Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Adds 'S' as New Comfort+ Booking Code

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Adds 'S' as New Comfort+ Booking Code

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Why would RUCs and GUCs book into SY?

Not only can they not be redeemed CURRENTLY for C+ but who would wasn't one on C+ anyways...

I hope this isn't a harbinger of further restrictions on certs to come....
Old Jun 18, 2019, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
I just booked an award ticket and chose C+ on the outbound leg only. I could have sworn the class on the receipt was listed as S when I bought the ticket a couple days ago. Now it says SW. I'll be disappointed if they change the SDC rules, because I spent an extra 1000 Skymiles for C+ rather than Y just for the improved SDC availability.
Well, it would have been S just a few days ago because that's what they were using for C+ awards at the time. If they wanted to qualify C+ SDC by original booking inventory, they could have easily been doing it already with the underlying coach fare class in the basis code (which they do use for upgrade priority/GUC usage). While there will be two C+ revenue booking classes, there will only be one award C+ booking class (SW). What would be the original booking inventory in this case? S? W? SW (which will likely be the same as any open C+ seat). The underlying award coach basis class for your C+ award fare? (which just goes back to the fact they could have been doing this already with underlying coach class, but aren't).

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 18, 2019 at 7:59 am
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Delta Re-purposing 'S' class as discount Comfort+

I have looked around and performed some searches in this forum but have not found this mentioned elsewhere. (C+ is hard to search ) If there is already a thread, mods, please merge.

In looking for some C+ purchases for travel next year, I started to see 'S' class offered as a Comfort+ option here and there.

In looking around, I found this:
Delta Comfort Plus | Delta Professional

Delta Comfort+ fares are booked in "W or S*" Class. *Delta Comfort+ fares in “S” class will be filed in markets that offer Delta Comfort+ as a fare through the month of July, for travel on/after September 4, 2019.
This has several ramifications - not so much with Skymiles as MQM earn is still 100% as is with W.

This change may make SDC more complicated if it becomes class based (e.g. Booked in S but only W available).

It could change things with some partners, unless the earn tables are updated. For example with Virgin Australia Velocity, S on Delta currently earns as "Discount Economy" while W earns as "Premium economy".

It seems upgrades may be rebooked into S class as well.

Upgrade Notification
  • “S” Class will be a valid class used for Delta Comfort+ as a fare and when a customer is upgraded into Delta Comfort+.
  • Medallion members will be notified of their new Delta Comfort+ seat assignment via email and will have the option to change to another Delta Comfort+ seat, if available.
  • For travel agency booked PNRs: When an upgrade occurs, “S” Class will be a valid class used when a customer is upgraded into Delta Comfort+ (“W or S” class is still used for paid purchases, either as a fare or an ancillary seat product).

Last edited by serfty; Jul 6, 2019 at 11:14 pm
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
This change may make SDC more complicated if it becomes class based (e.g. Booked in S but only W available).
Has SDC for C+ only required W fare thus far, or has it required the underlying economy fare to be available?
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Has SDC for C+ only required W fare thus far, or has it required the underlying economy fare to be available?
W to W - underlying fare bucket has not mattered, there is some discussion/confirmation in the SDC thread and its wiki:

Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Last edited by serfty; Jul 6, 2019 at 11:19 pm
Old Jul 6, 2019, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's an existing thread on this topic from a few weeks ago -- Delta Adds 'S' as New Comfort+ Booking Code

Complimentary upgrades to C+ will continue to rebook into "SU" class (not simply 'S') which is exactly the way it works right now.

There are 5 domestic FC classes (J/C/D/I/Z) and DL does not distinguish between them for SDC, so I see little reason for concern simply because they are going from one to two C+ fare classes. As noted, C+ fares all have an underlying coach class and they could have already been using availability in that underlying coach class for SDC if they really wanted to distinguish between C+ fares.

Looking at the fare filings, it's clear that this gives DL the ability to price C+ somewhat independently of coach bucket availability. If coach is wide open, but C+ is getting filled, they can keep open V bucket availability for coach fares, but zero out the S bucket for C+ fares. This means that only the pricier W fares with underlying V can be purchased for C+. For domestic flights, W fares look to typically be $30 more than S fares which in turn are typically $30 more than the main cabin coach fares with matching filings.

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 6, 2019 at 11:38 pm
Old Jul 6, 2019, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xliioper
There's an existing thread on this topic from a few weeks ago -- Delta Adds 'S' as New Comfort+ Booking Code...
Thankyou, I have asked moderators to merge them.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by findark
I doubt they will abandon the differential pricing scheme for C+ fares; I assume this just lets them better capacity control the C+ cabin (i.e. if it's booked to N-3, they might only sell a higher W fare even though U or X is available).

Two-letter S* codes for various types of non-paid C+:
Forgive me since I'm new to this, but can you or someone explain the difference between SN which I see here and SW which I see people discussing below?
I just booked an awards seat and upgraded to C+ mid-purchase; the resulting fare classes were SN going to EU, SW coming back, both C+
award. Thanks for any edification you can provide.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 6:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
S generally should be award (and instrument supported upgrade, if applicable) inventory for C+ seats. The second letter designates what fare level in miles was applied (with SY presumably being instrument supported upgrades, but I don't think it's currently possible to use miles or a cert to "upgrade" to C+ from a coach fare paid in money). SU would indicate a free elite "upgrade" from coach to C+.

If you look at your ticket receipt carefully, you should see different numbers of miles being charged for your outbound and return portions of the RT award ticket even though it's the same city pair. This is what the SN versus SW means, with possibly different fare rules covering aspects such as advanced purchase requirements as well as inventory controls. Chances are that if you had instead purchased a RT ticket with money on the same day for exactly the same flights, you would have seen different fare classes and/or different fare rules for the outbound and return parts.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 6:36 pm

First of all thank you. 2nd, Apologies if I was not clear. I did not cash "purchase" them, I used miles and added the C+ upgrade with miles during the purchase.
One is SN, one is SW, and yes, Paris. I think I'm part parisian.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.