Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crazy Rebooking Issues with KLM/Delta

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:09 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Crazy Rebooking Issues with KLM/Delta

I recently experienced a pretty bad IRROPs after a 2 hour mechanical delay on ATL-AMS (Operated by Delta).

after arriving to AMS, I was supposed to fly AMS-HEL on the first flight of the day. During the mechanical delay while on the ground in ATL, I tweeted Delta asking to be rebooked on the next AMS-HEL flight which was showing plenty of seats at the time for me and my entire party. Twitter confirmed we were rebooked and I could see the new flight in the Delta App and online both marked as Confirmed.

Upon landing at AMS, and going to the KLM Lounge, they told us we were in fact not on that next direct flight AMS-HEL as it was overbooked. Instead we were on AMS-HAM-HEL, with the first leg KLM and the second leg Finnair. KLM was still selling seats on the last direct flight of the day to HEL as well as finnair selling seats on their direct flights during the day as well, but the KLM agents refused to rebook me on either of those as they were "Too-Full". Calling the diamond line they were unable to do anything as well.

It resulted in one of the worst travel days in recent memory for me, especially on Delta. Anyone ever encounter similar with rude/snarky KLM agents refusing to help in their own lounge?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:44 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ryandc99
I recently experienced a pretty bad IRROPs after a 2 hour mechanical delay on ATL-AMS (Operated by Delta).

after arriving to AMS, I was supposed to fly AMS-HEL on the first flight of the day. During the mechanical delay while on the ground in ATL, I tweeted Delta asking to be rebooked on the next AMS-HEL flight which was showing plenty of seats at the time for me and my entire party. Twitter confirmed we were rebooked and I could see the new flight in the Delta App and online both marked as Confirmed.

Upon landing at AMS, and going to the KLM Lounge, they told us we were in fact not on that next direct flight AMS-HEL as it was overbooked. Instead we were on AMS-HAM-HEL, with the first leg KLM and the second leg Finnair. KLM was still selling seats on the last direct flight of the day to HEL as well as finnair selling seats on their direct flights during the day as well, but the KLM agents refused to rebook me on either of those as they were "Too-Full". Calling the diamond line they were unable to do anything as well.

It resulted in one of the worst travel days in recent memory for me, especially on Delta. Anyone ever encounter similar with rude/snarky KLM agents refusing to help in their own lounge?
Did you go to the gate for the AMS-HEL DL had rebooked you on?

Yes, it's a 50/50 whether the KLM agents in the lounge one gets are super nice, professional, helpful, or snarky and rude.

This is why I stopped using the lounge for IRROPs. Last time I had an IRROP in January, I used the "secret" actual transfer desk behind the transfer station of kiosks near lounge 52.

If you go past the kiosks, there is a desk with a few agents there that faces the window. So you can't see that they're even there until you go around (or, if you don't know about it, then the kiosk has to "pass you on" to them)

The reason this desk is helpful is because an actual KL Ticket Agent is usually assigned there.

KL's airport agents go like this in hierarchy: Agent --> Senior Agent --> Ticket Agent --> Team Leader --> DL OSM Equivalent (I forget exactly what KLM calls this level, sorry)

The ticket agents usually have at least 3 stripes and are pretty senior and knowledgeable with sticky situations like these. Unless you were on an award, I'm not sure how Delta booked you but KL says it wasn't confirmed (was your ticket reissued to the new AMS-HEL flight?)

I'm not sure if EU261 applies for the short haul distance given KL is an EU carrier. Their comment about too full simply meant they made a personal assessment that the cost was too high - as if they personally own KLM - but that's just them being very practical and Dutch.

If Delta didn't reticket onto the new flight, the beef is with DL. If DL did, I would have gone for the gate and asked for the Team Leader at that set of gates. The Team Leaders are like DL Red Coats except they wear the same color uniform, so hard to ID unless you notice their stripes or their tags.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It was DL's obligation to handle the rebooking as it was the late-delivering carrier. While KL should have done it as a customer service gesture, it had no obligation to do so.

If you indeed were ticketed onto the KL nonstop, EC 261/2004 applies and you are due EUR 600 for being denied boarding and further compensation for the delay into HEL if the time constraints for a Type 3 flight (ATL-HEL) are met. Those are EUR 300 at 3 hours and EUR 600 at 4 hours. Thus, somewhere between EUR 600 and 1,200.

If DL did not reticket, you are SOL on the EC 261/2004 front and should look to DL for some form of customer service gesture.
WillBarrett_68 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Often1
It was DL's obligation to handle the rebooking as it was the late-delivering carrier. While KL should have done it as a customer service gesture, it had no obligation to do so.

