Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Where to catch the MD-88 and MD-90 from the Pacific Northwest?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to catch the MD-88 and MD-90 from the Pacific Northwest?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2019, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Since the MD-88 isn't generally rated to fly out of SLC it will be hard to find them.
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Wait someone actually wants to fly one of these planes?
The MD-88 is my favorite of the routine domestic fleet. And I can't even notice that they are flying fewer of them lately. I have been on 12 of them in the last three weeks.
cerealmarketer likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles Platinum Medallion
If you can get a reasonably priced flight to BWI (usually the cheapest airport in the DC region), ATL-BWI has both MD88 and MD90 back and forth for most flights. Many frequencies on the route, too.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
As the dispatch reliability gets worse on these aging aircraft, they’re staying closer to home in ATL where TechOps can keep an eye on them and can swap in spares easily on short notice. It’s like an elderly person moving to a planned retirement community near the hospital.

Other than the 717, you’re gonna need to plan a few east coast trips to pick up the remaining McDonnell-Douglas fleet...
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Thanks for all your responses, guys!

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Wait someone actually wants to fly one of these planes?
Just for posterity's sake! LOL

If the MD-11 and DC-9-50 were still around, I would hunt them down as well. LOL
I flew the DC-10 once as a child, and I barely remember it. I flew the DC-9-30 with a different airline when I was a teen and deplaned on the rear stairs. That was an interesting experience!

Originally Posted by dtwtransport
If you can get a reasonably priced flight to BWI (usually the cheapest airport in the DC region), ATL-BWI has both MD88 and MD90 back and forth for most flights. Many frequencies on the route, too.
Cool!

Originally Posted by indufan
Since the MD-88 isn't generally rated to fly out of SLC it will be hard to find them.

The MD-88 is my favorite of the routine domestic fleet. And I can't even notice that they are flying fewer of them lately. I have been on 12 of them in the last three weeks.
Interesting that the MD-88s have a 3-2 seating configuration whereas most DC9s/MD80s had 2-3.
cerealmarketer likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:57 pm

A DL pilot told me MD90s will fly indefinitely after 88s are retired.

He seemed lucid.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:12 pm

Kind of crazy to think that they've now been narrowed down that much just to ATL. They were always such a staple of the fleet - almost the boring, default aircraft that you'd just assume you're going to be on when taking any flights out of the major hubs. I won't mind the upgraded interiors, PTV's, and nicer planes like the A220 and even ERJ fleets, but I'll miss the fact that for the longest time, these aircraft were what it meant to fly Delta... and the silent takeoffs in first class.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:03 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LegalTender
A DL pilot told me MD90s will fly indefinitely after 88s are retired.

He seemed lucid.
That was indeed the plan until very recently, when they started accelerating the MD-90 retirements due to a spike in (engine??) maintenance costs and issues...
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Basically if you want to fly on one you have to make your way over to ATL or some other East Coast destination. Otherwise the 717 is your best bet.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by BenA

That was indeed the plan until very recently, when they started accelerating the MD-90 retirements due to a spike in (engine??) maintenance costs and issues...
It was last Monday he mentioned the decision to delay MD90 retirements. Made it sound like it had just come down.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by LegalTender
It was last Monday he mentioned the decision to delay MD90 retirements. Made it sound like it had just come down.
I still expect them to retire the MD-90.

That said, in principle there is value in having low fixed cost / high operating expense planes in the fleet - keep them mostly parked in the winter and quieter seasons and fly them during peak summer season. Historically Delta has had a slightly higher peak-to-trough ratio than their competitors, and that has largely been enabled with their old, cheap (fixed costs) planes parked during low demand periods.

That said, the issue is the pilot pool (and to a lesser extent, MX inventory and expertise) that has to be maintained. You have to have enough work for them during the off-season so to speak. Are MD-90 and MD-95/717 flyable by the same pilot pool?
BenA likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by DTWflyer
As of summer 2018, all DL MD-88 flying is out-and-back turns from ATL.

As of just this past week, now all MD-90 flying is consolidated to ATL as well. They are now gone from DTW and MSP.
True. SLC used to have a number of MD-90's but no longer.

I have not been on a MD-90 since 2015. I think that flight, BOS-MSP, was the last MD-90 I will be on. It's been even longer for any MD-80 for me.

On take off, they are quiet.

Last edited by Toshbaf; Jun 16, 2019 at 3:09 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.