Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Excited to see DTW-SJC 8:30pm departure…

Old Jun 16, 19, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP G, DL PL

Just randomly to see if I want to book a ticket next year and then come across DTW-SJC DL2178 (for example Jan 13) leaving 8:30pm. Perfect for connecting people from regional airports and bring people back to Silicon Valley! Maybe it’s just a winter thing tho...

Last edited by lonelygod; Jun 16, 19 at 4:58 pm
Old Jun 16, 19, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by lonelygod View Post
Just randomly to see if I want to book a ticket next year and then come across DTW-SJC DL2178 (for example Jan 13) leaving 8:30pm. Perfect for connecting people from regional airports and bring people back to silicone valley! Maybe it’s just a winter thing tho...
Isn't the San Fernando Valley much closer to BUR than SJC?

Delta is trying to turn SJC into more of a "focus city" (although I am not sure what that means at an airport where they only have 4 gates...).
dlflyer00, SJC ORD LDR and HDQDD like this.
Old Jun 16, 19, 4:10 pm

You’ve gotta mean SNA
findark and dtwtransport like this.
Old Jun 16, 19, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by ethernal View Post
Delta is trying to turn SJC into more of a "focus city" (although I am not sure what that means at an airport where they only have 4 gates...).
Since technically all the gates are common gates at SJC, things can move around quickly. Plus, six new temporary gates opened up at the far south end of the terminal (gates 31 - 36), so there will be more room.

From what I can tell, DL is re-timing its flight from DTW to SJC and there is still only one flight per day. Of course, they could change their mind between now and then.
Old Jun 16, 19, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP G, DL PL
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR View Post
Since technically all the gates are common gates at SJC, things can move around quickly. Plus, six new temporary gates opened up at the far south end of the terminal (gates 31 - 36), so there will be more room.

From what I can tell, DL is re-timing its flight from DTW to SJC and there is still only one flight per day. Of course, they could change their mind between now and then.
yeah the current DTW-SJC is super early in the morning...
Old Nov 29, 19, 12:43 am

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott
Next Summer there's 2 daily SJC-DTW, both 739s. Love that DL continues to add more capacity to SJC
Zorak likes this.
Old Nov 29, 19, 8:05 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by kjnangre View Post
Next Summer there's 2 daily SJC-DTW, both 739s. Love that DL continues to add more capacity to SJC
Yes, SJC is a lot more convenient to the South Bay than SFO is, plus it's less affected by low ceilings/visibility than SFO is.

Now, if they could open a Skyclub... though I have to say, the new The Club is not bad and way closer to the gates used by Delta.
Old Nov 29, 19, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Originally Posted by fliesdelta View Post
Now, if they could open a Skyclub... though I have to say, the new The Club is not bad and way closer to the gates used by Delta.
I'm not so sure. I flew out of gate 10 last week and by the time you go down the hall and dogleg left past the kinetic clock thing or whatever it is, it feels just as long as going to the old Club. Which, I actually did originally before remembering "oh yeah there's a new Club open now"

It would almost have been more convenient in terms of Club placement if they'd stayed down in the 1-6 area.
Old Nov 29, 19, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
It would almost have been more convenient in terms of Club placement if they'd stayed down in the 1-6 area.
But less convenient in EVERY other regard. The new DL gates are the best gates in the entire airport (actually they're the best gates in any Bay area airport combined) and I'm sure they reflect the fact that DL is growing significantly at SJC
Zorak likes this.
Old Nov 29, 19, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
But less convenient in EVERY other regard.
Well, except taxi times to/from that end of the runway

But yeah, I'm not clamoring for them to move back
kjnangre likes this.
Old Nov 29, 19, 9:57 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
But less convenient in EVERY other regard. The new DL gates are the best gates in the entire airport (actually they're the best gates in any Bay area airport combined) and I'm sure they reflect the fact that DL is growing significantly at SJC
They got those gates because they are largest operator out of Terminal A. AS and WN are both bigger, but use the newer terminal B. From what I understand, people are happier with not walking down to the far end of A.
Old Nov 29, 19, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR View Post
They got those gates because they are largest operator out of Terminal A.
Yes we know they're the largest in Terminal A.

Are you stating as a fact that alone was the determining factor for the gate change? Please provide your source for that being the only factor.
Old Nov 30, 19, 8:55 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 1MM, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Great to hear that. I had actually been concerned about this route. Had 2 recent flights from DTW back to SJC which were astonishingly empty. I know this was discussed to death in another thread, but by now it seems clear the “focus city” designator really was just higher frequencies and bigger planes to existing hubs. Still holding out hope there are eventually flights to other focus cities, or even convenient ones intra-California. I know they’re already super saturated with AS and WN, but man does it suck flying DL to SAN and having to connect in SLC or LAX.
Old Dec 1, 19, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by jj243 View Post
Great to hear that. I had actually been concerned about this route. Had 2 recent flights from DTW back to SJC which were astonishingly empty. I know this was discussed to death in another thread, but by now it seems clear the “focus city” designator really was just higher frequencies and bigger planes to existing hubs. Still holding out hope there are eventually flights to other focus cities, or even convenient ones intra-California. I know they’re already super saturated with AS and WN, but man does it suck flying DL to SAN and having to connect in SLC or LAX.
I think the original timing was not very good, and 1x daily is not very convenient either. I remember when DL added the 2nd daily SCJ-ATL a few years ago, demand surged and within a few months they added a 3rd daily.

SJC-SLC and SJC-SEA are now entirely mainline too.

I personally think DL could do very well well on SJC-ICN, both tech hubs, a huge KE network at ICN and this route has no existing service.
Old Dec 1, 19, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
I personally think DL could do very well well on SJC-ICN, both tech hubs, a huge KE network at ICN and this route has no existing service.
What would they fly this with? It would be great to have this option, though. I much *MUCH* prefer SJC over SFO (which has non-stop to ICN by KE at this time).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: