraft, bringing to 95 the total number of orders placed, including both the A220-100s and A220-300s. The airline is the first to select the new increased maximum takeoff weight option for its entire fleet from 2020.
Doesn't Delta have reduced MTOW A220s? So are they taking the extra 2 tons on the reduced MTOW A220s? Or are they converting them all to the full MTOW?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I'll take more of these for sure. Flew on my first one a few weeks ago and in terms of domestic aircraft it's quite nice.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ethernal
Somewhat surprised by this tiny order. Seems more like posturing than a normal Delta order (presumably as the down payment for the MOU)? Wonder if they are getting weird slots or something?

Doesn't Delta have reduced MTOW A220s? So are they taking the extra 2 tons on the reduced MTOW A220s? Or are they converting them all to the full MTOW?
Good catch and good question. If they are buying MTOW A220s that presumably means we'll start seeing more long, thin mid-con and transcon flights (selfishly IMO since RDU would be a perfect place for a set of A220s for transcon flights like RDU - LAX and RDU - SEA plus the possibility for new routes (like RDU - SJC)
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
I read that as "they're keeping the existing fleet as-is but accepting the increased MTOW as soon as it's deliverable."

5 does represent a remarkably small order, but they had just ordered 15 back in December, so this strikes me as a phased approach to their MD88/90/B717 retirement plans. Actually, this may indicate their intent to retire the B717 fleet earlier than originally planned. I know we talk about Delta's past practice of buying aircraft at fire sale prices then keeping them flying forever, but any more it's all about fuel consumption and the newest generation of high-bypass engines promises to offset the initial capital outlay over the life of the airframe in reduced fuel costs.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by reimero
I read that as "they're keeping the existing fleet as-is but accepting the increased MTOW as soon as it's deliverable."
You're probably right - it's just very odd language. Maybe it means "entire fleet to be delivered" as opposed to "existing fleet". With that said (PIP-parts aside if they are the enabler of the MTOW increase), MTOW adjustments are primarily just a paper exercise (possibly a software update) so converting the fleet is entirely possible.

5 does represent a remarkably small order, but they had just ordered 15 back in December, so this strikes me as a phased approach to their MD88/90/B717 retirement plans. Actually, this may indicate their intent to retire the B717 fleet earlier than originally planned. I know we talk about Delta's past practice of buying aircraft at fire sale prices then keeping them flying forever, but any more it's all about fuel consumption and the newest generation of high-bypass engines promises to offset the initial capital outlay over the life of the airframe in reduced fuel costs.
We'll see. Fuel costs are important, but these are primarily sub-500 mile route planes. Fuel economy matters a lot less on those types of routes. If anything, I would say the fact that the cost of capital is so cheap that the fixed costs of carrying an expensive aircraft frame have gone down (i.e., parking A220s in low demand periods is not that costly). If I was Delta, I would want to keep a few low capital cost planes around to manage seasonal demand. But, again, with capital costs so low.. it's hard to say.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
We'll see. Fuel costs are important, but these are primarily sub-500 mile route planes. Fuel economy matters a lot less on those types of routes. If anything, I would say the fact that the cost of capital is so cheap that the fixed costs of carrying an expensive aircraft frame have gone down (i.e., parking A220s in low demand periods is not that costly). If I was Delta, I would want to keep a few low capital cost planes around to manage seasonal demand. But, again, with capital costs so low.. it's hard to say.
With talk of making SJC a "focus city" (whatever that means), maybe they are considering SJC-BOS, SJC-RDU, or SJC-AUS using these planes. It would also be good for thinner routes out of hubs like SEA, LAX, and SLC.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:36 pm

never mind. Reading before posting is always a better idea.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
A few more SEA routes that come to my mind that are A220 candidates: SEA-MKE/MCI/TUS/PSP. Deploying a E75 on SEA-MKE/MCI puts DL at a significant cost disadvantage.
BenA likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by ab2013
A few more SEA routes that come to my mind that are A220 candidates: SEA-MKE/MCI/TUS/PSP. Deploying a E75 on SEA-MKE/MCI puts DL at a significant cost disadvantage.
Do you know something Delta doesn't?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by DCP2016
Do you know something Delta doesn't?
It’s not exactly a secret that smaller planes, especially RJs, have higher operating unit costs. Strategically, DL will narrow down the cost advantage that AS has by switching to the A220s. IIRC they actually called this out in their most recent Investor Day.

Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
Good catch and good question. If they are buying MTOW A220s that presumably means we'll start seeing more long, thin mid-con and transcon flights (selfishly IMO since RDU would be a perfect place for a set of A220s for transcon flights like RDU - LAX and RDU - SEA plus the possibility for new routes (like RDU - SJC)
Would be quite a drop in seats from the 738 on RDU-LAX/SEA if they replaced it completely. Could be used to increase frequencies though and like you mentioned, open up new routes.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
Would be quite a drop in seats from the 738 on RDU-LAX/SEA if they replaced it completely. Could be used to increase frequencies though and like you mentioned, open up new routes.
RDU-SEA is on a A319 during the hard winter months when SEA sees less traffic. Load factor (and probably yield too) would improve with reduced capacity.

LFs:

2/2019

AS 79%
DL 77%

1/2019

AS 79%
DL 82%

Duke787 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.