Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta flight from Indianapolis to Paris diverted to Detroit after FA assault & vomit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta flight from Indianapolis to Paris diverted to Detroit after FA assault & vomit

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2019, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Paul510
DL flies non-stop from IND to CDG? Wow that is route news to me, has IND become a focus city or something?
Kind of. NW made IND a focus city to try and put ATA out of business.....and they did. It has relatively maintained that since and commonly referred to a focus city here. However, a recent semi-official list of focus cities from Delta didn't include IND.

Delta provides non-stop service from IND to ATL, DTW, MSP, BOS, LGA, JFK, RDU, MCO, RSW, CUN, SLC, SEA, LAX and CDG.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by xooz
The prospect of eight hours with the lingering smell of vomit would make me consider disembarking in DTW.
Oh yeah ! Try this one on vomit in J calss !
vomit on a seat (news story)

BTW I agree with you.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: UA - Silver, Hertz-5 star
Originally Posted by nk15
I think it was by accident, they confused IND with IAD, and they kept it as joke.

Or they confused CVG with CDG, one or the other...
damn that's funny, I'm glad IND has non-stop service to Europe, but it does seem out of place on the route map. back in the day I once rode on that famous IND-CVG Delta route, to catch another flight at CVG obviously when it was a DL hub.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
The flight was deplaned and passengers were booked overnight before taking off on Friday morning for Paris.
If one's schedule was not too tight, that would be sweet. I love non-red eyes to Europe! Seems like only a few cities to LHR have them.

If they took off in the am, one wouldn't miss their hotel reservation. Looks like the flight, DL 9900, left at 9:51 am, arriving at 11:40 pm. It would have been nicer to arrive at 10:40 pm but it's always a balance between leaving too early.

Looks like the plane flew to New York, south of Rochester, then turned around to DTW.

>> If they arrived at 8:08 pm and the flight was cancelled at 9:45 pm and the recommended check in was at 7 am, what would you do? Would you rush to get your own hotel then seek reimbursement or wait for hotel vouchers and arrive in your hotel room at midnight and leave the hotel by 6:15 am?

Last edited by Toshbaf; Jun 16, 2019 at 3:25 pm
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
>> If they arrived at 8:08 pm and the flight was cancelled at 9:45 pm and the recommended check in was at 7 am, what would you do? Would you rush to get your own hotel then seek reimbursement or wait for hotel vouchers and arrive in your hotel room at midnight and leave the hotel by 6:15 am?
If I was flying D1, I'd wait and get put up in the Westin. When I had a mechanical cause most of a STL-SLC to misconnect, by the time we got to the gate they had hotel vouchers printed for everybody in both classes, so I'd expect that the D1 customers wouldn't have to wait. If anything, they'd instruct them to go to another empty gate and set up a dedicated line there.

If I was flying coach, it would depend on how cheap the nearby hotel prices were. If they were under $100, I'd probably just get a room and get some sleep.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:08 pm

FYI the IND CDG route only exists because the city subsidizes it.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by WhiskeyBravo
FYI the IND CDG route only exists because the city subsidizes it.
It's the state.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
Wow they really had to backtrack to get to DTW: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...223Z/KIND/KDTW
I wonder if that was chosen because it was the nearest DL hub and could easily do cleaning and new crew? Or needed to burn/dump fuel before landing a 767-heavy? Seems like they were a lot closer to BUF or ROC, but maybe they only do closest airport for medical emergency?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would assume that a 767 could land at ROC/BUF/SYR, but it's not completely obvious, nor would those airports necessarily have the necessary aircraft stairs or even gates with jetway setups for a 767. Passenger handling (rebooking, meal and hotel vouchers) would be a mess at any of these outstations. It's not clear how quickly the airport ground handling agents could get staff to do a deep cleaning of the affected portion of the aircraft interior and change air filters, etc.

DTW would have experience in all of this and also probably have replacement FAs sitting reserve at the airport and 767-qualified cockpit crew required to be available on short notice within ready commuting distance.
wrp96 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by pleasantsn
Wow they really had to backtrack to get to DTW: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...223Z/KIND/KDTW
I wonder if that was chosen because it was the nearest DL hub and could easily do cleaning and new crew? Or needed to burn/dump fuel before landing a 767-heavy? Seems like they were a lot closer to BUF or ROC, but maybe they only do closest airport for medical emergency?
Based on the amount of time they were in the air my guess is they had to drop a LOT of altitude, and DTW was the best candidate for a safe decent from 30,000'. BUF or ROC were simply too close.
The fact that DTW has multiple daily flights to CDG makes the decision even easier.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
I didn’t realize they were that far past DTW and turned around... why not continue on to JFK, which also has a considerable Delta presence and would be closer to their destination?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:52 am

I would guess that DL has a 75/76 pilot base at both JFK and DTW but I don't know that for sure.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Was JFK having its own weather or other IROPs problems? I know the UA "hard landing" apparently caused EWR to lose a runway (as well as close the airport temporarily?), with EWR flights being diverted to other airports in the NYC and beyond area. Maybe NYC ATC was too busy to handle such a diversion.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by strickerj
I didn’t realize they were that far past DTW and turned around... why not continue on to JFK, which also has a considerable Delta presence and would be closer to their destination?
If I had to guess, part of it would be gate space and fuel burn. DTW probably had a free gate big enough to put a 767 at indefinitely. JFK gates (especially widebody gates) are at a premium. So instead of having to cancel or delay at least one other flight they went a little further to DTW and either didn't have to dump fuel, or had to dump much less than landing at JFK.

Also if people chose to just cancel their plans and head home (think 1-2 day business trips, or missed events) it's a lot easier to get people back to IND from DTW than from JFK.
MSPeconomist and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
What is wrong with people? Jesus.....
Just a garden variety jerk, stinko drunk would be my guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.