Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Buying FC and immediately SDC to cheaper...

Buying FC and immediately SDC to cheaper...

Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
DL has lots and lots of data and can probably predict very well how many coach and C+ passengers will be no shows (or miss the connection) as scheduled departure time approaches. Coach can be overbooked at T-24 but depart with empty seats.

To the extent that FC SDC is easy, DL can sell more (paid) FC tickets or get people to generally pay more for such tickets since they're implicitly more flexible.
I'm aware that a flight that is overbooked may leave with empty seats. Delta regularly sells lower fare class tickets in overbooked situations when their math says that they will rarely have everyone show up. In the cases I am taking about, the flight has a 100% chance of having too many butts-to-seats (barring major IRROPS of some sort).

Every time I have seen the $1900 full-fare F bucket (for 1 F seat) available with Y sold out, it guarantees they'll be looking for volunteers at the gate.

My point is that if someone SDCs into that seat, it will cost Delta money. It's not just a revenue loss, it's cold hard money out of their pockets. Delta doesn't like that.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
I think you're imagining something happening that isn't actually shown to be happening. DL might be overselling F in some cases but I don't think anyone has actually SDC'd into an F cabin that is actually oversold.
By definition if they are offering a ticket for sale it is not an oversale. But it doesn't change the fact that they are booking you into a flight they know they will have to solicit volunteers.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by ethernal
It won't last. I guarantee it.
I don't think it's impossible that this policy is changed but it's far from certain, I would bet it's less than a coin flip.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:41 am

By definition if they are offering a ticket for sale it is not an oversale. But it doesn't change the fact that they are booking you into a flight they know they will have to solicit volunteers.
ok, change it to "overbooked"
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
When I travel, I know I need to be somewhere 90 days in advance. However, I am not always sure when business will wrap up.

If DL decided to force Z, or Z and I, to SDC only within fare class, they will definitely lose my cash F purchase at booking.
And most of the time, my return does not get SDC'd at all. While half of the time when it does, I SDC to a flight with more F inventory to sell at the last minute, and always in my case, an earlier flight that has less time to sell that inventory.
Spiff and hi55us like this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:34 am

🤨

o·ver·sell
/ˌōvərˈsel/
sell more of (something) than exists or can be delivered.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
All that said, I'm very curious to know what routes have a bunch of F inventory on day of departure. My routes seem to be 100% sold out a few days in advance for desirable times, if not all day long.
This is also my experience.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: SPG, DL
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
If DL decided to force Z, or Z and I, to SDC only within fare class, they will definitely lose my cash F purchase at booking.
And most of the time, my return does not get SDC'd at all. While half of the time when it does, I SDC to a flight with more F inventory to sell at the last minute, and always in my case, an earlier flight that has less time to sell that inventory.
This. The SDC flexibility is a perk or the fare, and for many people, one of the primary selling points. It's not going away.

For every SDC into the last F seat which causes a Y passenger bump (due to no more medallions being upgraded to free a Y seat) there is an SDC out of a full F cabin to open up a seat to prevent a passenger bump. In fact, personally, most of my SDCs are out of "prime time" flights that are full to mid-day flights that are relatively empty, all because my meeting ended early and I want to get home.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
It definitely won't be.

Because last minute F - regardless if it's half the price of another routing - is still last minute F pricing. It's more than Y in almost every case.

DL wants to SELL F. Within 24 hours of departure, they really don't care which seat on which flight on the routing gets occupied - they just want the extra revenue and for paid F to hit their numbers.
Eh, I think DL's real goal is to maximize revenues. Notwithstanding the meaningless statistic of what % of first class seats were sold as first class tickets. If that's not their goal, then short the stock.
There is certainly a case to be made that SDC into any available FC inventory can leave money on the table and is a potential leak in revenue management. I guess the question, as others have alluded to is whether that leakage is enough to offset the selling point benefit of the SDC policy, which frankly, they don't really market particularly well (let alone train their agents on it!)
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:23 pm

To all the posters who think delta allowing SDC to more expensive FC flight when you are still within 24 hr free cancellation window is a loophole waiting to be closed.. possibly you are on right track.
Remembers few yrs ago there were posters here bragging about SDC from MSP - JFK (or maybe reverse.. don't remember) to MSP - LAX - JFK just to enjoy D1 cabin and lots of MQM.

well that went away and now you can't SDC from normal FC to D1. This will probably end same way.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:10 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
I made my first attempt at SDC on a paid F with my wife on the PNR. I was denied a freebie change on the basis that my wife does not have status. Is this to be expected?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
I made my first attempt at SDC on a paid F with my wife on the PNR. I was denied a freebie change on the basis that my wife does not have status. Is this to be expected?
Wrong. Assuming there was availability of 2 F seats she should have been confirmed with you but charged $75.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Eh, I think DL's real goal is to maximize revenues. Notwithstanding the meaningless statistic of what % of first class seats were sold as first class tickets. If that's not their goal, then short the stock.
There is certainly a case to be made that SDC into any available FC inventory can leave money on the table and is a potential leak in revenue management. I guess the question, as others have alluded to is whether that leakage is enough to offset the selling point benefit of the SDC policy, which frankly, they don't really market particularly well (let alone train their agents on it!)
I hope their goal is to maximize profits or (better yet) stock market valuation. High revenues can be associated with negative profits.

The good news is that DL never accepted my offer of consulting services to show them how to sell virtually 100% of the FC cabin on every flight. The method would have shown how silly this is as a goal.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle

Wrong. Assuming there was availability of 2 F seats she should have been confirmed with you but charged $75.
Not necessarily ‘wrong’ depending on how you interpret the wording – poster said he was denied “freebie” SDC, but he could have meant that he was denied the waiver for his wife rather than denied the waiver for him and his wife. Everyone is entitled SDC, but only GM+ are entitled to have the $75 fee waived. As you point out, the waiver doesn’t extend to companions.
flyerCO and WillBarrett_68 like this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by jeet
To all the posters who think delta allowing SDC to more expensive FC flight when you are still within 24 hr free cancellation window is a loophole waiting to be closed.. possibly you are on right track.
Remembers few yrs ago there were posters here bragging about SDC from MSP - JFK (or maybe reverse.. don't remember) to MSP - LAX - JFK just to enjoy D1 cabin and lots of MQM.

well that went away and now you can't SDC from normal FC to D1. This will probably end same way.
You never should have been able to SDC to MSP-LAX-JFK even before that rule because that isn't a valid routing and hence wasn't a valid SDC to begin with. That isn't what caused that rule to change. Correcting that is an agent training issue, not a policy issue.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.