If you indeed were ticketed onto the KL nonstop, EC 261/2004 applies and you are due EUR 600 for being denied boarding and further compensation for the delay into HEL if the time constraints for a Type 3 flight (ATL-HEL) are met. Those are EUR 300 at 3 hours and EUR 600 at 4 hours. Thus, somewhere between EUR 600 and 1,200.

If DL did not reticket, you are SOL on the EC 261/2004 front and should look to DL for some form of customer service gesture.
KLM is DLs handling agent at AMS. KLM did have an obligation, but as the agent for DL.

DL isn't an EU carrier, nor did their delayed flight depart from the EU. Thus I don't see how EC261 applies. While rebooking was done in air, it technically is no different from if it had been done on ground after flight arrived. The delay was still result of DL flight into, not out of EU.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OP needs to start by verifying whether DL confirmed the nonstop rebooking and properly reissued the ticket. If so, this would be an IDB according to EC261 AFAIK and compensation would apply. I don't think additional compensation for the resulting delay would be required. [BTW, there's definitive detailed and very helpful info on EC261 rules in a big (sticky?) threead in the BA forum.]
lindros2 and WillBarrett_68 like this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
I no longer use KL agents in AMS for IRROPS. The day of they have this standard thing of the gate controlling the flight. I just call the diamond line and they always, yes always, come through. Once I handed my phone over to the KL gate head person to talk to the Diamond line because Delta had booked me on the last available J seat AMS-JFK when the gate said they needed it for a KLM employee (non rev). So crazy. They actually were yelling at each other. I got on the flight. There are many things I like about DL’s JV, KL’s managing of Delta flyers is not one of them.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In the PMNW days, KLM at AMS was fine, once you got past the "that is not possible" responses to certain requests. Dutch efficiency worked well and it was easy to use miles for their Eurobusiness class segments or to get those seats when using miles to upgrade the TATL segments (despite married segment availability for the upgrade buckets and some rules about using codeshares).
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
I'm not sure if EU261 applies for the short haul distance given KL is an EU carrier. Their comment about too full simply meant they made a personal assessment that the cost was too high - as if they personally own KLM - but that's just them being very practical and Dutch.
EU261 absolutely applies.
I was on ATL > AMS > ARL (Stockholm-Arlanda) and had a similar situation.
(well we had a small delay due to door lock issue, then - after it wasn't fixed - had to return to ATL for pressurization - same issue - and I missed connection to ARL).
Delay was about 6-7 hours (arrived 5pm instead of 10am).
I got full compensation.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by lindros2
EU261 absolutely applies.
I was on ATL > AMS > ARL (Stockholm-Arlanda) and had a similar situation.
(well we had a small delay due to door lock issue, then - after it wasn't fixed - had to return to ATL for pressurization - same issue - and I missed connection to ARL).
Delay was about 6-7 hours (arrived 5pm instead of 10am).
I got full compensation.
Was your ATL-AMS flight operated by DL or KLM?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 3:50 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Thanks all for the replies. I was on a paid ticket (not award).

I will try the EU compensation route and see where it goes. Also thanks for the details on the different types of agents and that the lounge isn't the best way to go. If I had known that I would have approached it differently!

Too add insult to injury trying to claim ORC the segments all posted as not eligible for mileage credit 😄. Called DL and they are working on it.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite

I will try the EU compensation route and see where it goes. Also thanks for the details on the different types of agents and that the lounge isn't the best way to go. If I had known that I would have approached it differently!

Too add insult to injury trying to claim ORC the segments all posted as not eligible for mileage credit 😄. Called DL and they are working on it.
So did DL via Twitter reissue your ticket for the new nonstop AMS-HEL or not?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

Remember the caution. EC 261/2004 only applies if you were ticketed on the new KL flight by DL. If you were not and KL refused to ticket you onto that flight, that may be a customer service issue, but it is not a denial of boarding or delay issue under the Regulation.
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Surely as the AMS was operated by DL and that is what caused the delay then it is outwith of EU261?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Their comment about too full simply meant they made a personal assessment that the cost was too high - as if they personally own KLM - but that's just them being very practical and Dutch.
It's weird that so many people seem to prefer AMS over CDG for connections given that this sort of nonsensical baloney never happens at CDG.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
It's weird that so many people seem to prefer AMS over CDG for connections given that this sort of nonsensical baloney never happens at CDG.
I think issue with CDG is constant strikes, and layout vs AMS. FWIW, IME KLM agents are usually more willing to help. AF agents seem to be strictly by the books, even if it means inconveniencing a passenger even more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.