Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Where to catch the MD-88 and MD-90 from the Pacific Northwest?

Where to catch the MD-88 and MD-90 from the Pacific Northwest?

Reply

Old Jun 14, 19, 11:45 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Programs: MP Gold; ROP Silver
Posts: 274
Where to catch the MD-88 and MD-90 from the Pacific Northwest?

Does anyone know if there is any airport in the PNW, or where is the nearest airport that I can fly in either or both of these planes before they are phased out?

When I used to live in TX, I used to fly to LAX/ SFO often and I would always see one or two MD-90s, and a couple MD-88s there. I don't seem to see them as often in SEA/ PDX.

If not, would I need to fly to MSP or ATL to catch a flight on either of them?

I'm trying to complete the whole series. I've flown on the DC-90-30, B717, MD-81, MD-82. I don't think there are any MD-87s left flying around.

Thanks for any info!
hikouki is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 19, 2:08 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 3
I think your hunch is correct about not being many. I am based out of PDX and only have flown on E175s or CRJs on the entire west coast and SLC.

ATL and MSP is your likely bet.
PNWandbeyond is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 19, 3:45 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: BOS
Programs: DL PM 1MM, MR LT Plat Premier
Posts: 2,822
The MD-88s and MD-90s are almost entirely based out of ATL now, so that's where you'll have to go to catch one.
LoganFlyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 19, 6:33 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DEN/SFO/PVG
Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Gold, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, NA EE, Hertz PC
Posts: 17,114
Wait someone actually wants to fly one of these planes?
eneq, BenA and golfr like this.
mnredfox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 19, 7:55 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 45
I checked my flight history and actually flew an MD-90 from PDX-MSP in May 2017. Looking now, though, it seems like that route is all 737/A320/757.
blueflyer3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 19, 7:59 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MCO
Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, RC/MR/SPG Plat, HHonors Gold
Posts: 6,097
I believe there are some MD-90 between SLC and ATL. Not sure if they go any farther out of SLC at all. For the MD-88 I don't think you'll find may if any destinations west of Texas.
cmd320 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 19, 8:09 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Posts: 4,228
Originally Posted by blueflyer3 View Post
I checked my flight history and actually flew an MD-90 from PDX-MSP in May 2017. Looking now, though, it seems like that route is all 737/A320/757.
PDX-MSP was an MD-90 for a long time when I lived there.Took it often on the way to MSN.
apodo77 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 19, 8:11 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Programs: Yes
Posts: 545
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
I believe there are some MD-90 between SLC and ATL. Not sure if they go any farther out of SLC at all. For the MD-88 I don't think you'll find may if any destinations west of Texas.
Nope, no MD90's between ATL and SLC. The furthest west they currently go out of ATL is ELP. MD88's can be found at OMA, ICT, and OKC.

The only passenger MD's currently flying out of MSP and DTW are AA MD83's to DFW.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 15, 19 at 8:17 am
xliioper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 19, 8:14 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MCO
Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, RC/MR/SPG Plat, HHonors Gold
Posts: 6,097
Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
Nope, no MD90's between ATL and SLC. The furthest west they currently go out of ATL is ELP. MD88's can be found at OMA, ICT, and OKC.

The only MD's currently flying out of MSP and DTW are AA MD83's to DFW.
Wow, they must really be drawing them down. I could have sworn as recently as 5-6 weeks ago Delta was selling me a connection ATL-SLC on an MD-90.
cmd320 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 19, 8:29 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: DTW
Programs: DL - GM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, SPG - Plat, Omni - Black, Avis - First
Posts: 789
As of summer 2018, all DL MD-88 flying is out-and-back turns from ATL.

As of just this past week, now all MD-90 flying is consolidated to ATL as well. They are now gone from DTW and MSP.
DTWflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 19, 8:33 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BMI
Programs: AA Gold, Delta, Amtrak
Posts: 396
Originally Posted by mnredfox View Post
Wait someone actually wants to fly one of these planes?
I would much rather fly a MD-88 or MD-90 than the new 737-900's.
KBMIFlyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 19, 9:06 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Programs: DL 2 Million Miler/Diamond; UA 1K Premier; Hyatt Platinum; Hilton Gold; National Executive Elite
Posts: 857
Earlier this year DL was still running the M90 on MSP-GEG. But itís always gone away in the summer as larger planes are used.

Going forward I doubt youíll see it again as DL is really keeping them within a couple of hours of ATL. November 2019 DL shows 320, 321 out of GEG to MSP.

Originally Posted by hikouki View Post
Does anyone know if there is any airport in the PNW, or where is the nearest airport that I can fly in either or both of these planes before they are phased out?

When I used to live in TX, I used to fly to LAX/ SFO often and I would always see one or two MD-90s, and a couple MD-88s there. I don't seem to see them as often in SEA/ PDX.

If not, would I need to fly to MSP or ATL to catch a flight on either of them?

I'm trying to complete the whole series. I've flown on the DC-90-30, B717, MD-81, MD-82. I don't think there are any MD-87s left flying around.

Thanks for any info!
n7371f is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 19, 1:55 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: ATL
Programs: DL, Hilton Gold, PriorityPass
Posts: 89
Check out these links to see where they fly. I think ELP is the furthest west from ATL, so I think they all stay within a 1300 mile radius of ATL and ATL is the origin or destination for every flight.

https://flightaware.com/live/aircrafttype/MD88

https://flightaware.com/live/aircrafttype/MD90
Chadg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 19, 2:06 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 12,623
Originally Posted by Chadg View Post
... I think ELP is the furthest west from ATL, so I think they all stay within a 1300 mile radius of ATL and ATL is the origin or destination for every flight.
iirc ATL<ó>ELP was the last route for Deltaís 727-200 (~2003)
jrl767 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 19, 2:17 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Posts: 2,232
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
Wow, they must really be drawing them down. I could have sworn as recently as 5-6 weeks ago Delta was selling me a connection ATL-SLC on an MD-90.
I'd be very surprised if they were running an MD-90 on that route except as some sort of re-positioning one-off (although not sure why an MD-90 would need to pass through SLC unless it was on the way to some sort of heavy MX in APAC). Given that it is hub to hub, they pretty much exclusively use larger capacity planes on those routes (757, A321, 739, and up until reecently they were using the last Domestic 767s on this route as well). The MD-90 is 20 seats smaller than the next smallest plane (739) they regularly fly there.
ethernal is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread